The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

This coming offseason may be a last straw for even the most loyal fans.  I hope they realize that.

Well even if the few fans ignore them they can just continue printing money with rev sharing, etc if they don't plan on spending anything. We'll all see how serious they are. This pitching staff is ready NOW.

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I hope the players and coaches didn't see this shit ( I believe they saw it already), don't think this team would have any fighting spirit now…

Team hasn't really had a fighting spirit all year.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Team hasn't really had a fighting spirit all year.

Yeah, that's someting they definitely had last year - they always seemed in it even when they were down.

This year they've reverted to the way they've been in the past - go down by 1 or 2 and it feels like 8 or 9.

As a very long time fan, I really have lots of words to say about this team. 

This team have no choice but to do their best to win the most games next year, I mean, the fans and the team can't afforded to bad again next season, it's the fifth season of this rebuilding (I still think we need to ignore the success of last season because of the 60 game only) and you just got the resources (money) to improve the roster. 

I believe a professional sports organization would working normally even without the fans, but if this team really cared the fans (reported 16 only that willing to give Jeter a shot) they should do their best to win, no matter what's their plan, winning with pitching and defense (low scoring team) or what, the fans just want to see this team leading when they turned on the TV or went to a ballgame. 

At the end of the day, you play the game to win no matter what's your plan.

Edited by taiwanmarlin

11 minutes ago, Hotcorner said:

yeah I don't buy that at all

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but why shouldn't we believe it? Until they prove otherwise anyway in terms of free agency or retaining players.

59 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but why shouldn't we believe it? Until they prove otherwise anyway in terms of free agency or retaining players.

I'm thinking like this too. I'm all for giving them the benefit of the doubt and everyone knows I despise assumptions especially when the assumptions come from stupidities but this ownership group is now at the put up or shut up time. I have a hard time believing they're gonna be so cheap but they need to start proving themselves sooner than later in terms of this topic and others. The honeymoon period I had of "it's a new group and they're not the old group so stop judging them based on the past" is starting to run thin. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mystikol87 said:

Don’t worry, people. $13M a year for an elite CF who is in great physical shape is way too much. And anyway, we have KAMERON MISNER.

This is starting to feel like exactly the way the front office thinks. 

• Sad 1

It's why people always don't take this team seriously. Other teams all stupid enough to pay players over 30 million a year until at the age of 40, only the Marlins the most smart to not pay their best player over 3/40 or 4/50 at the age of “32”, if it's really the way they evaluating the talents then just don't hope there would be one sustainable good team in the Miami under this regime. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm thinking like this too. I'm all for giving them the benefit of the doubt and everyone knows I despise assumptions especially when the assumptions come from stupidities but this ownership group is now at the put up or shut up time. I have a hard time believing they're gonna be so cheap but they need to start proving themselves sooner than later in terms of this topic and others. The honeymoon period I had of "it's a new group and they're not the old group so stop judging them based on the past" is starting to run thin. 

Yep. And I think we all should have really been more pissed than we were after the lame duck off-season. There are ZERO excuses though going into this coming off-season. ZERO. And I'm going to need to see more than just signing some pitchers to extensions because that still will do nothing to help the team WIN next season. This group of starters is 100% playoff worthy. Time to spend and shore up that awful lineup and get some bp arms who can actually strike guys out.

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I'm not sure if it's true or not but I do know that The Herald is garbage.  I wouldn't trust them or their sources. 

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I think they burned a lot of the benefit of the doubt they had last offseason.  As I've said before, I understand finances probably weren't good after last year, but the extreme penny pinching they did raises big red flags.

Agreed with your overall take, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.