The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

Posted (edited)

The Marlins have the best run differential in the NL East (currently plus-21) and the fourth-best run differential in the NL overall in spite of being absolutely ravaged by injuries all season long. They are not nearly as far away as some people would have us believe.

The thing we obviously need more than anything is bats, and even though Marte isn't exactly elite, he is our best one right now. We also need to keep in mind that he is having the best season of his career (.876 OPS; his career high is .845). He owns a lifetime slash line of .287/.344/.451 (.797 OPS), which is solid, but not great. He is also 32 years old (turns 33 in October), so I don't necessarily blame the FO for being cautious with him. Now obviously, not willing to even offer him a respectable deal is a different story, but if he wants $15 million a year, I wouldn't fault the FO for walking away.

That being said, I think extending him and landing another big bat this offseason—whether that comes via free agency or trade—is obviously the ideal scenario. Hopefully, the two sides can find some common ground.

Edited by Valid

3 minutes ago, Valid said:

Now obviously, not willing to even offer him a respectable deal is a different story, but if he wants $15 million a year, I wouldn't fault the FO for walking away.

I think most of us agree with this. Though the amount of years is also a factor.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

I think most of us agree with this.

Possibly, but you know for sure there will be some people who will flip if he wants something like 4/60 and the Marlins say no.

7 minutes ago, Valid said:

Possibly, but you know for sure there will be some people who will flip if he wants something like 4/60 and the Marlins say no.

Oh I am sure. All along though I have just wanted them to make a fair effort, same thing I wanted with realmuto in the off-season. Making no effort or an unrealistic effort would be unacceptable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valid said:

The Marlins have the best run differential in the NL East (currently plus-21) and the fourth-best run differential in the NL overall in spite of being absolutely ravaged by injuries all season long. They are not nearly as far away as some people would have us believe.

The thing we obviously need more than anything is bats, and even though Marte isn't exactly elite, he is our best one right now. We also need to keep in mind that he is having the best season of his career (.876 OPS; his career high is .845). He owns a lifetime slash line of .287/.344/.451 (.797 OPS), which is solid, but not great. He is also 32 years old (turns 33 in October), so I don't necessarily blame the FO for being cautious with him. Now obviously, not willing to even offer him a respectable deal is a different story, but if he wants $15 million a year, I wouldn't fault the FO for walking away.

That being said, I think extending him and landing another big bat this offseason—whether that comes via free agency or trade—is obviously the ideal scenario. Hopefully, the two sides can find some common ground.

Yeah, someone looks at the standings and it looks like this team is terrible.  But they really aren't - the pitching is there.  just haven't had anywhere near consistent enough offense to overcome even the miniscule runs the starters are allowing on most given nights.

• Like 1

Between not realizing that Anthony Bender is clearly his best reliever and the team getting picked off now 15 (!) times on the bases, the time has come.

It’s been fun, Don. Lasted more years than other Marlins managers, but this is awful. 

Oh yeah and we’re the worst team in the division despite having the best run differential. Another major reason to get fired.

Someone definitely needs to be fired after tonight's game... This embarrassment and piss-poor management cannot continue... I feel bad for the pitchers who have had countless games wasted because this team cannot hit when it matters, cannot steal, cannot get back to the bag in time, cannot bunt, cannot hit and run, cannot execute a squeeze play, cannot comprehend situational hitting...

The FO did enough to cause this mess but a lot of this team's struggles is on Don and his bullshit line-ups, bullpen decisions, PH decisions and the overall unpreparedness that is evident ...

I tried to cancel my MLBtv tonight but apparently if you buy for the season, they have your money... I really do not want to pay any more money for this flaming dumpster fire of shit.  I said it before, this off-season will determine if I still wish to give a fuck about this team... I'm tired and I have had enough...

Fuck you Jeter.  Fuck you Sherman.  Not sure Ng deserves one...yet

and Fuck You Don.

This is the most fucked up dysfunctional piece of shit of a franchise that I have ever seen.  Just fucking contract them and put us out of our goddamn misery.  The FO obviously doesn't care so why should we.  I really hope no one buys another ticket to watch this crap.  Even if Rogers starts, who cares?  They will lose 2 to 1 anyway...

I’m actually pretty convinced that the coaching staff deserves more blame than the front office at this point.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve criticized the front office plenty too and they deserve to be criticized.

But when you put a team together that has a +20 run differential through 80 games, you don’t expect to be 12 games under .500 in last place (in this shit division for that matter).

People don’t talk about it in the media because it’s expected for this franchise to stink, but this particular team has underachieved. 

They suck in close games (reflection on coaching) and they are terrible at fundamentals (fair or not, bad look on the coaching).

Kim Ng could honestly come out right now and bring up the run differential as a reason why she expects better W-L record, and she’d have a fair point. 

5 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Dont we already have a thread about this.

Some mod needs to do some moderating around here and merge these threads.  

No, this is warranted.

If Anthony Bender was good enough to get two threads, Mattingly is equally bad enough to get two "fire him" threads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Someone definitely needs to be fired after tonight's game... This embarrassment and piss-poor management cannot continue... I feel bad for the pitchers who have had countless games wasted because this team cannot hit when it matters, cannot steal, cannot get back to the bag in time, cannot bunt, cannot hit and run, cannot execute a squeeze play, cannot comprehend situational hitting...

The FO did enough to cause this mess but a lot of this team's struggles is on Don and his bullshit line-ups, bullpen decisions, PH decisions and the overall unpreparedness that is evident ...

I tried to cancel my MLBtv tonight but apparently if you buy for the season, they have your money... I really do not want to pay any more money for this flaming dumpster fire of shit.  I said it before, this off-season will determine if I still wish to give a fuck about this team... I'm tired and I have had enough...

Fuck you Jeter.  Fuck you Sherman.  Not sure Ng deserves one...yet

and Fuck You Don.

This is the most fucked up dysfunctional piece of shit of a franchise that I have ever seen.  Just fucking contract them and put us out of our goddamn misery.  The FO obviously doesn't care so why should we.  I really hope no one buys another ticket to watch this crap.  Even if Rogers starts, who cares?  They will lose 2 to 1 anyway...

The weird thing is - I felt like they did all the little things right last year, and they don't seem to be doing ANY of them right this year.  I just don't understand what happened.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The weird thing is - I felt like they did all the little things right last year, and they don't seem to be doing ANY of them right this year.  I just don't understand what happened.

Kinda weird how that is true for Don as well.  Starts from the top.   

Hard for players to go out and win games when your dopey manager isn’t putting you in the best chance to win. 

With the shortened 2020 season, Don managed to win each game.  This year we have seen it all.  Gooofy lineups, bad rest days, backwards bullpen order.  

Its really no surprise. 

12 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

This team lacks fundamentals, it lacks the base stealing / small ball we had last year

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

Dont we already have a thread about this.

Some mod needs to do some moderating around here and merge these threads.  

With how you feel about Donnie, you still want to merge threads when it comes to Erick.   🤦‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, Erick said:

Rowson can now be fired immediately as well for his pinch-hitting decision in the 9th inning.

Mattingly stupid enough to choose Leon over Lewin ?

Rowson stupid enough to choose Leon over Panik ?

Obviously somebody is making that decision behind them, what a shame. 

7 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

This team lacks fundamentals, it lacks the base stealing / small ball we had last year

Thats a huge piece of it. They don't play smart baseball at ALL this season and it shows by their utterly abysmal record in games decided by two runs or less. They went from stealing bags (Berti stole home twice in a week on squeeze plays!) to being picked off nearly twice as many times as the next TEAM in all of MLB. How many times do we have to watch someome not just be able to move a guy over?! And don't even get me started at the 3-0 swings when they need runs that I've seen this season. The only team effort we've seen this year is the one between Don and the FO to utterly tank this franchise and bring us back to a laughing stock bottom feeder status. THAT has been impressive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.