The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

On 6/5/2021 at 6:38 PM, Erick said:

Actually, one of the many negatives of this year is that Jon Berti has reverted back to what he was during his minor league career.

Berti kind of stinks too. .180/.289/.295 in 143 plate appearances to be exact. We stink.

At least he shows the will to live while at the plate. Diaz looks like he just hopes the ball hits him in the head and ends him right there. I'm kidding of course... I'm not wishing that on no one and I'm exaggerating for effect, but MY POINT is that Diaz looks like he'd rather be anywhere but up at the plate. To me, it looks like Berti is trying to hustle a hit by any means necessary. That's the attitude we need when the offense is shit and no better replacements are available.

As aggravated as we all are right now... the really bad stuff has been less than two weeks, there's still time for the FO to shuffle things around and at least get the season more respectable again. Though every day that they wait is obviously hurting.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

As aggravated as we all are right now... the really bad stuff has been less than two weeks, there's still time for the FO to shuffle things around and at least get the season more respectable again. Though every day that they wait is obviously hurting.

I'm still irritated when they bench a guy who was hot so that they can stick to the player rotations. But I blame the FO on that more than Donnie, since I think that the FO picks the lineups these days. It's the bullpen management that has been questionable the entire time. I like Donnie and want him to finally get a taste of the World Series, but I don't trust him to manage playoff games where you have to go deep into your pen.

1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

I'm still irritated when they bench a guy who was hot so that they can stick to the player rotations. But I blame the FO on that more than Donnie, since I think that the FO picks the lineups these days. It's the bullpen management that has been questionable the entire time. I like Donnie and want him to finally get a taste of the World Series, but I don't trust him to manage playoff games where you have to go deep into your pen.

I will say it feels like the FO is meddling with the lineups for whatever reason. I've never seen Don or any other manager suddenly start running out this many batshit crazy lineups for weeks on end now. I don't understand it and even if Don does lose his job he doesn't seem like the type that would tell what really happened, if Ng or Jeter really is meddling.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Becoming pretty convinced that Kim Ng is kind of clueless to be honest. She’s getting a pass for all of this.

Whose idea was it to call up Thompson today? Or have us playing short handed for like half the season. She’s been terrible.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Erick said:

Becoming pretty convinced that Kim Ng is kind of clueless to be honest. She’s getting a pass for all of this.

Whose idea was it to call up Thompson today? Or have us playing short handed for like half the season. She’s been terrible.

100% agreed. 

1 minute ago, Erick said:

“You want Trevor Rogers instead?”

-Kim Ng probably

Dodgers wanted Jake Eder and we gave them Alex Vesia. So shouldn't you be offering me ... IDK, Morton? Civale?

48 minutes ago, Michael said:

Didn't they say the FO was all "group decisions" or whatever?

Ah, who even knows ...

I'm willing to bet that only Don would be the one to say "it's all on me guys"  fwiw

that said, the Ng/Jeter combo has been atrocious.  For someone who came into a gig with a lot of credentials - the offseason and in-season has been shit.  Failure to address issues when you already have players available to do so with at the lower levels is unforgiveable.  You can argue all you want that "but they suck too". We KNOW what kind of player Isan is by now, same with Sierra.  Give someone else a shot. I guarantee you the results will not be WORSE than losing. 

I'm really not even blaming Don anymore because we've seen him long enough to know he's not THIS bad at decision making so I'm convinced there is some serious tampering going on from the FO.  Meh, call me a conspiracy nut if you will but that's what I'm going with.  F**k 'em

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hovertical said:

I'm willing to bet that only Don would be the one to say "it's all on me guys"  fwiw

that said, the Ng/Jeter combo has been atrocious.  For someone who came into a gig with a lot of credentials - the offseason and in-season has been shit.  Failure to address issues when you already have players available to do so with at the lower levels is unforgiveable.  You can argue all you want that "but they suck too". We KNOW what kind of player Isan is by now, same with Sierra.  Give someone else a shot. I guarantee you the results will not be WORSE than losing. 

I'm really not even blaming Don anymore because we've seen him long enough to know he's not THIS bad at decision making so I'm convinced there is some serious tampering going on from the FO.  Meh, call me a conspiracy nut if you will but that's what I'm going with.  F**k 'em

He made weird moves last year, and I realize some of the players (especially bullpen) are different, but I feel like this season the weird moves have been above and beyond how many happened last year.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hovertical said:

The covid season last year was harder to juggle, with double-headers, covid positive cases and consecutive games (18) with no days off.   Yet it was managed well with Mike Hill and Don won MOTY?   There’s no chance Ng would have called up Sixto & Rogers down the stretch last year, based on what we see now.  

I agree,  Don is in the middle and has to lay down. That is why the press is so controlled and we have no transparency. 

I said this earlier, but I think Jeter assumed the GM position would be relatively easy to replace and duplicate. This team is to young for a new GM who doesn’t have much experience.  Maybe Hill finally had free reign last year to do what he couldn’t under Loria.  He certainly made Jeter look good and put Don in a position to win.  Kinda feels like Ng is a corporate overlord who wants to sell or move the team with no care for the fans. 

Hopefully Ng is a fast learner and Jeter demands results, because this team (prospects) has a window of opportunity for greatness. 

Edited by FishFry

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.