The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

A lot of ideas/suggestions have been put forth, both in the offseason and during the season, including calling up guys (the easiest one to do) - they instead did nothing and/or called up the wrong guys for no reason.

Literally almost every post game thread has had suggestions on things she should have done by now and even before the season started. But she's done a whole lot of nothing save for collecting a paycheck.

13 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2021-roster.shtml

Aside from Jesus Sanchez, who the fuck should be called up?

Not exactly a lot of actual options available without DFA'ing a player. 

The problem more so, has been the lack of demotion fron the bullpen and the lineups.  Everyone is comfortable knowing they won’t lose their jobs or even be demoted.  We deserve some player accountability at the very least just to look competitive.  That’s not hard, instead we get a mix and match, heap of garbage with no threat of demotion that breeds inconsistency.  No press, no transparency.  We just found out today information about Sixto that should have came out a week later.  How can you justify that?

It’s both of the front office and Don’s fault. Don’s in game decisions haven’t improved and year after year he’s still the same manager LA had to fire to win a World Series. The front office on the other hand refused to add bridge players to this lineup. They signed Duvall, a career platooner, and expect that somehow he’ll be an every day player while Tyler Naquin, who always hit, is killing it in Cincy and UTL guys like Eire Adrianza and Josh Harrison are producing as well and would’ve stretched the bench. Heck, Harrison is good enough to have been a Day 1 starter here and it would’ve moved BA to RF where his athleticism would’ve played better.  There’s a clear difference between Hill and Ng and I didn’t think that highly of Hill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2021-roster.shtml

Aside from Jesus Sanchez, who the fuck should be called up?

Not exactly a lot of actual options available without DFA'ing a player. 

That’s the problem as a whole with this FO. We’re deep but all of them are a year away. Shit, Devers is at least 2 but he’s somehow showing competency up here(speaks to his potential) but did we add any bridge guys? No. We had to “fix” a bullpen and completely ignore that the fielding rotation was ridiculously top heavy. We easily could’ve added someone like Eire Adrianza, Charlie Culbertson, Hanser Alberto, Josh Harrison, etc just to stretch the bench but nope! We need to go add Zach Pop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Let's not pretend like we'd have been DFA'ing HOF'rs.

So who are you DFA'ing and why.  

Though reasoning and ability to eat salary for anyone making more than MLB minimum is a requirement as well.

Seriously, looking at this mess of a roster, I"m not exactly sure what you want Ng to do.

She had no money to spend in her first offseason.

She had no idea of what she really had in her system, so making trades would be hit or miss.

You have certain members of the front office above her that are putting their hands into the collective cookie jar and essentially overriding her.

The blame end of day lies on Jeter and ownership.

1. for not giving a real working budget

2. for being too meddling.

Seriously, Jeter is just like Loria in the meddling.  Fact.   Actually maybe worse in that he does it constantly.  At least Loria would go through periods when he would be less meddling. 

1 hour ago, ZfromCIS said:

That’s the problem as a whole with this FO. We’re deep but all of them are a year away. Shit, Devers is at least 2 but he’s somehow showing competency up here(speaks to his potential) but did we add any bridge guys? No. We had to “fix” a bullpen and completely ignore that the fielding rotation was ridiculously top heavy. We easily could’ve added someone like Eire Adrianza, Charlie Culbertson, Hanser Alberto, Josh Harrison, etc just to stretch the bench but nope! We need to go add Zach Pop.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

spacer.png

What money issue? Majority of the players named in my post signed MiLB deals. Tyler Naquin, who’s 3x the OF Duvall has ever been, signed for 1.5 mil. Way under Duvall. 

Maybe this is a bit of a different take but all of you are upset at a collaborative front office structure and I'm over here thinking it might be better for our team?

Yes I know the too many cooks in the kitchen argument but a collaborative front office covers inexperience of both Jeter and Ng. Maybe giving total control to Ng, or anyone else for that matter, wouldn't be the right move for this organization now?

I'm more wondering why 6 adults are all being such slow steppers. I'd expect a collaborative front office to be making more moves, not less. The lack of urgency from the whole group is dumbfounding. 

This also makes me think the division of power isn't equal, someone is overriding everyone else because how in the world are all those people in agreement that Jesus Sanchez shouldn't be up or that we shouldn't be more proactive in improving the roster right now. 

My point is, arm side run, that this means there is a team of people to blame who are apparently all idiots instead of just one and the way the last month or more has gone I'm just shocked that this isn't the doing of one stubborn person who has total control. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Das Texan said:

The Marlins need to wake up and figure out who the fuck makes the final decision.  A collaborative  approach sounds all warm and fuzzy in theory until it comes down to making a decision and being the one in charge.   

Its what I've said all along.  Jeter is massively underqualified and has no business making any real decisions on day to day operations.  You can surround yourself with whatever you want, but if you still insist on being part of the decisions then what the fuck is the point in the end.

But how do you know they don't have the right balance to the group effort? 

And Jeter can be part of the team because the others have more experience than him. We don't know that he's overriding everyone's advice with his own final say. I feel like Jeter knows he isn't experienced and I'd be shocked if he's there Loria-ing everyone and making all the final calls purposely against everyone else's advice. 

17 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

There is no way you know if this is true or not. 

Jeter being included in the Herald article for the "group decisions on personnel" would point to it being true, to be fair.

How much of a say he really gets, we don't know. 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Das Texan said:

So who are you DFA'ing and why.  

Though reasoning and ability to eat salary for anyone making more than MLB minimum is a requirement as well.

Seriously, looking at this mess of a roster, I"m not exactly sure what you want Ng to do.

She had no money to spend in her first offseason.

She had no idea of what she really had in her system, so making trades would be hit or miss.

You have certain members of the front office above her that are putting their hands into the collective cookie jar and essentially overriding her.

The blame end of day lies on Jeter and ownership.

1. for not giving a real working budget

2. for being too meddling.

Seriously, Jeter is just like Loria in the meddling.  Fact.   Actually maybe worse in that he does it constantly.  At least Loria would go through periods when he would be less meddling. 

We want Ng to demonstrate a bit of urgency because we are Marlins fans.

You are patient with Ng. Because you’re a Cardinals fan.

39 minutes ago, Michael said:

Jeter being included in the Herald article for the "group decisions on personnel" would point to it being true, to be fair.

How much of a say he really gets, we don't know. 🤷‍♂️

No, Das said Jeter meddles and does it worse than Loria, that means he goes in there and ignores everyone's advice and does the exact opposite of what is suggested. 

Jeter is part of the team, nowhere does it say that he's meddling like Loria. Das made that up.

And even being part of the team doesn't say much. Loria was the kind that if everyone said go left he made everyone go right but we have no clue if Jeter is like that. Even being the final say doesn't say about how he does it because the final say could just be affirming what everyone else wants. If everyone says go left and Jeter agrees to go left then that's not meddling.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Erick said:

We want Ng to demonstrate a bit of urgency because we are Marlins fans.

You are patient with Ng. Because you’re a Cardinals fan.

again, who from that 40 man roster are you DFA'ing?

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

No, Das said Jeter meddles and does it worse than Loria, that means he goes in there and ignores everyone's advice and does the exact opposite of what is suggested. 

Jeter is part of the team, nowhere does it say that he's meddling like Loria. Das made that up.

And even being part of the team doesn't say much. Loria was the kind that if everyone said go left he made everyone go right but we have no clue if Jeter is like that. Even being the final say doesn't say about how he does it because the final say could just be affirming what everyone else wants. If everyone says go left and Jeter agrees to go left then that's not meddling.

if you are in the ownership you have the final say, lets not pretend that if the owner is in the group, that he doesnt carry significant clout, and essentially has the final say.

11 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

if you are in the ownership you have the final say, lets not pretend that if the owner is in the group, that he doesnt carry significant clout, and essentially has the final say.

That's not the point...

My boss has 100% final say over me at my job but she agrees with essentially 100% of my thoughts, suggestions, and advice when it comes to what I do because she trusts me as it pertains to my part of the workplace. My boss's final say is basically just giving a thumbs up to everything I suggest.

You are exaggerating what final say means. There is zero evidence that Jeter is going against what Ng and the others are suggesting. There is zero evidence as to how much Jeter meddles and manipulates. You are absolutely assuming that he's Loria-like.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

That's not the point...

My boss has 100% final say over me at my job but she agrees with essentially 100% of my thoughts, suggestions, and advice when it comes to what I do because she trusts me as it pertains to my part of the workplace. My boss's final say is basically just giving a thumbs up to everything I suggest.

You are exaggerating what final say means. There is zero evidence that Jeter is going against what Ng and the others are suggesting. There is zero evidence as to how much Jeter meddles and manipulates. You are absolutely assuming that he's Loria-like.

Is your boss owner?

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

But how do you know they don't have the right balance to the group effort? 

And Jeter can be part of the team because the others have more experience than him. We don't know that he's overriding everyone's advice with his own final say. I feel like Jeter knows he isn't experienced and I'd be shocked if he's there Loria-ing everyone and making all the final calls purposely against everyone else's advice. 

I’m confused what Bruce Sherman’s role is in all this. Isn’t HE technically supposed to be the Loria, not Jeter? Jeter is more the Samson type I would think as far as roles are concerned. 

10 hours ago, FishFry said:

The problem more so, has been the lack of demotion fron the bullpen and the lineups.  Everyone is comfortable knowing they won’t lose their jobs or even be demoted.  We deserve some player accountability at the very least just to look competitive.  That’s not hard, instead we get a mix and match, heap of garbage with no threat of demotion that breeds inconsistency.  No press, no transparency.  We just found out today information about Sixto that should have came out a week later.  How can you justify that?

WHAT RELIEF PITCHER ARE YOU CALLING UP????

41 minutes ago, Erick said:

I don’t know. We have such an awesome squad that all 40 are irreplaceable.

Come on.

You know ownership isnt going to start eating hundreds of thousands of dollars and then millions of dollars in some cases at this point.

Lets get real.

17 minutes ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

I’m confused what Bruce Sherman’s role is in all this. Isn’t HE technically supposed to be the Loria, not Jeter? Jeter is more the Samson type I would think as far as roles are concerned. 

Sherman appears to have ceded the public role of ownership to Jeter for all intents and purposes. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.