The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Jeter knows how to PLAY baseball. Doesn't mean he knows how to run a baseball franchise.

Which is why it's been mentioned plenty of times that he is purposely surrounding himself with people who have experience in running and developing other baseball franchises. Jeter isn't doing this by himself. 

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Which is why it's been mentioned plenty of times that he is purposely surrounding himself with people who have experience in running and developing other baseball franchises. Jeter isn't doing this by himself. 

Correct, but someone has to be blamed. When Jeter's blamed, his defenders show up. When Ng is blamed, her defenders show up. When Don is blamed, his defenders show up. Someone is to blame, right?

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Correct, but someone has to be blamed. When Jeter's blamed, his defenders show up. When Ng is blamed, her defenders show up. When Don is blamed, his defenders show up. Someone is to blame, right?

I agree with that and I'm frustrated with Jeter and company right now too and as the face and top figurehead of the organization if anyone is gonna take blame yes it should be Jeter, I'm not arguing that.

I just keep being confused at how people think this team is failing because Jeter's front office inexperience is the sole reason for everything. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree with that and I'm frustrated with Jeter and company right now too and as the face and top figurehead of the organization if anyone is gonna take blame yes it should be Jeter, I'm not arguing that.

I just keep being confused at how people think this team is failing because Jeter's front office inexperience is the sole reason for everything. 

I just think they're failing because they're friggin cheap and since Jeter is the figurehead owner I lean that way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

No its probably Jeter in conjunction with the polarizing Gary Denbo that make the final decisions.  Basically if Gary agrees with it, Jeter is good with it and vice versa if he disagrees.

Pretty much convinced at this point.

Prove me otherwise.

3 hours ago, hovertical said:

I just think they're failing because they're friggin cheap and since Jeter is the figurehead owner I lean that way.

They are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Jeter saying he only cares about winning and then refusing to spend ANY money basically is in direct conflict with wanting to win. 

This was from a mlb.com June 10th article about trends in the NL East...

Marlins: Cutting it close

Entering Thursday, the Marlins had surrendered 32 runs in the eighth inning this season -- their most of any frame. In three of their last five losses, they have blown a lead in the eighth or later. But that only tells part of the story. Miami has scored three runs or fewer in 35 of 61 games, including being shut out six times. There is little room for error for a bullpen that has a 3.84 ERA (13th in MLB), as the Marlins rank sixth with 169 total batters faced in high-leverage situations.

"I never anticipated us being a real high-scoring team," general manager Kim Ng said on Tuesday. "I don't think that's how we're constructed. We've always said that we were very pitching-centric. I looked at it, over the last day or so, 70% of our games are determined by three runs or less. I think that says something about the pitching, that we're very much in it most of the time. With the offense, I think that really magnifies the importance of each and every run. I think if we can get some more timely runs, this would look a little bit different." -- Christina De Nicola

------------------------------------------------

What I got out of this is that Don continues to make the same mistakes with his bullpen.  Look at last night, brings in Bass with a 3 run lead in the 8th and Bass promptly makes it a 1 run game.  I don't understand why Don wants to use Bender in the 6th and save Bass for the 8th. 

Also tells me they know the offense is an issue but they have no immediate plans to fix it.  More timely runs??? How about getting better hitters? Timely runs is not gonna happen when you trot Isan out there almost every damn day... If you rely heavily on pitching to overcompensate for bad hitting you're gonna lose 2 to 1 more than you will win 2 to 1, look at how many 1 run games this team has lost, obviously their plan is not working...

• Like 3

Honestly this is a mute point unless Jeter is willing to shock me and go after a legit guy with experience with young teams like Ron Washington or somebody like Joe Espada or Hensley Muelens that are just waiting for their shot. Other than that it’s probably going to be Rowson, Posada, or Al Pedrique which probably brings more of the same. Shoot, Mike Jacobs wouldn’t be bad if you surround him with vet coaches but they don’t have the balls to pull something like that.

Edited by ZfromCIS

I keep going back to this quote. from Ng.

"I never anticipated us being a real high-scoring team," general manager Kim Ng said on Tuesday. "I don't think that's how we're constructed. We've always said that we were very pitching-centric. I looked at it, over the last day or so, 70% of our games are determined by three runs or less. I think that says something about the pitching, that we're very much in it most of the time. With the offense, I think that really magnifies the importance of each and every run. I think if we can get some more timely runs, this would look a little bit different." 

-----------------------------

Another stupid 1 run loss and lack of run support / wasted start from the rotation.

Don's stupid fucking line-up didn't help

Like I said before, next offseason will mean a big deal to me.  If they keep Don as manager and do nothing to improve this team with the extra money coming in, I may seriously be done with this turd of a franchise.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CyggyMarlin said:

next offseason will mean a big deal to me.  If they keep Don as manager and do nothing to improve this team with the extra money coming in, I may seriously be done with this turd of a franchise.

I'm too old to switch teams. Apathy will set in for me. It has before.. they got me out of it last year and for a run this year.. but looks like more of the same. Very disappointing 

• Like 2

Just now, Iowa said:

I'm too old to switch teams. Apathy will set in for me. It has before.. they got me out of it last year and for a run this year.. but looks like more of the same. Very disappointing 

That's just it.  I've been a fan since Day 1.  Too many losing seasons from too many shitty owners.  At some point, you just get tired of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CyggyMarlin said:

That's just it.  I've been a fan since Day 1.  Too many losing seasons from too many shitty owners.  At some point, you just get tired of it.

I'm with you brother.. I've been a fan since 1995. I'm stuck with em as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Never too late to say fuck a franchise and move on tbh. 

I'm used to it. The Bulls since Jordan, the effing Bears.. the Blackhawks for the longest time.. and the Marlins. But, I'll never say eff it to any of my teams. I'll be with them to the bitter end, or when I end it all in a hail of gunfire lol

Day off tomorrow (with a short travel day coming up).

Ace on the mound.

Bad pitcher for the opposition.

Trying to avoid a sweep.

Every other manager in baseball: gives his team the best chance to win to salvage a game from the series, snap a losing streak, and get momentum going the right way heading into a new series.

Don Mattingly: gives every good hitter a day off, starts a Triple-A lineup, takes a shit in his hands. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Day off tomorrow (with a short travel day coming up).

Ace on the mound.

Bad pitcher for the opposition.

Trying to avoid a sweep.

Every other manager in baseball: gives his team the best chance to win to salvage a game from the series, snap a losing streak, and get momentum going the right way heading into a new series.

Don Mattingly: gives every good hitter a day off, starts a Triple-A lineup, takes a shit in his hands. 

He even gave Isan Diaz the GOAT the day off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.