The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

2 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

I keep going back to this quote. from Ng.

"I never anticipated us being a real high-scoring team," general manager Kim Ng said on Tuesday. "I don't think that's how we're constructed. We've always said that we were very pitching-centric. I looked at it, over the last day or so, 70% of our games are determined by three runs or less. I think that says something about the pitching, that we're very much in it most of the time. With the offense, I think that really magnifies the importance of each and every run. I think if we can get some more timely runs, this would look a little bit different." 

-----------------------------

Another stupid 1 run loss and lack of run support / wasted start from the rotation.

Don's stupid fucking line-up didn't help

Like I said before, next offseason will mean a big deal to me.  If they keep Don as manager and do nothing to improve this team with the extra money coming in, I may seriously be done with this turd of a franchise.

I won't be done/switch to another team, but I may stop caring.  Why should I care if ownership clearly doesn't?

This may be their last chance to get it right, which is obviously a big departure from how I felt throughout the rebuild and after last season.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 10:59 PM, Das Texan said:

No its probably Jeter in conjunction with the polarizing Gary Denbo that make the final decisions.  Basically if Gary agrees with it, Jeter is good with it and vice versa if he disagrees.

Pretty much convinced at this point.

Prove me otherwise.

Hard to believe that. Last year kinda proves who is to blame for this year.  Even Don’s management has shriveled into a corporate feel now.  

On 6/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, rmc523 said:

I don't necessarily mind a collective/collaborative effort for decision making, as it's good to have input from different sources.  But if it winds up crippling decision making (i.e. 3 want move A, 3 want move B, so they "wait and see" and do neither), that's not a good thing.

I am convinced that this is happening.

1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

I am convinced that this is happening.

Yes, there still needs to be a "buck stops here" decision maker......should be Ng, as that's her job.  But it's unknown how much control she truly has.

37 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

10 games under .500, it's just a perfect reason to fire him !!!

you can blame the FO (they deserve some blame) and injuries all you want,, but Don's line-ups and bullpen management have definitely contributed to being 10 under .500... He needs to go

49 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

10 games under .500, it's just a perfect reason to fire him !!!

what good does that gonna make ? Marlins aren't firing Mattingly in the middle of the season .

BTW I'm in favor he isn't a great Mngr and he gots to go, that's the reason he was let go in LA

Edited by el_gmac

9 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

you can blame the FO (they deserve some blame) and injuries all you want,, but Don's line-ups and bullpen management have definitely contributed to being 10 under .500... He needs to go

Certainly a lot of blame that can go around here.

We even have to throw some towards the hitting instructors. What exactly is going on there?

As much as we blame Don for the lineups (and yes they are bad lineups for sure), at what point do we just get pissed at the hitters for not doing their job? Pissed at the hitting coaches for not getting them adjusted?

We're already mad at the FO for the offense (Kim Ng's quote was damning), but time to add another group into that mix with the hitting coaches.

I'm not much of a batting average proponent, but holy hell, looking at the splits, whoever has batted 3rd through 8th this year doesn't have an average over .240 or an OBP over .320.

There's no patience in this lineup. The team has 2,513 plate appearances this year. Only 331 have started 2-0.

... I'd say be more patient and better results will come but looking at all the count splits, no, they are all just terrible. The approach is god awful. The situational hitting is completely nonexistent (see game 2 of this last series, 2nd n 3rd no out, didn't score).

60 homers, second worst in the NL, and if not for Road Aguilar, probably last.

We're 8th in the NL hits. Cool! Middle of the road! If the runs scored were also 8th in the league, we're probably in contention right now. But no, 12th. Striking out the second-most in the league while walking the 11th least.

It's just so bad. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know they hire Rowson to try to improve the offense (or showing the fans they have do something to improve the offense), but everybody knows it's impossible for a coach to make a “low scoring team ” becoming a “high scoring team ” with the same lineup…

I’m mostly in the “firing managers doesn’t make a difference most of the time” team, but Don is probably deserving at this point.

Being 10 games under .500 is relevant to the manager when that team has a positive run differential. 

This team also sucks fundamentally, which is a reflection on the manager. How many times have we been picked off on the bases already? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

I dont want to deprive you of my presence.  

I’m thankful for that.

Without your expertise, we would’ve never known it was going to take something happening to Dickerson or Duvall in order for Jesus Sanchez to get promoted.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Erick said:

I’m thankful for that.

Without your expertise, we would’ve never known it was going to take something happening to Dickerson or Duvall in order for Jesus Sanchez to get promoted.

With as much whining about him not being up, I figured I needed to point that out tbh. 

It doesn’t matter. Fire Mattingly then they promote Rowson, Posada, or Al Pedrique and it’s more of the same. 

They won’t go out and get a coach with a ton of experience with young teams like Ron Washington or an up and comer like Joe Espada. 

43 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

It doesn’t matter. Fire Mattingly then they promote Rowson, Posada, or Al Pedrique and it’s more of the same. 

They won’t go out and get a coach with a ton of experience with young teams like Ron Washington or an up and comer like Joe Espada. 

How do you know it's more of the same with Rowson, though? Or the others?

1 hour ago, ZfromCIS said:

I’m a little confused with the difference between Espada and Rowson in terms of being an up and comer. They’d be in the same category for me. 

6 hours ago, Michael said:

Certainly a lot of blame that can go around here.

We even have to throw some towards the hitting instructors. What exactly is going on there?

As much as we blame Don for the lineups (and yes they are bad lineups for sure), at what point do we just get pissed at the hitters for not doing their job? Pissed at the hitting coaches for not getting them adjusted?

We're already mad at the FO for the offense (Kim Ng's quote was damning), but time to add another group into that mix with the hitting coaches.

I'm not much of a batting average proponent, but holy hell, looking at the splits, whoever has batted 3rd through 8th this year doesn't have an average over .240 or an OBP over .320.

There's no patience in this lineup. The team has 2,513 plate appearances this year. Only 331 have started 2-0.

... I'd say be more patient and better results will come but looking at all the count splits, no, they are all just terrible. The approach is god awful. The situational hitting is completely nonexistent (see game 2 of this last series, 2nd n 3rd no out, didn't score).

60 homers, second worst in the NL, and if not for Road Aguilar, probably last.

We're 8th in the NL hits. Cool! Middle of the road! If the runs scored were also 8th in the league, we're probably in contention right now. But no, 12th. Striking out the second-most in the league while walking the 11th least.

It's just so bad. 😞

200.gif AT everyone GIF

3 hours ago, Erick said:

I’m mostly in the “firing managers doesn’t make a difference most of the time” team, but Don is probably deserving at this point.

Being 10 games under .500 is relevant to the manager when that team has a positive run differential. 

This team also sucks fundamentally, which is a reflection on the manager. How many times have we been picked off on the bases already? 

Someone looked that up the other day, and somehow it was only like 10, and somehow Isan was only 3 of those......I feel like both of those numbers are off just from watching.

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

With as much whining about him not being up, I figured I needed to point that out tbh. 

Guess you completely forgot the point earlier in the season when Duvall and Cooper were out, which is when we first started asking about Sanchez.