Ng answering questions

1 hour ago, Michael said:

And if he nets us at least two good bats, especially infield, I say go for it. Pablo could command a pretty big return since he still has a couple years of club control left.

I think you and I were the only two to say we've seen some Nolasco type vibes with Pablo.  If our pitching is as deep as we think it is here in the bigs and minors then yeah, he comes an INCREDIBLY valuable trade piece and i would be fully on board with moving him. I'd also be on board with keeping him and instead moving Sixto if he continues to have setbacks in rehab and they eventually see him as a reliever more than a starter due to conditioning concerns and the fact he got hammered any time he faced a team more than once.

As much as I love the guy, Aguilar could/should be moved too - i think he'll have a long career as a PH as well as he seems to be very adept at getting a single to bring in a guy in scoring position along with some spot starts for wherever he goes.

Isan, Sierra, Monte won't bring back a damn thing but they could literally outright release any of them and I wouldn't care. 

I do want them to keep Marte though, as someone said - finding a CF who can hit like that is tough.  They HAVE the money to keep him. Just freaking frontload the deal and don't give him an NTC so as he diminishes later on he won't make as much and will be easier to trade, if need be.  Ain't rocket science.  I have my doubts they'll keep him though simply because they're not going to give him a deal that pays him through his final season. He probably thinks he'll play til 40 or something. 

I do understand the concern of signing an aging player, but nobody is saying sign him to a Stanton-esque deal.  Do we think he'd take a 3/45, structured however (more at the front) with a 4th year option?

Edited by rmc523

41 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I do understand the concern of signing an aging player, but nobody is saying sign him to a Stanton-esque deal.  Do we think he'd take a 3/45, structured however (more at the front) with a 4th year option?

Don't see him taking that at all.  I think he'd be looking more for a 5/100 deal - but you could front load the shit out of that (they can afford it) and make the contract way more tradeable those last two seasons

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

He may look for that but is anyone going to offer it? Though I agree he would test the market and try for that.

i think if he maintains his current level of play and doesn't get injured the rest of the season he stands a fair shot getting that or very very close to it , assuming another pandemic doesn't happen and parks are expected to be at 100% all season going into 2022.  Anyway, would any of us really complain or feel that was an awful deal if it was front loaded at 5/100 for him to stay here?  I mean i'd be over the moon ecstatic with a 3/45 deal if he signed that but I just don't see him taking only 15 per for what are likely to be the best performing years he has left.  

Just now, hovertical said:

Anyway, would any of us really complain or feel that was an awful deal if it was front loaded at 5/100 for him to stay here?

I'd be elated to see them spend some money and retain a veteran productive FA.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

I'd be elated to see them spend some money and retain a veteran productive FA.

I wouldn't even feel like that was an overpay either.  Really wouldn't. I'd feel that was fair for both sides and be happy knowing that spot is covered for a few more seasons.

56 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Don't see him taking that at all.  I think he'd be looking more for a 5/100 deal - but you could front load the shit out of that (they can afford it) and make the contract way more tradeable those last two seasons

Could use it as a starting point.  But 5/100 sounds a bit steep I think

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Erick said:

I disagree with this, I wouldn't trade any more of our SP's.

If they want to hit better, they have money to spend. Controllable SP is very valuable. It's actually the toughest thing to get, all we have to do is help them. At some point, the media down here needs to start treating Bruce Sherman like they treated Jeffrey Loria. He better spend money this upcoming offseason, this team is ready to win with some better hitting. 

absolutely.   the entire rotation costs them next to nothing right now, if they don't spend now on hitters then you never will.  Going into next season you'd have Sandy/Pablo/Trevor now established and hopefully by then Sixto and maybe Elieser.  That is a damn good inexpensive rotation.  If you do not support that with talented bats then you are flat out not interested in winning, or you're exposed as a cheap owner.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hotcorner said:

absolutely.   the entire rotation costs them next to nothing right now, if they don't spend now on hitters then you never will.  Going into next season you'd have Sandy/Pablo/Trevor now established and hopefully by then Sixto and maybe Elieser.  That is a damn good inexpensive rotation.  If you do not support that with talented bats then you are flat out not interested in winning, or you're exposed as a cheap owner.

But where do you think the bats will come from next year without trading one of those guys? 

20 minutes ago, Hotcorner said:

Next year you hopefully have Cabrera, Meyer, or Eder, not Elieser.

Pardon me for asking but I'm actually wondering why Marte wants to stay here. I'm happy to hear it but I wonder if he was just being nice and gave a politically correct answer to Mish. Why wouldn't he rather test free agency? Maybe he's saying that if the money is right he wouldn't mind staying in Miami but I find it hard to believe it's actually a preference for him. With that said sometimes players have personal reasons too so it could be that.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

With that said sometimes players have personal reasons too so it could be that.

I believe Miami is closer to his family. If you recall, his wife passed away last year so being closer to his kids and other family is probably a big incentive.

38 minutes ago, hovertical said:

But where do you think the bats will come from next year without trading one of those guys? 

He literally said in the post spend on hitters, aka buy them.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Pardon me for asking but I'm actually wondering why Marte wants to stay here. I'm happy to hear it but I wonder if he was just being nice and gave a politically correct answer to Mish. Why wouldn't he rather test free agency? Maybe he's saying that if the money is right he wouldn't mind staying in Miami but I find it hard to believe it's actually a preference for him. With that said sometimes players have personal reasons too so it could be that.

Unless he just really loves it here for whatever reason?

He's been on a couple different teams, maybe it's been better here than those places?

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

He literally said in the post spend on hitters, aka buy them.

Unless he just really loves it here for whatever reason?

He's been on a couple different teams, maybe it's been better here than those places?

But we know they're not going to just buy all the hitters. That's not realistic at all. If you trust in guys like Sixto, Cabrera, Meyer and even Elisier then you can move a guy like Pablo for some good controlled bats too - the Gallen for Jazz swap has worked out pretty well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hovertical said:

But we know they're not going to just buy all the hitters. That's not realistic at all. If you trust in guys like Sixto, Cabrera, Meyer and even Elisier then you can move a guy like Pablo for some good controlled bats too - the Gallen for Jazz swap has worked out pretty well. 

Reality is, they probably won't do anything and let Marte walk and get a couple of scrap heap guys and repeat the "we never expected them to score a lot of runs, we're based on pitching and defense" line again.

• Banana 1

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Reality is, they probably won't do anything and let Marte walk and get a couple of scrap heap guys and repeat the "we never expected them to score a lot of runs, we're based on pitching and defense" line again.

Kim Ng doesn't need more info on this plan and feels ready to move forward.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I think you should have much confidence in this organization, I believe as a smart player as Marte he would be knows and likes the direction of this team to want to stay here longterm. No matter what, this team needs to do their best to retain him if they really know the goods. 

36 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

For what it’s worth, Ng’s decision not to extend Anderson looks good right now.

There's a bit of yes but also no in here. I think he's often overvalued by the fan base because he was one of the few bright spots during the shit years. Ultimately, he's not a middle bat though. He'd be great as a 6-7 type bat and I'd be thrilled to have him retained as such. His defense is better than his bat. He's another super streaky hitter and is not consistent week to week. This year, the whole team took a massive shit on the field offensively and he's been banged up so I guess we'll see how he handles it upon his return. I do NOT want them to overpay for BA though and I think Ng will let him go or move him for that reason. I'm ok with overpaying a dude like Marte a little bit but not BA. 

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.