Ng answering questions

I said it from the beginning of this whole ordeal they are going to overpay someone to come as  free agent after all the ills of hte past.

In order for free agents to see the Marlins as a legit player, its going to take an above market value deal.

Just offer that to Marte since you already have a relationship.

Find some starter, offer it to him as well.  Even if it doesnt work out, who cares.  They have tons of money and the benefits far outweigh the negatives in perception for future free agents.

Of course they also cant trade those same free agents a year later.

• Banana 1

19 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

I said it from the beginning of this whole ordeal they are going to overpay someone to come as  free agent after all the ills of hte past.

In order for free agents to see the Marlins as a legit player, its going to take an above market value deal.

Find some starter, offer it to him as well.  Even if it doesnt work out, who cares.  They have tons of money and the benefits far outweigh the negatives in perception for future free agents.

This.

yeah, kinda why I think 5/100 would not be an overpay for Marte - they have the money and it would lock down a spot for a few more years with a productive bat to boot.

I mean you also dream of them grabbing a Freeman (highly doubt he leaves ATL though) or maybe even a Bryant but I'm not so sure about that.  They have control right now with Marte though so that would be the easiest no-brainer step.  With the whole Jesus Sanchez service time manipulation (for a dude who went what, 1-25??! in his brief call-up) thing though I have honestly yet to see them actually be willing to spend any money to win.  They threw some into international signings and beefed up their analytics a bit but really, that just brings them up to par with other organizations. 

Like me, I know most of you will not quit being fans next year even if they don't resign Marte and don't spend anything on actual talent but there's at least no more excuses (the covid one was pretty thin this past offseason tbh as it was considering how cheap and perfect of a signing JT would have been) going forward.  Literally, they have to put up or shut up this coming offseason.  We'll know what type of owners they really are.  So while I won't stop being a fan I for sure will stop wasting my time watching the bulk of the games.  I'll follow the boxscores, etc. and maybe put a game on here or there if I'm bored but unless they show a serious commitment going forward I'll find something more entertaining to spend my time on until they are once again sold to someone else, hopefully someone who will spend for once. We deserve better! 

• Like 1

The question with Marte is how much money the market is offering, and then we can pay him some more if necessary.

The years shouldn’t be a problem. I highly doubt that any team is going to give him 5 years at his age so it shouldn’t be a problem.

He’s likely in the market for a 3-year deal and we’ll probably have to pay 60+ to keep him, especially if he continues at this rate. 

5/100 won’t happen because a good part of his value comes from his ability to play CF, and I’m pretty sure no team expects him to be in CF those 4th & 5th years. Questionable that he could play CF for more than a couple more seasons. I wouldn’t want him for 5/100, despite how good he is and how much I enjoy watching him play.

3 minutes ago, Erick said:

The question with Marte is how much money the market is offering, and then we can pay him some more if necessary.

The years shouldn’t be a problem. I highly doubt that any team is going to give him 5 years at his age so it shouldn’t be a problem.

He’s likely in the market for a 3-year deal and we’ll probably have to pay 60+ to keep him, especially if he continues at this rate. 

5/100 won’t happen because a good part of his value comes from his ability to play CF, and I’m pretty sure no team expects him to be in CF those 4th & 5th years. Questionable that he could play CF for more than a couple more seasons. I wouldn’t want him for 5/100, despite how good he is and how much I enjoy watching him play.

I think you might be thinking of this past offseason in what he might receive and I'm trying to combine a little bit of this past offseason and a normal offseason - in addition to how much offense in general has been supressed this year - if he maintains his current pace he'll be a premier bat.  Do I think 5/100 is an overpay?  yes, but do i think he'll have multiple suitors lined up at 3/60?  also yes - hence why i think it might take around 5/100 deal to secure him quickly (still prefer a front loaded deal so he's tradeable later on if needed)   I'd be happy with a 5/100 or a 4/80 front loaded deal - they can afford it. 

Marte only signed a 1 year extension last season so maybe he would be reasonable at 2-3 year deal. 3/50 could get it done now. Waiting might only drive up the price and being a mentor alone is worth the investment.

Go strong in free agency (K. Bryant & catcher)  The bullpen and rotation will be elite next year.   

24 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Marte only signed a 1 year extension last season so maybe he would be reasonable at 2-3 year deal. 3/50 could get it done now. Waiting might only drive up the price and being a mentor alone is worth the investment.

Go strong in free agency (K. Bryant & catcher)  The bullpen and rotation will be elite next year.   

Are there any good catchers available this coming UFA season?

1 hour ago, FishFry said:

3/50 wont get it done now.

2 hours ago, FishFry said:

Technically it was a club option that was exercised, not an agreed upon single year. And it was coming off a kind of sub par half season with the Marlins. His stock has definitely risen since then. Regardless with his age I don't see more than 3 or 4 years. Perhaps an option could be tacked onto that, but that's about it. He should be in around the $20 M AAV level. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Technically it was a club option that was exercised, not an agreed upon single year. And it was coming off a kind of sub par half season with the Marlins. His stock has definitely risen since then. Regardless with his age I don't see more than 3 or 4 years. Perhaps an option could be tacked onto that, but that's about it. He should be in around the $20 M AAV level. 

You guys seem to be looking at what he has done this year in a short span though.  Of course competing against other teams will dictate the market, but that doesn’t mean he’s worth it.  Someone mentioned 5/100?  Thats nearly what Realumto is making now at a premium position, anything more than 3/50 is too much. 

11 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

For what it’s worth, Ng’s decision not to extend Anderson looks good right now.

I don't think anyone here was advocating for some megadeal for Anderson, just a team friendly deal that would protect the team if/when he breaks out.  And if he doesn't you know what his salary would be.  Basically a sign that they'd start to extend some players and ultimately keep them.

9 hours ago, Das Texan said:

I do agree with this.

7 hours ago, hovertical said:

yeah, kinda why I think 5/100 would not be an overpay for Marte - they have the money and it would lock down a spot for a few more years with a productive bat to boot.

I mean you also dream of them grabbing a Freeman (highly doubt he leaves ATL though) or maybe even a Bryant but I'm not so sure about that.  They have control right now with Marte though so that would be the easiest no-brainer step.  With the whole Jesus Sanchez service time manipulation (for a dude who went what, 1-25??! in his brief call-up) thing though I have honestly yet to see them actually be willing to spend any money to win.  They threw some into international signings and beefed up their analytics a bit but really, that just brings them up to par with other organizations. 

Like me, I know most of you will not quit being fans next year even if they don't resign Marte and don't spend anything on actual talent but there's at least no more excuses (the covid one was pretty thin this past offseason tbh as it was considering how cheap and perfect of a signing JT would have been) going forward.  Literally, they have to put up or shut up this coming offseason.  We'll know what type of owners they really are.  So while I won't stop being a fan I for sure will stop wasting my time watching the bulk of the games.  I'll follow the boxscores, etc. and maybe put a game on here or there if I'm bored but unless they show a serious commitment going forward I'll find something more entertaining to spend my time on until they are once again sold to someone else, hopefully someone who will spend for once. We deserve better! 

I differ on the price there, but agree with everything else you've said here (similar to what I said somewhere around here - can't remember if it was this thread or not).

3 hours ago, hovertical said:

Are there any good catchers available this coming UFA season?

Isn't Contreras (Cubs) a FA?

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Hopefully the Marlins don't think like you because Marte's agent would laugh at that offer.

Realmuto is 5/115  so it’s more than fair for 3/50

Marte is currently at 1/12.5 this year.  3/50 would be a nice bump.  

But whatever

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Realmuto is 5/115  so it’s more than fair for 3/50

Marte is currently at 1/12.5 this year.  3/50 would be a nice bump.  

But whatever

Especially if frontloaded with incentives and an option, 3/50 with escalators to 4/80 ain't bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

Especially if frontloaded with incentives and an option, 3/50 with escalators to 4/80 ain't bad.

I hope he stays hot, but right now, his current stats are way over his projections so the numbers on here (not yours) are also inflated.   

Im not his agent but I think that would ink the paper. 

14 hours ago, hovertical said:

There's a bit of yes but also no in here. I think he's often overvalued by the fan base because he was one of the few bright spots during the shit years. Ultimately, he's not a middle bat though. He'd be great as a 6-7 type bat and I'd be thrilled to have him retained as such. His defense is better than his bat. He's another super streaky hitter and is not consistent week to week. This year, the whole team took a massive shit on the field offensively and he's been banged up so I guess we'll see how he handles it upon his return. I do NOT want them to overpay for BA though and I think Ng will let him go or move him for that reason. I'm ok with overpaying a dude like Marte a little bit but not BA. 

So I don’t disagree with your estimation of his skills. But I think that also means you can wait until he’s a free agent to try and re-sign him, rather than giving him an extension while he’s still club-controlled.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

4/80 seems high.  17 per year front loaded is fair.  Once his stats level out it will look like a slight over pay honestly.  

No trade clause if he requests with possible incentives. 

Edited by FishFry

7 hours ago, FishFry said:

4/80 seems high.  17 per year front loaded is fair.  Once his stats level out it will look like a slight over pay honestly.  

No trade clause if he requests with possible incentives. 

4/80 is after incentives, though, and that means he earned that big boost from the initial 3/50. I've been a proponent of incentive-heavy contracts for a while now, personally.

Here's how I'd see the deal, slightly frontloaded:

Year 1 - $18M, guaranteed

Year 2 - $18M guarantee plus incentives

Year 3 - $14M guarantee (Here's the $50M guarantee) plus incentives

Year 4 - Vesting option (tied to offensive stats) for about $20M (so there's some $10M on the table in incentives alone for him to reach this mark)

So the 4/80 option I'm proposing is basically all earned at the back half. Maybe even throw in another vesting option in year 4 to potentially escalate to 5/100-ish. Not much reason he can't still be good at 37, but again that would be an earned fifth year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.