6/14 at Cards - 8:15 pm

SonOfJack

2 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

A pitcher who comes into a game and is eligible for a hold and fails in his mission is charged with a blown save; there is no such thing as a blown hold.

That's according to Baseball Reference. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Hold

That wasn’t a hold situation. Bender would’ve been in line for the win. 

What you guys are trying to say is valid about the “blown save,” just saying it doesn’t apply in this case. Had it been the 6th inning or later in the same situation, yes.

10 minutes ago, Erick said:

No it isn’t. There are no blown saves in the 5th inning.

Did you not read the blown save thread I started? One of our prior blown saves was by Cimber in the 5th of game 3 on the season. The only thing that might make it not a blown save is the thing that @Michael brought up about Brax being unable to get a win. But you can get one in the 5th.

1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

Did you not read the blown save thread I started? One of our prior blown saves was by Cimber in the 5th of game 3 on the season. The only thing that might make it not a blown save is the thing that @Michael brought up about Brax being unable to get a win. But you can get one in the 5th.

Fake news.

2 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

image.png.2987450a5631533ff25faa44001501bc.png

In a game like that, the winning pitcher is at the discretion of the scorekeeper so I guess technically they had Elieser or Campbell in line for the win. It makes no sense I know, but basically you can’t be charged a blown save unless another pitcher is in line for a win. We’ll see after the game but I doubt they charge Bender with a blown save.

This is part of the reason, I hate the blown save statistic. If someone else had started the 5th and Bender had come in in the same spot, it certainly would have been a blown save. The pitcher of record rule is kind of stupid too.

1 minute ago, Erick said:

In a game like that, the winning pitcher is at the discretion of the scorekeeper so I guess technically they had Elieser or Campbell in line for the win. It makes no sense I know, but basically you can’t be charged a blown save unless another pitcher is in line for a win. We’ll see after the game but I doubt they charge Bender with a blown save.

The way I read it, if you fail to hold a lead, you get a blown save.  Someone would have eventually gotten the win if you held it, right?  I could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Erick said:

I guess you are right. Archer would have gotten a blown save in the one I referenced, since he relieved Hill in the 5th, but blown saves is still a stupid stat.