Vaccines

Harrison

I'm not anti vaccines but I am a little skeptical about one that's still so new.

I'm not thinking about conspiracy theories or microchips or anything like that but I'm just not so sure about so many people putting something into their bodies not knowing the longterm effects it could have. And to me it's not about testing it in a lab. Gotta literally wait years and years to see if anything comes up.

11 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm not anti vaccines but I am a little skeptical about one that's still so new.

I'm not thinking about conspiracy theories or microchips or anything like that but I'm just not so sure about so many people putting something into their bodies not knowing the longterm effects it could have. And to me it's not about testing it in a lab. Gotta literally wait years and years to see if anything comes up.

I understand this angle, but at the same time, we also don't know what the long term effects of COVID are either. Either way, you're taking a chance with the great unknown of what future effects there will be. I, personally, would rather take the chance with the one that I at least know protects me and those around me in the short term.

A vaccine pushed out as quickly as possible, with all the pressure and financial incentive in the world? The fact that we're still learning about how we react to it mere months into its release gives me pause. I also have no faith in the scientific community to independently and objectively do anything.

I'm young and healthy; I won't get it. I think older people should. It's all about measuring risk. For now, I'll just wear my mask and glasses until the rest of you get vaccinated, because it makes sense to me. I'm very often the only person wearing a mask at places, and I've gotten over the stares and feeling different

Edited by Entendu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

I understand this angle, but at the same time, we also don't know what the long term effects of COVID are either. Either way, you're taking a chance with the great unknown of what future effects there will be. I, personally, would rather take the chance with the one that I at least know protects me and those around me in the short term.

That's fair but it's possible that I may never get covid, the vaccine I'm choosing to put it in my body, so I could choose not to get the vaccine and then I've never gotten either covid or the vaccine. Your wording makes it sound like u must choose one or the other, as if not getting the vaccine means I'm definitely gonna get covid. The reverse isn't true either. You can also get the vaccine and still get covid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Entendu said:

A vaccine pushed out as quickly as possible, with all the pressure and financial incentive in the world? The fact that we're still learning about how we react to it mere months into its release gives me pause. I also have no faith in the scientific community to independently and objectively do anything.

I'm young and healthy; I won't get it. I think older people should. It's all about measuring risk. For now, I'll just wear my mask and glasses until the rest of you get vaccinated, because it makes sense to me. I'm very often the only person wearing a mask at places, and I've gotten over the stares and feeling different

This is how I think and this is the line I wish more people would take as far as who should and shouldn't get it.

I'm dumbfounded by how many think everyone should take it or everyone shouldn't and there's no in between and anyone who doesn't agree is a conspiracy theorist or whatever. 

• Like 1

I ended up getting the covid one just in case. I had five direct exposures at work in a small office and somehow never got sick or tested positive. I was lucky. So I wanted to take as much luck out of the equation personally.

Entendu's point is absolutely valid and he's still being careful outside of that.

I waited a few months because I'm also young and healthy, so I wanted others who aren't either young, healthy, or both to get their chances first.

• Like 1

The Covid Vaccine from Pfizer and Moderna is fascinating in how they are basically built.

First real vaccine using mRNA which has really never been done.

It opens up the door for a myriad of other potential vaccines or ways to combat other diseases.

It also shows that often the insane red tape that exists for a vaccine or for any medication is stupidly long.  Should it be this short?  no.

Should it be as long as it is?  no.

We wont even get into the profits and costs of many drugs, thats a different discussion for another day.

Those that believe you are getting implanted with a microchip are the dumbest people alive.  Sadly too many of them reproduce.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This is about where I stand on it.  I'm not anti vaccine, but also haven't gotten it for the reasons you said - the timeline of it has me uncertain of it.  I have no problem with people getting it - get it if you want it, don't if you don't.  I also think people are so eager to return to normal that many who would normally be skeptical of a vaccine developed in such a short timeline have overlooked that in a quest to get life back to normal and open things back up.

I also don't agree that there should be "haves" and "have nots" as far as what you can/can't do whether you've gotten the vaccine or not.  i.e. "can't do xyz because you don't have the vaccine."

I do casually joke with friends that in a few decades you'll see on TV the lawyer group commercials saying "DID YOU TAKE THE CORONAVIRUS VACCINE???   CALL JOHNSON SMITH FRANKLIN LAWYERS, YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO COMPENSATION!"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I do casually joke with friends that in a few decades you'll see on TV the lawyer group commercials saying "DID YOU TAKE THE CORONAVIRUS VACCINE???   CALL JOHNSON SMITH FRANKLIN LAWYERS, YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO COMPENSATION!"

Johnson Smith Franklin are a bunch of has-been hacks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

Those that believe you are getting implanted with a microchip are the dumbest people alive.  Sadly too many of them reproduce.  

I think it would be more accurate to say that people have put it in question.  That doesn’t mean they believe it altogether. Although I don’t believe it’s a microchip, it’s hardly dumb to question it with the covid mandates, curfews and guidelines that have forced so many of us to be restrained.  We should be under the realization that another variant outbreak could lead to new laws demanding full compliance with some sort of medical clearance.  With that said I don’t think its some obscenity if one believe it to be a chip.

Those concerned with the quickness of the vaccine are valid in their thinking, but keep in mind that Covid is an off shoot of SARS and there was already work being done on that vaccine. I have a family member that's a doctor that was in the test group for Moderna so I'd feel more confident in that one, but it truly is everyone's own choice. I glad I got mine!

• Like 1

I got the Pfizer vaccine. If there are side effects, I don’t really care about my health to be honest. I feel like I’ve done worse things to myself like becoming a Marlins fan. 

• Haha 3

I got Covid last year and it was pretty rough for about seven weeks before I got over most of the symptoms. I haven't been able to taste or smell coffee for almost a year and I can't smell lemons or oranges - although I can taste them? For awhile I couldn't taste strawberries either but that came back after I was vaccinated.  The vaccine also seemed to have given me some lung capacity back that I had seemingly lost as well. I'm disappointed to see so many of y'all won't get it but whatever. Won't argue about it here because neither of us will change our minds and we'll only think worse of the other.

• Like 1

I was wondering how long it was gonna take for us to just be able to post with our regular accounts in this sub-forum. I wasn’t about to go through all that new account crap lol 

As for this conversation, I’m kind of emotionally exhausted by it at this point, but I’ll gloss it over a bit.

All I ask from people now and going forward is to be COMPLETELY skeptical of everything the government requires you to do, especially if it makes someone rich. Do your own research on everything, form your own opinions, and don’t become part of these “movements” that feels they need to tell others what to do with their bodies and lives cause that’s super annoying and creepy. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 8:12 AM, marlinsmaniac said:

All I ask from people now and going forward is to be COMPLETELY skeptical of everything the government requires you to do, especially if it makes someone rich. Do your own research on everything, form your own opinions, and don’t become part of these “movements” that feels they need to tell others what to do with their bodies and lives cause that’s super annoying and creepy. 

This includes Abortion right?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

This includes Abortion right?

Don’t be an instigator, you read what I wrote. Interpret it in whatever way unties you’re panties.

edit: no you know what, fuck that, you made that comment to insinuate that I’m basically a hypocrite. But you literally don’t know me. If you did then you would know that I’m one of the most objective people that you’ll ever meet. So to answer your question, though it’s a shitty choice to have to make, it’s a decision that should be left to the parents. So yes, my comment extends to abortions. Cause I’m an OLD SCHOOL liberal back when that meant pack a bowl, live, and let live. I don’t live for any Fucking politician nor do I believe any of them give a flying fuck about anything or anyone other than money. Democrat, republican, reptilian, I don’t care. I was taught to keep my head down, work, and worry about me and mine. Happy with that?

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, marlinsmaniac said:

Don’t be an instigator, you read what I wrote. Interpret it in whatever way unties you’re panties.

edit: no you know what, fuck that, you made that comment to insinuate that I’m basically a hypocrite. But you literally don’t know me. If you did then you would know that I’m one of the most objective people that you’ll ever meet. So to answer your question, though it’s a shitty choice to have to make, it’s a decision that should be left to the parents. So yes, my comment extends to abortions. Cause I’m an OLD SCHOOL liberal back when that meant pack a bowl, live, and let live. I don’t live for any Fucking politician nor do I believe any of them give a flying fuck about anything or anyone other than money. Democrat, republican, reptilian, I don’t care. I was taught to keep my head down, work, and worry about me and mine. Happy with that?

I think Das just wanted to see if you were true to “everything” like you mentioned on your original post.  

Edited by FishFry
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, FishFry said:

I think Das just wanted to see if you were true to “everything” like you mentioned on your original post.  

I know, there are just less leading ways to ask things though. Plus, the topic is about vaccines, not abortions so it was just an annoying red herring he felt like bringing in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I know, there are just less leading ways to ask things though. Plus, the topic is about vaccines, not abortions so it was just an annoying red herring he felt like bringing in.

You wouldn't have responded if an Abortion topic was on here and you were directly asked that question.

So...

#sorrynotsorry

21 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

You wouldn't have responded if an Abortion topic was on here and you were directly asked that question.

So...

#sorrynotsorry

How the fuck do you know that? As a matter of fact I would have, because I enjoy thoughtful conversation and friendly debates (hence why I’ve inexplicably been on this forum for 18 years).

The part that bothers me is you brought in a whole other topic to try to “gotcha” me cause you thought I was some lapel pin-wearing good old boy that picks and chooses when to tell people what to do. I even prefaced my vaccine comment saying I had no interest in the conversation itself, but I added my two cents in a non-violent, non-confrontational way STRICTLY BECAUSE I’m the kind of guy that would have responded even if the entire topic were about abortions. But this is not just with me, you’re the most obnoxious person on here who is hated by 80% of the forum for a reason. You have nothing better to do than directly antagonize people and that’s sad. I feel sorry that you’re so bored with your life that you feel the need to jump on a forum for a team you publicly disowned just to be a dick.

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

How the fuck do you know that? As a matter of fact I would have, because I enjoy thoughtful conversation and friendly debates (hence why I’ve inexplicably been on this forum for 18 years).

The part that bothers me is you brought in a whole other topic to try to “gotcha” me cause you thought I was some lapel pin-wearing good old boy that picks and chooses when to tell people what to do. I even prefaced my vaccine comment saying I had no interest in the conversation itself, but I added my two cents in a non-violent, non-confrontational way STRICTLY BECAUSE I’m the kind of guy that would have responded even if the entire topic were about abortions. But this is not just with me, you’re the most obnoxious person on here who is hated by 80% of the forum for a reason. You have nothing better to do than directly antagonize people and that’s sad. I feel sorry that you’re so bored with your life that you feel the need to jump on a forum for a team you publicly disowned just to be a dick.

Wow I seem to have struck a nerve.  

I feel sorry for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.