Building collapse in Miami

pollythewog

My in laws live in a similar beach side condo not too far away and my wife and daughter were there last night. Crazy. So sad. Not likely to get much positive news in the rescue efforts but praying that at least some are able to be found alive.

33 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Only possible good news is that reports are saying many of the units are used as vacation homes and may not have been occupied at the time of the collapse. Hopefully those unaccounted for weren't in there, and just in their other homes.

Heard a little while ago that over 50 people who should have been there have called in to report that they weren't there. Good start.

Circumstantial evidence of course, but I have a friend who is now an architect in Oregon who moved out of Miami as soon as he could because he said almost EVERY building inspector was just paid off before even performing any kind of inspection. 😬

A friend of mine has a coworker who has an aunt/uncle/cousin that are unaccounted for still....I think he said they were on the 3rd floor.

I'd have to imagine at this point, most unaccounted for either weren't there as pointed out, or unfortunately no longer with us without a miracle.

I have a friend who is an architect. Grew up in Miami. Went to school in Miami. Graduated from school in Miami. Was told to "set money aside" to pay off inspectors and not to worry about building to code if that would cost more than the inspector's bribe would. He was told this was just "the way things are" in Miami.

He moved. 

17 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

I have a friend who is an architect. Grew up in Miami. Went to school in Miami. Graduated from school in Miami. Was told to "set money aside" to pay off inspectors and not to worry about building to code if that would cost more than the inspector's bribe would. He was told this was just "the way things are" in Miami.

He moved. 

Is this a problem that is exclusive to Miami though?

I've heard from the past how easily it is to buy politicians in Miami compared to other places.

How else do you think the Marlins got the ballpark built?

Samson learned truly how to grease the wheel and it was well, well worth it. 

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

I'm not really sure why they are being so stubborn and think that there are any more survivors at this point.

Can't just automatically assume the 126 missing are all dead either, some just might not have gotten in touch yet.

5 hours ago, Michael said:

Can't just automatically assume the 126 missing are all dead either, some just might not have gotten in touch yet.

I mean....at this point, how would people have not heard of it happening to know to reach out.  It's been everywhere.

I ate nearby there with some friends last night and we ended up walking by...they have quite a perimeter set up in all directions from it, but we were able to walk to within two blocks west on the street (88th) -- just crazy to see.