Building collapse in Miami

pollythewog

On 7/4/2021 at 11:29 AM, rmc523 said:

I ate nearby there with some friends last night and we ended up walking by...they have quite a perimeter set up in all directions from it, but we were able to walk to within two blocks west on the street (88th) -- just crazy to see.

the whole thing was demolished, right? Or is half of the building still standing? 

3 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

the whole thing was demolished, right? Or is half of the building still standing? 

Correct - they imploded the remaining part of it on the 4th in the evening.  It likely wasn't safe to leave it up, as I'd imagine the rubble from the initial collapse was helping to support what was still standing to a degree.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Correct - they imploded the remaining part of it on the 4th in the evening.  It likely wasn't safe to leave it up, as I'd imagine the rubble from the initial collapse was helping to support what was still standing to a degree.

Makes sense, I heard it was that combined with the uncertainty of Elsa that made them hurry with the demolition that was of course always going to happen sooner or later. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

Makes sense, I heard it was that combined with the uncertainty of Elsa that made them hurry with the demolition that was of course always going to happen sooner or later. 

Talk about overhyped/dramatized.

Loved the weather channel notifications a week ago "ELSA HEADED STRAIGHT FOR SURFSIDE COLLAPSE!!!"  When the track was almost always toward the west coast.  Ridiculous how they (general media) sensationalize everything to get clicks/ad revenue.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.