Sign in to follow this  
SongInTheAir

Marlins Trade Zac Gallen for Jazz Chisholm

Completely shocked that they traded Gallen. Seriously? I understand Chisolm was Arizona's top prospect but Gallen was looking like a top of the rotation piece. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marlino said:

A .253 hitter across 4 minor league years. Star players perform at all levels.  Cabrera was hitting .375 when he was called up and Fernandez was like 14-1 in AA (from memory don't quote me). The point is I'm not impressed with the rebuilding during the rebuilding. But I'll wait until the end of next season to see how Zac and Jizz perform.

I’m with you.  No way would I trade Gallen.  Freaking ridiculous that Mike Hill still has job at this point.  

I like how nobody talked about Gallen before this season, saying we got nothing from St Louis and if anything he's just a back of the rotation guy... the guy has a good start to this season and suddenly he's a future ace that we traded away for nothing. Fingers crossed that this specific nothing is our shortstop in our next playoff run.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

1 minute ago, 97marlin said:

Does chisholm go to double a?

Hasn't been assigned yet officially as far as I know but probably will go there.

I was just yesterday looking at Gallen's numbers. The strikeouts are GREAT, and obviously the ERA is terrific. But below the surface, there may be trouble lurking:

• Walks: 4.5/9 innings...this is alarming
  • BABIP: .260; Line Drive %: 27%....this is not sustainable
  • HR/FB: 8.3%...MLB average is ~13-14%. This is extraordinarily low and not sustainable

Unsurprisingly then, while his ERA is fantastic at 2.72, his FIP is 3.58, and his xFIP is 4.46. I love what he's done so far, and yet it's entirely possible he ends up a back-of-the-rotation type of guy.

Things I like about this trade:

• Trading from a position of depth (pitching)
  • Trading a guy at his peak value in Gallen
  • Trading for players at a thin position (shortstop)
  • Trading for a guy not as his peak value who is still viewed by many as an electric, elite prospect

Overall, I am definitely a fan of this approach and this trade.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This Jazz guy has great power at SS and he’s only 21. This isn’t a bad move. I mean if he ends up a bust then it may end up being bad, but at the moment we’re filling out holes in the organization.