Sign in to follow this  
MarlinsFan19

Do we have a Top 5 Farm System Now? (Answer: Yes, top 4 to be exact!)

22 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

I mean this is all pretty scary tbh. We just went to the craps table. Made a bet. Won the jackpot. And put all our winnings back on the table. 

This could go really bad really quick. Lewis Brinson should be seen as a warning. High risk young physical players sometimes never become good baseball players. 

We now have the fourth-ranked farm system in baseball. There is literally nothing bad about that. Lewis Brinson being terrible is a precursor of absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

I mean this is all pretty scary tbh. We just went to the craps table. Made a bet. Won the jackpot. And put all our winnings back on the table. 

This could go really bad really quick. Lewis Brinson should be seen as a warning. High risk young physical players sometimes never become good baseball players. 

I don’t see it as “putting our winnings back on the table”. Those early moves that were made were all about getting the best deal regardless of position because we had needs at all positions.  This summers draft, IFA signings, and trades have signaled that we are in a position now to utilize assets to fill holes in the system.  So to that end I feel like these trades are the logical next step. It would have been poor foresight if they waited until the rotation and bullpen were fully formed before looking around and realizing that significant deficiencies existed among non pitchers.  They’ve got to time this thing right and if a “window” opens around our pitching talent and there are no system hitters on their way in then that’s when you panic and spend on vets that maybe you shouldn’t be spending on.  

It’s been a weird day. The Gallen trade shook me.  But when you step back and look at where the organization is today compared to opening day I think we have gotten better 

• Like 2

Going from one of the worst systems to 4th in less than two years is super impressive. I know I've backed up Jeter a lot but this may truly be his greatest accomplishment so far. How anyone can not be happy about that accomplishment is beyond me. This is the biggest sign that maybe this is gonna work. At the very least I don't think anyone could have imagined a jump like this within two years especially with all the criticism within the first year so this is excellent. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, THRILLHO said:

I don’t see it as “putting our winnings back on the table”. Those early moves that were made were all about getting the best deal regardless of position because we had needs at all positions.  This summers draft, IFA signings, and trades have signaled that we are in a position now to utilize assets to fill holes in the system.  So to that end I feel like these trades are the logical next step. It would have been poor foresight if they waited until the rotation and bullpen were fully formed before looking around and realizing that significant deficiencies existed among non pitchers.  They’ve got to time this thing right and if a “window” opens around our pitching talent and there are no system hitters on their way in then that’s when you panic and spend on vets that maybe you shouldn’t be spending on.  

It’s been a weird day. The Gallen trade shook me.  But when you step back and look at where the organization is today compared to opening day I think we have gotten better 

I need to stress I get the excitement of these moves. Take what you have a lot of and move that for players that can play positions you need more of.

My point is the type of guys they have gotten, toolsy, young, mixed performance. That is a risky approach to development. I'm not saying it won't work, BUT I am certainly not saying that it will. The organization is taking some risk with the types of players they have identified.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Exciting times boys. Exciting times.

I dunno. He’s obviously no Jose Fernandez but I was excited to watch every time Gallen started right NOW. With that said, I do get the trade I guess I’m just a little bummed too. 

• Like 1

Looking at our new top 30 by MLB http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=mia

It is impressive how the Jeter organization has infused talent into their minors

It has been a complete 180 degrees from the previous regime (We all know that Hill isn't making any of the decisions) BTW Victor Victor has dropped to 14 and I think that is very generous to rate him that high

I was not happy to see Zac go, but 4th system is awesome... now we see what we got and when the team is ready they can still go out and fill needs via free agency if what we stockpiled doesn't pan out (which is hard to believe considering we are now OF, SS and starting pitching "rich" down on the farm)

9 hours ago, 97marlin said:

I need to stress I get the excitement of these moves. Take what you have a lot of and move that for players that can play positions you need more of.

My point is the type of guys they have gotten, toolsy, young, mixed performance. That is a risky approach to development. I'm not saying it won't work, BUT I am certainly not saying that it will. The organization is taking some risk with the types of players they have identified.

Those are fair concerns. Also having a top farm system doesn’t always equate to winning MLB games in the future.  Rebuilds also don’t always work.  Forget the Astros because that is a case where everything worked perfectly.  We are in an age where half the league is rebuilding. For every Atlanta rebuild you have a Cincinnati. Cincinnati is a odd case because they tried to rebuild but they handled their bad contracts differently.  Their trade with LA last year was all about getting LA luxury tax relief; getting Homer Bailey off their books and renting Puig / Wood for one season.   Now they’ve parlayed Puig into Bauer for 1.5 years.   Meanwhile they appear to be all in on keeping Votto as a Red for life whereas the Marlins moved Stanton’s contract in phase 1 to provide flexibility down the road.  Votto is great but this year has been his worst of his career. Unlucky for them.  The Reds FO doesn’t seem like they have a roadmap to get there.  The Marlins feel like they’ve got a plan which they’re executing with conviction which hasn’t been the case around here since probably the Dombrowski days.  That’s what is driving my optimism.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GuitarPik said:

I dunno. He’s obviously no Jose Fernandez but I was excited to watch every time Gallen started right NOW. With that said, I do get the trade I guess I’m just a little bummed too. 

He was my favorite to watch while he was here. Looking forward to the return of Pablo.