Sign in to follow this  
MarlinsFan19

Do we have a Top 5 Farm System Now? (Answer: Yes, top 4 to be exact!)

9 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Hey guys, you're not gonna like to hear this but... jumping up to 4th best farm system in under two years probably makes it a lot less likely that Mike Hill gets canned. 

No matter what you think of him, being President of Baseball Operation during this significant overhaul in such a relatively short amount of time is a strong argument towards keeping him. 

It's been well documented over the last few years that Loria pulled the strings when he owned the team. MANY of the worst trades (Rodney and Cashner for example) were instigated by Loria and Samson's insistence to make moves. I think when Jeter took over it was more of a new unknown than anything. Hill was basically re-hired when Jeter came in. I believe they gave him an interview and everything. 
I always got the impression from the ownership group that Hill had the job for a year, if things went well he got to stay in charge through the entirety of the rebuild.

To me he has shown an ability to follow through with a plan and execute a tough decision when neccesary. I'm with you, he has earned his job.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Come on man... With Mike Hill in charge of baseball operations the Marlins have jumped from close to the worst farm system in baseball to 4th best in under two years... I don't think it's smart to keep saying Mike Hill has done nothing but smile and wave at the media.

I'm not his biggest fan but he's made his case to stick at this point. He definitely hasn't hurt the rebuild has he?

One could say he's exceeded expectations in the last two years.

As a matter of fact, how could he have done any better when you think that he jumped like 20 something teams in the rankings? 

Mike Hill is not making decisions on talent evaluation or trades , He is just rubber stamping these moves. You can tell by this last draft  that it did not have Mike Hill's input in any way. They drafted players completely Non-Hill like

Unless Mike Hill all of sudden has become someone else as a talent evaluator and all of sudden  changed what he looks for in players. Actually if you think about it the Marlins are now more similar in how the Yankees approach the draft, and are much more aggressive and long term focused in what they look for in are trades something that is not Mike Hill like. Maybe we should be giving Hill credit for this transformation, but my better  judgement tells me other-wise. Good for Jeter in finding the best way to use Mike Hill

• Downvote 1

It is completely unfair to give a person 100% of the blame for negative outcomes, and 0% of the credit for positive outcomes. Whatever someone thinks of Mike Hill, that isn't right. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Edwin Velez said:

Mike Hill is not making decisions on talent evaluation or trades , He is just rubber stamping these moves. You can tell by this last draft  that it did not have Mike Hill's input in any way. They drafted players completely Non-Hill like

Unless Mike Hill all of sudden has become someone else as a talent evaluator and all of sudden  changed what he looks for in players. Actually if you think about it the Marlins are now more similar in how the Yankees approach the draft, and are much more aggressive and long term focused in what they look for in are trades something that is not Mike Hill like. Maybe we should be giving Hill credit for this transformation, but my better  judgement tells me other-wise. Good for Jeter in finding the best way to use Mike Hill

Lol ok man. 

3 hours ago, Edwin Velez said:

I've not been a Hill fan in the past, but things have changed.

---

Hill very well could've previously been directed to acquire a particular player type by Loria.  Not to mention, Loria's tight purse strings may have also meant they weren't able to get the talent he truly wanted, so was forced to get other types of players.

Baseball America is delusional placing VVM as the #8 best prospect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el_gmac said:

Baseball America is delusional placing VVM as the #8 best prospect

Maybe.

Hey anyone notice that more than once in the last few days Mike Hill has referred to Brinson as a prospect, dropping his name in the same sentences with Chisholm Diaz Bleday and Harrison?

Found that interesting. It's like the Marlins have put him back in the system and are treating him like someone who's development hasn't finished yet. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Hey anyone notice that more than once in the last few days Mike Hill has referred to Brinson as a prospect, dropping his name in the same sentences with Chisholm Diaz Bleday and Harrison?

Found that interesting. It's like the Marlins have put him back in the system and are treating him like someone who's development hasn't finished yet. 

Clearly hoping that Brinson catches fire in the final month and gets added into the top 100 list so we'll have even more there.