Sign in to follow this  
taiwanmarlin

Maybe we need the minor league game thread

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

They can make room easy. For instance Castro’s option will surely be declined and that’s one spot.  Granderson is a free agent so that’s another. Noesi’s spot will be available I’m sure as well.

Right now the Marlins have 43 guys on the 40 man roster. The 4 guys on the 60 day IL don't count towards the 40. Prado, Walker, Noesi, and Granderson are all free agents. Castro will be bought out. That gets you down to 38. Based on rosterresource.com, the Marlins will have 27 rule 5 eligible players deemed "interesting." Castano is not on this list so it goes up to 28. I would deem 6 players are must adds to the 40 man roster and 4 are maybe adds.

Must adds:

Nick Neidert
Sixto Sanchez
Jazz Chisholm
Lewin Diaz
Humberto Mejia
Daniel Castano

Maybe adds:

Will Stewart
Bryson Brigman
Tommy Eveld
Eddy Alvarez

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I think we should take Castro's option and try to trade him. If he stays hot the rest of the season it might be worthwhile.

I'm ok with this.

5 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think we should take Castro's option and try to trade him. If he stays hot the rest of the season it might be worthwhile.

The Marlins would probably be better off to buy him out and resign him if they are going to try that. His option is worth $16 million.

As a follow up to my 40 man roster talk:

My candidates to be DFA'd:

Adam Conley
Jeff Brigham
Wei-Yin Chen
Wilkin Castillo
Cesar Puello

My candidates to be traded:

Miguel Rojas
Starlin Castro if retained

I understand why the team has refused to DFA Chen, but the prospects that need roster spots are too valuable to lose and we might see the end of Chen. Hopefully they add 5 spots to make room for the must adds and Will Stewart to be safe.

2 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

The Marlins would probably be better off to buy him out and resign him if they are going to try that. His option is worth $16 million.

I probably should have looked at that. Oof. But no way he re-signs here for less if that's the choice, I'd imagine.

2 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Time to trim the fat from the roster everyone.

Are you Gary Denbo?

• Laugh 1

I hadn't even thought about DFAing Chen because it feels like they're so against paying him not to play but at what point is eating the money better than paying him to suck on the field?

I mean I know the answer from us here but when does the team finally decide they've had enough?

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I hadn't even thought about DFAing Chen because it feels like they're so against paying him not to play but at what point is eating the money better than paying him to suck on the field?

I mean I know the answer from us here but when does the team finally decide they've had enough?

It’s getting close.  I understand this season keeping him.  There were innings that needed an arm.  The team wasn’t going to be good.  All bets are off now 

13 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

It’s getting close.  I understand this season keeping him.  There were innings that needed an arm.  The team wasn’t going to be good.  All bets are off now 

And in theory the team is supposed to be getting better from now on so at what point does keeping him feel like they're not trying to win? You can't preach building a winning atmosphere while keeping Chen.