Jump to content

Marte Extension? (The Continuation)


Michael
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

He must be confident he can get more in free agency which I completely understand but then that takes me to my point from like a month ago... why say u wanna stay in Miami and then still want a big time contract because you won't get both, it's one or the other. If u want the big contract then say u want free agency but if u really actually wanna be a Marlin you're gonna have to accept a lesser offer. 

I'm thinking he (or more likely, his agent) said it to coax out an offer from the Marlins - otherwise I don't think the Marlins were even thinking about doing it. It works to his benefit. He gets an extra offer and kind of sees where they're at (to make it a starting point as far as potential deals), then basically lets media and the fans view it as "cheap Marlins again" and that it just didn't work out (after all, he said he wanted to stay here - totally genuine and definitely not a strategy), then tests the FA market and gets any other team with bigger pockets to offer that 1 more year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm interested to see if the Marlins leave the offer out there for him in the offseason, or if they just say "no, you didn't accept, bye", which I think is dumb. 

It's entirely possible other teams' offers wind up in that range and at that point if he did truly want to stay in Miami, maybe he'd be willing to accept our offer then?  (i.e. Team X offers the same 3/30, if he wants to stay with the Marlins, that could sway him back to Miami)

Obviously they can't leave it out there all offseason if they (hopefully) want to make other signings, but I think they can have it out there in case his market doesn't materialize like he hopes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'm interested to see if the Marlins leave the offer out there for him in the offseason, or if they just say "no, you didn't accept, bye", which I think is dumb. 

It's entirely possible other teams' offers wind up in that range and at that point if he did truly want to stay in Miami, maybe he'd be willing to accept our offer then?  (i.e. Team X offers the same 3/30, if he wants to stay with the Marlins, that could sway him back to Miami)

Obviously they can't leave it out there all offseason if they (hopefully) want to make other signings, but I think they can have it out there in case his market doesn't materialize like he hopes.

That would be the smart move. Not so sure this FO does this, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to Craig Mish, we’re willing to extend Jesus Aguilar.

That’s kind of weird considering they haven’t been willing to dish out extra money for Marte, who plays a position of actual need.

Aguilar must be willing to accept a super team-friendly deal? That strategy wouldn’t make much sense otherwise, and I have nothing against Jesus Aguilar who has been mostly consistent here. 

But it doesn’t make sense.

Edited by Erick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Erick said:

According to Craig Mish, we’re willing to extend Jesus Aguilar.

That’s kind of weird considering they haven’t been willing to dish out extra money for Marte, who plays a position of actual need.

Aguilar must be willing to accept a super team-friendly deal? That strategy wouldn’t make much sense otherwise, and I have nothing against Jesus Aguilar who has been mostly consistent here. 

But it doesn’t make sense.

Cooper could be in play and/or they're banking on the DH next season too. Also, sounds like he's willing to sign cheap. Sooooo big plus there I guess

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Erick said:

According to Craig Mish, we’re willing to extend Jesus Aguilar.

That’s kind of weird considering they haven’t been willing to dish out extra money for Marte, who plays a position of actual need.

Aguilar must be willing to accept a super team-friendly deal? That strategy wouldn’t make much sense otherwise, and I have nothing against Jesus Aguilar who has been mostly consistent here. 

But it doesn’t make sense.

Yea but the fact that they've tried to extend Jesus, Marte, and Sandy all around the same time is refreshing to hear.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 9:06 AM, jsprt14 said:

Makes you wonder if relocation of the Marlins is becoming more of a possibility.

that will not happen....the stadium lease prevents it. The financial ramifications are to onerous. They have to compensate City of Miami & Miami-Dade County (50% EACH) for the equal value of the Marlins, IIRC. They still have 19 years left on the lease. 

That is unless MLB puts in the money to do it....it would make some sense, because it would give the Rays a place to move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Fotog said:

that will not happen....the stadium lease prevents it. The financial ramifications are to onerous. They have to compensate City of Miami & Miami-Dade County (50% EACH) for the equal value of the Marlins, IIRC. They still have 19 years left on the lease. 

That is unless MLB puts in the money to do it....it would make some sense, because it would give the Rays a place to move.

 

Huh?

 

Why would that make any sense?  Pay Marlins to move so Rays can move to Miami?  instead of just moving the Rays?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

 

Huh?

 

Why would that make any sense?  Pay Marlins to move so Rays can move to Miami?  instead of just moving the Rays?

That didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either - I just assumed I missed the context of the statement entirely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

 

Huh?

 

Why would that make any sense?  Pay Marlins to move so Rays can move to Miami?  instead of just moving the Rays?

that's probably why it hasn't been done yet....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

That didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either - I just assumed I missed the context of the statement entirely.

supposedly it was the poison pill to have to pay if MLB decided to move the Marlins out of loandepot.park before the end of the lease...because that would leave the county/city an empty building they are still paying bonds on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Fotog said:

that will not happen....the stadium lease prevents it. The financial ramifications are to onerous. They have to compensate City of Miami & Miami-Dade County (50% EACH) for the equal value of the Marlins, IIRC. They still have 19 years left on the lease. 

That is unless MLB puts in the money to do it....it would make some sense, because it would give the Rays a place to move.

If MLB wanted to move the Marlins to whereever and the Rays to Miami, I'm sure there would be some agreeable path honestly that wouldnt actually cost any real money to the Rays or MLB from Miami.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

If MLB wanted to move the Marlins to whereever and the Rays to Miami, I'm sure there would be some agreeable path honestly that wouldnt actually cost any real money to the Rays or MLB from Miami.  

I'd agree with this thought, as the city would still have a major league team.  But I don't understand why they'd do that and not just move the Rays themselves and leave the Marlins where they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fotog said:

supposedly it was the poison pill to have to pay if MLB decided to move the Marlins out of loandepot.park before the end of the lease...because that would leave the county/city an empty building they are still paying bonds on

Oh, no, I understood that part. I didn't understand moving to Marlins out to move the Rays in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'd agree with this thought, as the city would still have a major league team.  But I don't understand why they'd do that and not just move the Rays themselves and leave the Marlins where they are.

That's the other point.

I was just stating that the local government wouldnt stop any move as long as a MLB team was playing in Miami.

 

But yes, its an idiotic idea that will never materialize. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...