Marte Extension? (The Continuation)

Michael

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Not sure why Mish thinks the 4th year would have been so disastrous.  He did say it was acceptable for a team with understanding.  There is a case that we should be one of those teams though with no immediate help at CF and a clean payroll balance along with an open budget.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FishFry said:

Not sure why Mish thinks the 4th year would have been so disastrous.  He did say it was acceptable for a team with understanding.  There is a case that we should be one of those teams though with no immediate help at CF and a clean payroll balance along with an open budget.  

I think it would've been performance wise because of his age, but you can help mitigate that by frontloading the contract to where you're not paying him much in that 4th year so not "losing" much.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I think it would've been performance wise because of his age, but you can help mitigate that by frontloading the contract to where you're not paying him much in that 4th year so not "losing" much.

I didn’t mind trading Marte as long as it improved a direct and immediate need for next year.  

The disaster relation in Mish’s tweet was a bit over the top is all.  It just had that FO ring a ding that bothers my ears. 

4/45 is actually a surprising number as it’s lower than rumored.  If it is true, I’m conflicted of what the Marlins final offer actually was.   A 4th year shouldn’t have been a deal breaker. 

What’s done is done.  I’m glad for Marte and hope the A’s extend him.  

12 hours ago, FishFry said:

I didn’t mind trading Marte as long as it improved a direct and immediate need for next year.  

The disaster relation in Mish’s tweet was a bit over the top is all.  It just had that FO ring a ding that bothers my ears. 

4/45 is actually a surprising number as it’s lower than rumored.  If it is true, I’m conflicted of what the Marlins final offer actually was.   A 4th year shouldn’t have been a deal breaker. 

What’s done is done.  I’m glad for Marte and hope the A’s extend him.  

Oh, I'm glad they traded him if they weren't extending him.

I'm just hopeful they're willing to revisit signing him in the offseason.  I agree a 4th year shouldn't be a dealbreaker if you structure it correctly accounting for decreased performance in that last year.

I'd be shocked if the A's extend him - not saying that's a reason for the Marlins trading him there, but that's a great place to have sent him with their own money limitations.

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the team to do this in general since the payroll is so low currently

Agreed - whatever contracts they sign should be more frontloaded because of what you say - it'll allow them to keep costs even later when pitchers get more expensive.

As for Adam Duvall, the Marlins traded him to Atlanta for catcher Alex Jackson because they knew he likely would opt out of his $7 million mutual option this offseason. But we’re told the Marlins never asked his agent what it would take to keep him in 2022 and potentially beyond.

• Shocked 1

26 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

That request from Marte was not extreme.

But I also don't think the Marlins offer was unreasonable. I guess he doesn't believe he can get more than $8.5M in year #4 if he takes that deal. The Marlins offered him $12M+ per year for those 3 years. Over the 4 years, he wanted just over $11M per year.

• Like 1

It's looking very sad. No matter the owner it looks like they just refuse to pay for players. Well they better start hitting on some bats in the draft that can come up quickly or they'll miss their window with these pitchers.

1 hour ago, pollythewog said:

As for Adam Duvall, the Marlins traded him to Atlanta for catcher Alex Jackson because they knew he likely would opt out of his $7 million mutual option this offseason. But we’re told the Marlins never asked his agent what it would take to keep him in 2022 and potentially beyond.

Seems strange that they wouldn't have even talked to his agent to see what he was thinking before just making the move.

46 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

But I also don't think the Marlins offer was unreasonable. I guess he doesn't believe he can get more than $8.5M in year #4 if he takes that deal. The Marlins offered him $12M+ per year for those 3 years. Over the 4 years, he wanted just over $11M per year.

They should've countered with a guaranteed 4 year 42 + 3M in incentives.

Structure it the same as their final 3-36.5 offer for years 1 through 3 (12.167/year), and make year 4 $5.5M plus incentives.

1 - 12.167M

2 - 12.167M

3 - 12.167M

4 - 5.5 guaranteed + 3 in incentives.

$42 guaranteed, $45 possible if incentives are reached.

He gets his 4th year and potential to reach his desired $45 total, but the Marlins have some potential protection if he doesn't perform in year 4.

And you're ultimately talking about a guaranteed 2 M (and potential 5M total) over what they've already max offered (40M).  Yeah, you're giving him a 4th year guaranteed, but that's where the incentives come in.

A lower 4th year total also makes him easier to trade or hurts less if they have to release him in that last year if they want.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 3

I am surprised the gap is so small, though - literally 1 guaranteed year and $5M is all that separates the sides.  You'd think he asked for 4/60 or something, which would've been 20 over the max the Marlins had offered - that'd be one thing.  But 5M?

Let's hope they revisit in the offseason.