Jump to content

Marte Extension? (The Continuation)


Michael
 Share

Recommended Posts


Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

“Marte, per sources, is seeking a three- or four-year deal in the $50 million range but has expressed his desire to stay in Miami beyond 2021.”

 

Ha, I said 3/45-50 gets it done a while ago.

Edited by rmc523
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Cheap Sherman, what a shame. 

Not to defend him but he's so hands off it wouldn't surprise me if he said to Jeter and Ng that they are free to offer Sherman whatever they think is the right amount and then Jeter and Ng went and asked for the lower amount thinking that it wasn't the right time to spend more.

Just something to keep in mind because the low offer doesn't mean Sherman isn't willing to pay more. He signs the checks but Jeter and Ng are the ones who tell/ask what the check amounts should be. The more I think about it the more that sounds like the way Sherman does it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Not to defend him but he's so hands off it wouldn't surprise me if he said to Jeter and Ng that they are free to offer Sherman whatever they think is the right amount and then Jeter and Ng went and asked for the lower amount thinking that it wasn't the right time to spend more.

Just something to keep in mind because the low offer doesn't mean Sherman isn't willing to pay more. He signs the checks but Jeter and Ng are the ones who tell/ask what the check amounts should be. The more I think about it the more that sounds like the way Sherman does it.

I believe the owners would be involved in the KEY contract negotiations if not in all of them, so I don't think Sherman would never aware of the numbers in the negotiations ( crazy Loria even extended Greg Dobbs secretly by himself).

Edited by taiwanmarlin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I believe the owners would be involved in the KEY contract negotiations if not in all of them, so I don't think Sherman would never aware of the numbers in the negotiations ( crazy Loria even extended Greg Dobbs secretly by himself).

Owners should generally be hands off and let the people they hire do their thing. Loria was an outlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I believe the owners would be involved in the KEY contract negotiations if not in all of them, so I don't think Sherman would never aware of the numbers in the negotiations ( crazy Loria even extended Greg Dobbs secretly by himself).

Sherman isn't doing Loria stuff, Sherman asks Jeter "how much should we offer Marte" and Jeter gives him an amount. I'm just saying any lowball offer from this FO is more likely Jeter's fault than it is Sherman being cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Sherman isn't doing Loria stuff, Sherman asks Jeter "how much should we offer Marte" and Jeter gives him an amount. I'm just saying any lowball offer from this FO is more likely Jeter's fault than it is Sherman being cheap.

What's ironic is that Jeter the player would have told Jeter the front office guy to go fuck himself and find himself a new team with an offer that insulting.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Not to defend him but he's so hands off it wouldn't surprise me if he said to Jeter and Ng that they are free to offer Sherman whatever they think is the right amount and then Jeter and Ng went and asked for the lower amount thinking that it wasn't the right time to spend more.

Just something to keep in mind because the low offer doesn't mean Sherman isn't willing to pay more. He signs the checks but Jeter and Ng are the ones who tell/ask what the check amounts should be. The more I think about it the more that sounds like the way Sherman does it.

I'm sure Sherman didnt say 'offer whatever they think is right', because some might think the right amount is 18-20 AAV.  

Generally speaking owners set budgets and then let their baseball people figure that out within the budget.

Though for big deals the owners usually sign off on them or any deal that would significantly affect the budget.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

too bad marlins are at 3/30 which is 15-20 million less than what Marte wants.

Good luck.

Ok.  It's also a starting point.  A few weeks ago, Ng was still evaluating and we hadn't even approached him at all about an extension.

 

If they don't budge beyond that 3/30, then yes it's a problem.  But as a starting point, it's ok - maybe not great, but ok.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2021 at 10:39 PM, rmc523 said:

 

Ha, I said 3/45-50 gets it done a while ago.

It’s on the 4th page of the “Ng Answering Questions” thread.  I believe I was the first to say 3/50 and you gave me the only like so yeah, you and I were the first at that price.  Michael also agreed (I think) but added a 4th and/or 5th year pay based on incentives.

Page 4 tells it all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FishFry said:

It’s on the 4th page of the “Ng Answering Questions” thread.  I believe I was the first to say 3/50 and you gave me the only like so yeah, you and I were the first at that price.  Michael also agreed (I think) but added a 4th and/or 5th year pay based on incentives.

Page 4 tells it all. 

Yep, I agreed.

3/50 with escalators, incentives, and an option to get it up to 4/80 (without the option being triggered but all escalators/incentives hit would take it to about 3/63).

And then perhaps more incentives and a vesting option for a 5th year to take it to 5/100. I love me some incentives and vesting options in contracts. Means the player earned it!

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Ok.  It's also a starting point.  A few weeks ago, Ng was still evaluating and we hadn't even approached him at all about an extension.

 

If they don't budge beyond that 3/30, then yes it's a problem.  But as a starting point, it's ok - maybe not great, but ok.

Its not even that ok of an offer honestly. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yep, I agreed.

3/50 with escalators, incentives, and an option to get it up to 4/80 (without the option being triggered but all escalators/incentives hit would take it to about 3/63).

And then perhaps more incentives and a vesting option for a 5th year to take it to 5/100. I love me some incentives and vesting options in contracts. Means the player earned it!

I dont see why a player like Marte wouldnt accept a deal with a vesting option or two and/or incentive based escalators.

the real issue is the base so many have mentioned is already 20 mil MORE than the low ball insulting offer the front office supposedly presented.

I mean there is cheap and trying to get a good deal. Offer 3/40 if you want that.

3/30 is just flat insulting to a player like Marte.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Das Texan said:

I dont see why a player like Marte wouldnt accept a deal with a vesting option or two and/or incentive based escalators.

the real issue is the base so many have mentioned is already 20 mil MORE than the low ball insulting offer the front office supposedly presented.

I mean there is cheap and trying to get a good deal. Offer 3/40 if you want that.

3/30 is just flat insulting to a player like Marte.  

The difference between 3/30 and 4/50 isn't as much as you're making it out to be. 12.5m per year. They're at 10. That gap can definitely close quickly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Michael said:

The difference between 3/30 and 4/50 isn't as much as you're making it out to be. 12.5m per year. They're at 10. That gap can definitely close quickly.

Especially if they get creative and have an option or incentives to reach his desired number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...