Marte Extension? (The Continuation)

Michael

I can’t blame them for not wanting to go 4 years. Frankly, I also would be hesitant on 3 years given his age. The best offer I would give is: 

3 years 42million*

YR 1: 18 million GTD

YR 2: 14 million GTD 

YR 3: Team Option: 10 million 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

I can’t blame them for not wanting to go 4 years. Frankly, I also would be hesitant on 3 years given his age. The best offer I would give is: 

3 years 42million*

Yeah but from the sound of it, they didn't offer anywhere close to that much guaranteed money.

It's so effing sad that we can't lock up a top 5 CF  for what looks to be a pretty reasonable asking price. Marte is an athletic freak and will be highly productive for another 5+ years. 

You know what would be awesome? If we re-signed him, didn't trade Aguilar and threw a boatload of cash at Kris Bryant. Pipe dream because that's what teams serious about contending would do. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Iowa said:

It's so effing sad that we can't lock up a top 5 CF  for what looks to be a pretty reasonable asking price. Marte is an athletic freak and will be highly productive for another 5+ years. 

You know what would be awesome? If we re-signed him, didn't trade Aguilar and threw a boatload of cash at Kris Bryant. Pipe dream because that's what teams serious about contending would do. 

They literally made an offer just to say they tried but oh well

Does any really believe they will even sign Watson?  When Ng said, we expect him to sign but it’s going to take time, that was a red flag and reminded me of the same cheap talk with Marte.  Either be committed or stop pretending 

9 hours ago, FishFry said:

Does any really believe they will even sign Watson?  When Ng said, we expect him to sign but it’s going to take time, that was a red flag and reminded me of the same cheap talk with Marte.  Either be committed or stop pretending 

i'm pretty sure they'll sign Watson.  There's always a chance they don't but it's pretty rare for first rounders especially. But with this group, they feel cheaper and cheaper with each passing week especially with how they've approached Marte. so far it really does feel like this group is even cheaper than Loria and man that is insanely difficult to believe.   If we believe the DH is coming, shouldn't have any issues with giving Marte 4 years and front loading it -THEY CAN AFFORD IT!  he should still be a decent bat 4 years from now at a reduced cost and they could let him DH at that point if he's completely unable to even play a corner slot or trade him to another team (again, a perk of front loading salary).

Realistically, this team should have signed JT this past offseason, already retained Marte (based on what the rumored asking price from his camp was) and be looking hard at signing a Kris Bryant type guy this offseason.  That would be a VERY good team and have cost this team NOTHING in terms of their seemingly endless wealth of starting pitching prospects.  They have the additional sources of revenue they've been whining about, they have the starting pitching, they even have a closer (Bender, not Yimi).  It's just gross how fucking cheap they are and knowing this team could have a top 5 farm system AND be a serious contender at the SAME TIME.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, FishFry said:

They have shown a willingness to stretch the budget on draft picks before, so if they don't sign him it will be because of the penalty for going too far over the draft slot total, not because they don't want to pay his asking price.

Looks like the Marlins are willing to offer him more than the 3 for $30 M previously reported. However, I hope the sticking point in negotiations is Marte's age and not the dollar amount, because this is a bit depressing. I don't see the Marlins in their current state regularly contenting without spending more money or going through another rebuild.

They have through the offseason for me.  It's slimming already, but if reasonable moves/a real attempt at improvement aren't/isn't made, I think I may have a hard time fully supporting the team anymore.  Not because I don't want to, but it's hard for them to ask me to put effort in when they won't.  And that's coming from one of the true 16 fans.

I've been supportive through the rebuild, but things are looking like more of the same cheapness plus some increased draft spending.  Aka - the Rays minus the success.  I know the argument of drafting success translates to the ML product over time, but again, it's hard to putt much effort into supporting them if they continue the ultra cheap ways.

• Like 5

Hot take:

Starling Marte is really, really good but he's not an irreplaceable super star.

That being said, he is worth more than what he's asking and the Marlins have absolutely no one who can replace him. 

So is Starling Marte a superstar in baseball, in general?  No.

Should the Marlins have approached extension talks as if he were a superstar because of the position they find themselves in due to various reasons?  Yes.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

They have through the offseason for me.  It's slimming already, but if reasonable moves/a real attempt at improvement aren't/isn't made, I think I may have a hard time fully supporting the team anymore.  Not because I don't want to, but it's hard for them to ask me to put effort in when they won't.  And that's coming from one of the true 16 fans.

I've been supportive through the rebuild, but things are looking like more of the same cheapness plus some increased draft spending.  Aka - the Rays minus the success.  I know the argument of drafting success translates to the ML product over time, but again, it's hard to putt much effort into supporting them if they continue the ultra cheap ways.

This right here. They're making even their most passionate supporters start to question their ways. This season has really tested my patience with them and I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get out of this shit show.

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This right here. They're making even their most passionate supporters start to question their ways. This season has really tested my patience with them and I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get out of this shit show.

I never felt such apathy from a FO and I’ve been a Marlin fan since their expansion.  It’s not all about spending money either, it’s more about their attitude, how they know more than anyone and don’t have to answer to anyone kind of mentality.

6 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

They have shown a willingness to stretch the budget on draft picks before, so if they don't sign him it will be because of the penalty for going too far over the draft slot total, not because they don't want to pay his asking price.

So if Watson asks for top draft slot money, let’s say in the 1-5 selection, that would go against the MLB policy?  

6 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Hot take:

That being said, he is worth more than what he's asking and the Marlins have absolutely no one who can replace him. 

Should the Marlins have approached extension talks as if he were a superstar because of the position they find themselves in due to various reasons?  Yes.

This really summed it up well. I'll just steal this the next time someone says "Why?" when I say "They should have actually tried to extend Marte"

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yep same.

When they made no real effort to sign Realmuto this off-season, I knew what to expect. They didn't have to go crazy, but they absolutely should have at least TRIED and they didn't. Now this with Marte where they pretty much threw out an offer they knew he wouldn't take and then stopped trying.

Why should I expect them to pay when it is time for other players to get contracts? They've shown me no reason to believe they will ever pay.

How many times can we trade a guy for prospects before losing him to free agency? Endless cycle of prospects and endless cycle of no winning baseball if that's their plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Endless cycle of prospects and endless cycle of no winning baseball if that's their plan.

I now call it the "fingers crossed plan". Build the team to a certain point and then fingers crossed that they can win because they won't add to it any further than that certain point.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:02 PM, marlins_09 said:

3 years 42million*

if the DH coming, and all indications are it is, signing him for that future consideration might be worth it

10 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Hot take:

I don't see Marte as a superstar either but his asking price wasn't superstar level either. If rumors were true his asking price to stay in Miami seemed VERY reasonable to the point I dare say even Loria would've kept him signed and been thrilled to announce that.

• Like 1