America: Greatest Nation

Johnny Reb

2 hours ago, pollythewog said:

The racism, imperialism and war momgering, and structural inequality are 4 reasons off top of my head

Here is a question about Racism.  

If you entered into a work place and you noticed that out of 10 employees only 2 of them were black, would you consider that Racism?

1 hour ago, FishFry said:

If you entered into a work place and you noticed that out of 10 employees only 2 of them were black, would you consider that Racism?

It would be more about what positions those 2 have in the company m8.

I work for a company with 33 white folk 🤣

2 hours ago, FishFry said:

On that info alone, no. I'd assume, and hope, those 10 employees were all hired because they were the best people for their respective jobs regardless of their race. I know that's not always the case but I wouldn't immediately assume racism without further proof. 

The problem with the situation you described is that too many people call that racism without further evidence to back it up.

Like apparently it was racist that Dave Roberts was the first black manager to win the world series.

And last summer Theo Epstein made some statement saying the Cubs need to hire more black people in the front office because there were too many white people there... I get the point he's attempting to make but that tells me the Cubs are gonna hire black people to say they did it as opposed to hiring people who are gonna do the job right regardless of color. If the Cubs are down to two candidates for a position and one person is white and the other is black I guess they'll hire based on skin color and not based on qualifications?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2021 at 11:54 AM, Johnny Reb said:

What is it that makes America the greatest nation in the world?

Many would argue that the answer to that is subjective. Not everyone is going to agree. What does set the U.S. apart from every other nation is our rights and opportunities. Rights enshrined in our Constitution, and granted by God (not the government). The right to self-protect and defend against a possible tyrannical government with weapons. The right to free speech for the people and for the press (ability to critique presidents, politicians, law enforcement, etc..). Freedom of religion, and from persecution. The right to start different political parties. The opportunities for upwards mobility is unlike any other country. Land and home ownership. The choices, and abundance, of products and services available. The fact the U.S. helps countries all over the world. 

However, no country is perfect. These are just the positives. I know there's tons of negatives, but for millions everywhere it is worthy of being the "greatest".

Edited by QbanCastillo
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

On that info alone, no. I'd assume, and hope, those 10 employees were all hired because they were the best people for their respective jobs regardless of their race. I know that's not always the case but I wouldn't immediately assume racism without further proof. 

The problem with the situation you described is that too many people call that racism without further evidence to back it up.

Like apparently it was racist that Dave Roberts was the first black manager to win the world series.

And last summer Theo Epstein made some statement saying the Cubs need to hire more black people in the front office because there were too many white people there... I get the point he's attempting to make but that tells me the Cubs are gonna hire black people to say they did it as opposed to hiring people who are gonna do the job right regardless of color. If the Cubs are down to two candidates for a position and one person is white and the other is black I guess they'll hire based on skin color and not based on qualifications?

My counter point from my post and yours is that blacks (pardon me if that sounds racist) make up 13% of the US population making it impossible for all things to be counted as equal.  This also applies to positions of higher promotion as well.   It’s process of elimination just by the numbers and qualifications not by discrimination.  Yet, American sports are vastly populated by the minority making themselves rich from the larger (white) population.  Everything should be in context instead of agenda. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, FishFry said:

The real answer is thinking a workplace is too white is JUST AS BAD as thinking it’s too black. Or too Hispanic. Or too Asian. A whole lot of people are out here asking for equality but what they want is preferential treatment and a Star next to their name. How about if the workforce is getting the job done it’s a perfect workforce as is.

BTW I’m a first generation Cuban American so don’t go calling me a white supremacist lol. 

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, FishFry said:

Red Herring question.

10 hours ago, FishFry said:

Isn’t Red Herring another form of what race baiting does more or less? 

If all you are focused on is race then yes i guess it can.

Its meant to be a distraction from the real discussion though.   The question you posed with no context is meant to be a distraction and go down some weird tangent at hand which is all fine and dandy.  

But context is always needed.  Say for instance:

2 blacks out of 10 workers when the other 8 are white means something far more than a workplace with.  Doesnt even take into account the gender issues.

2 Blacks, 2 Hispanics, 2 Asians, 2 Whites and 2 mixed race folks.

Of which there is a 50/50 split among gender.

So to say 2 out of 10 workers are black is meaningless in respect to insightful conversation.  

It won't be the greatest nation until we gather up all the liberals, throw them in California and push that state into the Pacific.

And before we do that, take all antifa members and "Nazi" punchers for helicopter rides. 🌠

48 minutes ago, Entendu said:

It won't be the greatest nation until we gather up all the liberals, throw them in California and push that state into the Pacific.

And before we do that, take all antifa members and "Nazi" punchers for helicopter rides. 🌠

And then that part that used to be California would be the greatest nation, right?

• Haha 1
  • Banana 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, Entendu said:

And gather up all the extreme right wingers and put them all into Alaska?

If both of these happen, the other lower 47 will be a fairly comfortable place to live.

I can get behind that tbh. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Das Texan said:

And gather up all the extreme right wingers and put them all into Alaska?

If both of these happen, the other lower 47 will be a fairly comfortable place to live.

I can get behind that tbh. 

But you'd be in California?

On 7/7/2021 at 10:08 AM, Das Texan said:

If all you are focused on is race then yes i guess it can.

Its meant to be a distraction from the real discussion though.   The question you posed with no context is meant to be a distraction and go down some weird tangent at hand which is all fine and dandy.  

But context is always needed.  Say for instance:

2 blacks out of 10 workers when the other 8 are white means something far more than a workplace with.  Doesnt even take into account the gender issues.

2 Blacks, 2 Hispanics, 2 Asians, 2 Whites and 2 mixed race folks.

Of which there is a 50/50 split among gender.

So to say 2 out of 10 workers are black is meaningless in respect to insightful conversation.  

I think it’s safe to say that in most cases within diverse communities race and gender are typically well rounded in the working field.  

If America is fundamentally racist than my question would suffice don’t you think?  

9 hours ago, FishFry said:

I think it’s safe to say that in most cases within diverse communities race and gender are typically well rounded in the working field.  

If America is fundamentally racist than my question would suffice don’t you think?  

in 2021 race seems to always be at the top of the list of things we question because its such a hot button issue, largely as a result of the last Administration basically making racism ok again.  

Racism never went away in America.  It was stuffed into the closet and thats been pulled from the closet and its basically ok to wear your white sheets again.

in 2010 for example, the whole race question would have never really been a top question you'd ask.  Now you would, because racism is such a big issue now.  We have made it a big issue based on actions, and it exists on all sides.  To say it doesnt, does it a disservice.  

We are making racism an issue because we basically WANT it as an issue for whatever reason.  Its like all strides made from the LBJ days really up until a half black man had the audacity to become POTUS have been wiped away.  

Blacks being equal to whites scare many white people.

But if blacks are equal to whites that takes away a card that blacks can play , and the problems among black communities are then not because of race but because of other 'controllable' issues, like education, family, et al.

So yes, in 2021 asking about race when you first walk into a workplace is a red herring question essentially.  Because its not about the workplace or even the qualifications, but its meant to push some agenda of some sort.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

in 2021 race seems to always be at the top of the list of things we question because its such a hot button issue, largely as a result of the last Administration basically making racism ok again.  

Racism never went away in America.  It was stuffed into the closet and thats been pulled from the closet and its basically ok to wear your white sheets again.

in 2010 for example, the whole race question would have never really been a top question you'd ask.  Now you would, because racism is such a big issue now.  We have made it a big issue based on actions, and it exists on all sides.  To say it doesnt, does it a disservice.  

We are making racism an issue because we basically WANT it as an issue for whatever reason.  Its like all strides made from the LBJ days really up until a half black man had the audacity to become POTUS have been wiped away.  

But if blacks are equal to whites that takes away a card that blacks can play , and the problems among black communities are then not because of race but because of other 'controllable' issues, like education, family, et al.

So yes, in 2021 asking about race when you first walk into a workplace is a red herring question essentially.  Because its not about the workplace or even the qualifications, but its meant to push some agenda of some sort.

No, racism became an issue when Trump ran for office and wanted to force the immigration laws that were already in place.  Clinton campaigned on that and called it racist and not American.

Can you explain how the last administration made racism ok again?  

The only thing that should scare any race is having another race get equal or better treatment without being equally responsible in society.  Don’t let the victim mentality distort the facts.  Education and family structure is a pedigree of cultural frame of mind and not some man in a white hood.  Black on black crimes is not the white mans fault.  

Give me an example of  how whites are scared of any minority?  I know higher crime rates won’t be mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 6:11 PM, FishFry said:

My counter point from my post and yours is that blacks (pardon me if that sounds racist) make up 13% of the US population making it impossible for all things to be counted as equal.  This also applies to positions of higher promotion as well.   It’s process of elimination just by the numbers and qualifications not by discrimination.  Yet, American sports are vastly populated by the minority making themselves rich from the larger (white) population.  Everything should be in context instead of agenda. 

"Black" isn't racist until you say "pardon me if that sounds racist" like you are whispering your point over Cracker Barrel country fried steaks.

Just say black citizens or black population. 

14 minutes ago, Major-Minor said:

"Black" isn't racist until you say "pardon me if that sounds racist" 

That’s only true if we lived in a world with no offenses, labels or stigmas.  Blame that first before you blame a person who is under the law of this worldly consciousness.  

It’s your comment above that puts labels and offenses in effect. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.