Mattingly's option picked up for 2022

16 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Because, as Don has proven, a manager can be a blessing one year and a curse the next, hard to really commit to them for that long.

He was never a blessing, his mistakes were hidden by the DH. He still made the same kind of errors that directly cost the Marlins games, like letting Sandy face an order the fourth time through in a playoff game. 

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

He was never a blessing, his mistakes were hidden by the DH. He still made the same kind of errors that directly cost the Marlins games, like letting Sandy face an order the fourth time through in a playoff game. 

Yea that's fine but I'm not sure the Marlins make the playoffs last year without Don. 

I may be wrong and someone can go back to the interview but I swear I heard Ng say it was a mutual option and Donnie picked it up. So the Marlins would have to pay if fired right? 

We were to busy screwing around when it happened that I didn’t mention it but I’d ThAts the case then may be too cheap to want to let him go

This is interesting:

Marlins had to decide on Donnie's option by July 15th... so if it wasn't picked up then Donnie would have been an obvious lame duck manager. Wouldn't shock me if they weren't comfortable making a change right now and so they just picked up his option almost as a formality so that things didn't really look bad after the 15th. 

My point is, arm side run, that Donnie may only be safe temporarily. If he keeps screwing up he may still be canned down the line. I wouldn't be so confident that he'll be here in 2022. Seems like they just rewarded him with the rest of this season and they'll really reevaluate in the offseason.

“A guy who I can call part of my family,” Rojas said.

Why is that?

“Our relationship is more than just baseball,” Rojas said. “For me it’s so important to have a guy like him that really cares about his players, really care about the development of the other players. You want someone who cares about you, someone who’s going to have your back in the bad moments and good moments, but like he always says, he’s not going to have your back if you’re not working your butt off. For me, that’s the main key with Donnie. You have to really work hard to earn his respect back and the way that he treats people. I’m just happy for for the relationship that we’ve had all these years.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article252650218.html#storylink=cpy

21 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

could this really just be because they have the option and know the price and don't want to move on?

Or aren't ready to move on is my theory.

Not sure we want Donnie in 22 but aren't ready to quit on him in 21 and definitely not ready to make a midseason managerial change? Pick up the option to stabilize 21 and we'll think about 22 in the offseason.

That's how I see it.

• Like 1

A. Ng won't thinking the same with the fans because she's a GM.

B. Competing in the 2022 is not in the plan.

C. Ng needs to see one more year of Mattingly to know he's good or not. 

D. Ng said Mattingly is a good manager for YOUNG players so ready to see an all Young team in the 2022.

Edited by taiwanmarlin

18 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Or aren't ready to move on is my theory.

Not sure we want Donnie in 22 but aren't ready to quit on him in 21 and definitely not ready to make a midseason managerial change? Pick up the option to stabilize 21 and we'll think about 22 in the offseason.

That's how I see it.

Yeah, I suppose that could be true.  Not sure if they seem like the group to pull back on their exercising the option though (we exercised it, we'll honor it.....especially with how many repeat chances they give players that clearly aren't working out).

I think a better question to ask right now is who decided to make the contract deadline July 15th/in the middle of the season?

That's just a recipe for an/this awkward situation.

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, I suppose that could be true.  Not sure if they seem like the group to pull back on their exercising the option though (we exercised it, we'll honor it.....especially with how many repeat chances they give players that clearly aren't working out).

I think a better question to ask right now is who decided to make the contract deadline July 15th/in the middle of the season?

That's just a recipe for an/this awkward situation.

Donnie said that deadline was his idea to not have his status drag on.

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Donnie said that deadline was his idea to not have his status drag on.

Right, but that puts the team in a bad spot and they agreed to it.    The alternative to picking it up is "hey Don, we don't really want you back next year.....but could you go ahead and manage a few more months?  k thanks"

21 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Right, but that puts the team in a bad spot and they agreed to it.    The alternative to picking it up is "hey Don, we don't really want you back next year.....but could you go ahead and manage a few more months?  k thanks"

Yea and that's exactly why I'm thinking the FO picked up the option to avoid the awkwardness and they aren't really sure about him in 2022 yet. If he continues this shit show the rest of the season his 2022 status may mean nothing. 

58 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea and that's exactly why I'm thinking the FO picked up the option to avoid the awkwardness and they aren't really sure about him in 2022 yet. If he continues this shit show the rest of the season his 2022 status may mean nothing. 

Wouldn't they have to pay him though?  If they exercised the option.  That'd require them to pay 2 managers....