Sign in to follow this  
MrAndMrsFish

Marlins Roster Moves

10 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Hard disagree on those of you saying the opener is bad. It's an awesome strategy and it works, especially with a rotation like ours. Still, Mattingly would never understand how to make it work and would leave the opener in for like four innings, or bring in the bulk reliever and have him just pitch one inning or something. So...should we use Stanek as an opener? No, because Mattingly is our manager. Should we use Stanek as an opener next year? Hopefully yes, when Mattingly is a bench coach or a first base coach for the Yankees. 

There have been multiple times where a reliever could easily be used and SHOULD have been used for two or three innings, and D-Mats used him for one. Or, hell, just one OUT a couple times. Zero bullpen management ability.

31 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Imagine if Donnie could manage a bullpen. Seriously. 

Annoyed me that in all this time, nobody else on the team went and said, "so, hey ... this."

46 minutes ago, Lakeshow00 said:

Hes giving up 18 HRs in his last 10 minor league starts.  The Mets are licking their chops tonight. 

noesi say lets go mets

22 hours ago, Erick said:

Why?

If you have a pitcher that can't go 3 times through a batting order then get another pitcher or just have him go 4 or 5 innings.  What difference does it make if Stanek pitches in the 1st or the 5th and beyond?

There's already too much specialization in baseball as it is.  Platoons, 7th inning guy, setup man, closer and LOOGY.  And don't get me started on this stupid shifts. 

We are taking away name recognition from the game.  Baseball, like any sport needs star power.  Relievers (with the exception of some closers)  and platoon players aren't usually superstars. Baseball is more than just about stats.

Yes, I'm old.  Get off my lawn.  I get it.  But pretty soon the game will be diminished with all of this specialization.  It just takes away from the game.  Baseball has been around longer than any other sport and has always been successful and enjoyable.  Why do we have to change it so drastically now after all of these years?

I know my opinion is in the minority on this site but that's just how I feel.  Part of loving baseball is the traditions and they are flying out the window now.  

11 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

If you have a pitcher that can't go 3 times through a batting order then get another pitcher or just have him go 4 or 5 innings.  What difference does it make if Stanek pitches in the 1st or the 5th and beyond?

There's already too much specialization in baseball as it is.  Platoons, 7th inning guy, setup man, closer and LOOGY.  And don't get me started on this stupid shifts. 

We are taking away name recognition from the game.  Baseball, like any sport needs star power.  Relievers (with the exception of some closers)  and platoon players aren't usually superstars. Baseball is more than just about stats.

Yes, I'm old.  Get off my lawn.  I get it.  But pretty soon the game will be diminished with all of this specialization.  It just takes away from the game.  Baseball has been around longer than any other sport and has always been successful and enjoyable.  Why do we have to change it so drastically now after all of these years?

I know my opinion is in the minority on this site but that's just how I feel.  Part of loving baseball is the traditions and they are flying out the window now.  

Your opinion is completely valid, however, and if the team has five solid to great starters, then there's zero need for an Opener. You're not wrong in your statements. The Opener is used for teams that don't have those solid to great starters and need to get creative. In the Rays case, it has thus far ended up leading to a lot of wins. In the A's case, it ended their playoff run immediately last year.

I like the idea of the Opener (in fact I once had a team in MLB the Show that had a pitching staff of 100% [decent to great] bullpen arms and that team was stupidly good even on a high difficulty level), but I get it's not for everyone. However, it allows pitchers to go max effort for a longer stint, where-as a starter looking to go eight innings will have to hold back on some pitches to conserve some strength, which doesn't work for everyone. Someone like Verlander has it down to a science, simply because even at 80% effort, all of his stuff is better than most other pitchers. Then he ramps it up when need-be.

Is what it is. 😄

8 hours ago, Michael said:

There have been multiple times where a reliever could easily be used and SHOULD have been used for two or three innings, and D-Mats used him for one. Or, hell, just one OUT a couple times. Zero bullpen management ability.

I agree with this.  His biggest weakness by far.