6/4 Post Game Thread

Part of managing should be how to put yourself in the best position to win in a bad situation.  Yet, Don does the opposite, he puts players in the worst position to win so he doesn’t get himself in a bad situation.  Not PH for Cimber with runners on, is what broke the camels back in this one.  You can get multiple innings from Curtiss and Detwiler and still have Pop and Bleier. That group hasn’t pitched in 3 days (basically) and Don wants to manage it like it’s a double header, while the Pirates have no problem without a starter. 

Edited by FishFry

5 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Always wondering why Mattingly would be the manager of the Dodgers for many years and gives the team many division titles if he's really that bad ? I think it's because that team was too good and would winning those division titles no matter who's the manager. 

I think their players were just that good.

5 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Always wondering why Mattingly would be the manager of the Dodgers for many years and gives the team many division titles if he's really that bad ? I think it's because that team was too good and would winning those division titles no matter who's the manager. 

Yep.

That’s a perfect example of why imo managers sometimes get too much credit and/or blame for their team’s performance.

Case in point, the Dodgers during those years that Donnie was the manager, that team would have most likely won regardless of who the manager was. Put in Donnie, Mike Redmond, Freddie Gonzalez or any other manager, and those Dodger teams would have still won. You know why? Because they have some great players surrounded by a group of good players.

Put Joe Maddon, Dave Roberts, Kevin Cash or Rocco Baldelli as the Manager of the 2021 Marlins, and sure they might win a few more games, but I don’t think that they would automatically become a winning team necessarily. Not with the current roster.

I’m not saying that Donnie doesn’t have anything to do with the Marlins record this year, not at all. I’m saying that good/great players can make any manager look good, like Donnie in his Dodgers years, and average/not very good players can make even “good managers” look not that special.

And even in some cases, you can have a team full of good and great players and a good manager and still not make the playoffs, like the last few years of Mike Scoscia in LA.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder if this is the FO's Endgame:

Part 1) Patch together a roster that shows flashes of hope but can't stay afloat.  In other words, a cheap payroll.

Part 2) Put together a Top 5 farm system.  Remind fans that the future is bright so that they dream of a better roster than the current cheap one.

Part 3) Encourage fans to buy tickets and merchandise and remind them about Part 2 as the reason for doing this.  "Be there when it happens!"

Part 4) Keep just enough top prospects that deserve a call-up down so the Farm System stays as a Top 5 system.  Call up lesser prospects to show flashes of that bright future.  Remind fans of Part 2 and Part 3.

Part 5) Make a profit and fuck over the fanbase.  Go back to Part 1 for next season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Part 1) Patch together a roster that shows flashes of hope but can't stay afloat.  In other words, a cheap payroll.

Part 2) Put together a Top 5 farm system.  Remind fans that the future is bright so that they dream of a better roster than the current cheap one.

Part 3) Encourage fans to buy tickets and merchandise and remind them about Part 2 as the reason for doing this.  "Be there when it happens!"

Part 4) Keep just enough top prospects that deserve a call-up down so the Farm System stays as a Top 5 system.  Call up lesser prospects to show flashes of that bright future.  Remind fans of Part 2 and Part 3.

Part 5) Make a profit and fuck over the fanbase.  Go back to Part 1 for next season.

Pretty much - this is why I don't like teams that preach they're "rebuilding".  When a completely new ownership group comes in - i kinda get it if they want to strip it down to the studs and start over to do things their way but after last season the time to put your money where your mouth is arrived and this new group kinda spat in the face of those of us who have hungered for a winner and been the subject of derision across MLB for years.  You should ALWAYS be trying to draft well, make astute trades, and build from within - but you should also ALWAYS be willing to SPEND when necessary to help push your team to the next level when needed - and man, they shit the bed on what was a golden opportunity. 

bottom line...

You can be smart AND spend.  They're making it seem like those two things are mutually exclusive of one another and the only way is to have all your good players be prospects and never spend on anything other than some occasional filler.

1 hour ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Wasnt that often the Loria game plan in may ways?