Acuna Jr is a cry baby

Guest Laurie

Per Braves official Twitter:

“OF Ronald Acuña Jr. underwent an MRI today that showed a complete tear of his right ACL. He will undergo season-ending surgery.”

Pretty much what we expected given he had to be carted off the field. He’ll probably miss some time at the beginning of next season as well. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Per Braves official Twitter:

“OF Ronald Acuña Jr. underwent an MRI today that showed a complete tear of his right ACL. He will undergo season-ending surgery.”

Pretty much what we expected given he had to be carted off the field. He’ll probably miss some time at the beginning of next season as well. 

Glad it happened vs us. I'm sure in Braves lore this is Jose Urena's fault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I also want to clarify my stance on Ronald's injury - do I want him to die or never play baseball again? Nope.  I'm not that much of a monster. 

Do I honestly care he suffered an awful injury? Also nope.

I love guys who clearly have fun while playing. I don't mind giant bat flips or guys yelling/shouting for getting a hit or a key strikeout.  I love all those little nuances that define a player.  I DO draw the line though with guys who CONSISTENTLY crowd the plate so if you pitch inside it is either a strike or you hit the guy and then glare at the pitcher when they get plunked on some body armor while waiting for a teammate or someone to come over and have to pretend restrain him from charging the mound.  It's childish, stupid, and you look like a fucking moron and whiny bitch every time.  Keep your bat flips, keep your fist pumps and shouts over a single (if that's your thing), celebrate wildly with your teammates and clown around a bit with them even - but don't act all fucking hard every time you get hit.  You ain't the biggest badass and if you're in Miami, you never know when Gaby's forearm might appear out of nowhere if you charge the mound.

I sincerely hope this brings him some goddam humility and he returns a different player and we'll get back to hating him for just being insanely talented and getting hits off us.  Will it though? I have my doubts.  See you next year Ronald, the Braves (k)need you.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

He has been hit by the Marlins, Phillies, and Nationals 9 times. No team has hit him more. Mets have only hit Freeman 3 times.

Right - you don't see him doing Acuna's antics when he gets hit either.

19 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I read the other day that the Red Sox have hit him a lot more "often" based on the relatively low number of games vs him. How come he doesn't create a show against them?

Edit: As of last Friday the Marlins had hit Acuna 4 times in 236 plate appearances, Red Sox hit him 3 times in just 59 plate appearances... how is this not a thing? 

It's only been 4?  That MLB Network clip said 7 - it's even worse if it's only 4 times.

4 hours ago, hovertical said:

I also want to clarify my stance on Ronald's injury - do I want him to die or never play baseball again? Nope.  I'm not that much of a monster. 

Do I honestly care he suffered an awful injury? Also nope.

I love guys who clearly have fun while playing. I don't mind giant bat flips or guys yelling/shouting for getting a hit or a key strikeout.  I love all those little nuances that define a player.  I DO draw the line though with guys who CONSISTENTLY crowd the plate so if you pitch inside it is either a strike or you hit the guy and then glare at the pitcher when they get plunked on some body armor while waiting for a teammate or someone to come over and have to pretend restrain him from charging the mound.  It's childish, stupid, and you look like a fucking moron and whiny bitch every time.  Keep your bat flips, keep your fist pumps and shouts over a single (if that's your thing), celebrate wildly with your teammates and clown around a bit with them even - but don't act all fucking hard every time you get hit.  You ain't the biggest badass and if you're in Miami, you never know when Gaby's forearm might appear out of nowhere if you charge the mound.

I sincerely hope this brings him some goddam humility and he returns a different player and we'll get back to hating him for just being insanely talented and getting hits off us.  Will it though? I have my doubts.  See you next year Ronald, the Braves (k)need you.

Totally agree!

It sucks for him/the Braves that he got hurt.  But do I feel bad?  No.  I think the antics are hurting baseball even if MLB wants to promote it.

I'm also with you on having no problem with players getting excited for key hits etc.   But this "charge the mound" mentality every time someone pitches inside to you is ridiculous.  Crowd the plate, you're going to get hit!  Take your base and move on.

I also doubt anything changes with him.  If anything it'll probably be worse.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 3

On 7/11/2021 at 1:57 PM, rmc523 said:

It's only been 4?  That MLB Network clip said 7 - it's even worse if it's only 4 times.

Pablo last week was #5, so Rogers was #6 now, unless I'm forgetting one.

You've gotta figure at least one was intentional by Urena, probably two, if I recall.  So in terms of "accidental" hbp's we're on track with the entire rest of the NL (most everybody else in the NL had hit him 2-3 times when I looked last week).

Edited by cyoung
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Pedro last week was #5, so Rogers was #6 now, unless I'm forgetting one.

You've gotta figure at least one was intentional by Urena, probably two, if I recall.  So in terms of "accidental" hbp's we're on track with the entire rest of the NL (most everybody else in the NL had hit him 2-3 times when I looked last week).

Urena, (2018 Reliever), Elieser, Sandy (playoffs), Pablo, Bender ... I know I'm missing one somewhere. But 7 actually sounds right.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

Urena, (2018 Reliever), Elieser, Sandy (playoffs), Pablo, Bender ... I know I'm missing one somewhere. But 7 actually sounds right.

Didn't Urena hit him twice? First unintentional, then I think he stole a base?, then Urena hit him intentionally at another point in a different game.

29 minutes ago, QbanCastillo said:

Didn't Urena hit him twice? First unintentional, then I think he stole a base?, then Urena hit him intentionally at another point in a different game.

I think so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricWiener1970 said:

He was hit by pitch seven times because the numbers you're looking at are regular season.

Urena hit him once on purpose after he pitched a huge fit for being hit on a pitch that was barely inside

That's what I figured.

I would even argue that the first HBP was intentional - that was the one that ended his leadoff home run streak.  In my opinion, that one, and maybe the intentional one, are are the only two they should possibly be upset with - but even with the second one, he gets a pass because he's Ronald Acuna Jr -  he's allowed to throw temper tantrums and show people up.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, marlinsmaniac said:

Cause you can attack the marlins, but not the Red Sox. They’re too much of a cornerstone franchise for the baseball media to make a villain out of. The other factor is the original instigator was Ureña and let’s face it, super unlikable dude lol. I honestly have zero memory of him ever smiling.

I never had the even the remotest inkling that Ureña was some unlikeable guy.  That thought never even crossed my mind and I never heard anyone in the organization who went elsewhere ever say a single negative remark about him. Just, seemed like a normal dude going about his job and getting along with his team well enough.

14 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I never had the even the remotest inkling that Ureña was some unlikeable guy.  That thought never even crossed my mind and I never heard anyone in the organization who went elsewhere ever say a single negative remark about him. Just, seemed like a normal dude going about his job and getting along with his team well enough.

Well I never said he was a bad teammate or bad person for that matter. I just said that, at least on the field, he didn’t give off a very friendly demeanor that would help in convincing a player in Acuña’s situation that there wasn’t a malicious intent. Had it been a personality like Aguilar’s on the mound, maybe Acuña sees it as accidental from the start. My opinion, just as you have yours 🤷🏻‍♂️

25 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Yeah, Ureña seems likable enough, he's just awful at baseball. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 10:10 PM, QbanCastillo said:

Urena got ejected the 1st time. The 2nd time came last year in his return from Covid. No ejection that time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.