MLB Hoping to Return to 9-inning Doubleheaders in 2022

rmc523

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/mlb-reportedly-hoping-to-return-to-nine-inning-doubleheaders-in-2022.html

As part of the MLB – MLBPA agreements on health and safety protocols, doubleheaders have consisted of a pair of seven-inning games over the past two years. “Barring heavy resistance” from the Players Association, the league is planning to return to the traditional nine-inning affairs for twin bills starting in 2022, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

34 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Good! Can't imagine the MLBPA will care about this. They have bigger things to deal with.

"Oh no, not regulation baseball!" The MLBPA said sarcastically.

MLB, not noticing the sarcasm: "Yep. We gotta do it."

MLBPA, realizing MLB didn't get the sarcasm: "..... we'll do it but only if you give us Universal DH."

• Like 1

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/mlb-reportedly-hoping-to-return-to-nine-inning-doubleheaders-in-2022.html

It's from Nightengale, so take it with a grain of salt, but he's reporting this.....which is along the lines of what we've talked about here - a hybrid of the two - regular play for a couple innings, then add the runner.

The automatic runner rule in extra innings might be modified rather than removed, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale writes.  The rule could be altered so that the auto runner wouldn’t become part of the game until the 11th or 12th inning, with the first extra frame or two played until regular rules.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It's from Nightengale, so take it with a grain of salt, but he's reporting this.....which is along the lines of what we've talked about here - a hybrid of the two - regular play for a couple innings, then add the runner.

I've been saying this since last season, it's the right way to do this rule if at all. 

Yup.  Having the extra runner on 2nd is fine.

Just not until inning 12 or 13.

And in games that dont actually matter.

Granted in post season this rule is thrown in the trash, but thats a different issue. 

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Wtf I didn't know this 

There are ties in the NFL in the regular season, not in playoffs.  In the NHL, they have a 5 minute sudden death OT in regular season followed by a shootout if needed. In the playoffs, they have sudden death OT and keep going until there is a winner. No shootouts there.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

There are ties in the NFL in the regular season, not in playoffs.  In the NHL, they have a 5 minute sudden death OT in regular season followed by a shootout if needed. In the playoffs, they have sudden death OT and keep going until there is a winner. No shootouts there.

Austin Powers Movie GIF

16 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

NFL and NHL. 

16 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Wtf I didn't know this 

NBA, too.

If LeBron is in the playoffs, the referees must call more fouls in his favor. Just how it is.

my issue with the runner on 2nd rule is that is creates an enormous advantage for the home team. Away team doesn't know if they should play for one run or if they need to play for more. Home team knows at the beginning of their at bat if they need just one run to win, or if they need to put together a bigger inning. Inexcusable that Mattingly plays extra inning road games like a home manager, but that's his own lack of logical thinking and not a function of the rule itself. It should not exist, but if it absolutely HAS to, then it should definitely not come into play until at least the 12th inning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

my issue with the runner on 2nd rule is that is creates an enormous advantage for the home team. Away team doesn't know if they should play for one run or if they need to play for more. Home team knows at the beginning of their at bat if they need just one run to win, or if they need to put together a bigger inning. Inexcusable that Mattingly plays extra inning road games like a home manager, but that's his own lack of logical thinking and not a function of the rule itself. It should not exist, but if it absolutely HAS to, then it should definitely not come into play until at least the 12th inning.

With this rule, I believe the road team has won more extra inning games actually.

Home team needing just one run to win is at an advantage absolutely but away team gets the lead, they bring in their closer or best remaining reliever and there ya go.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, SongInTheAir said:

Away team doesn't know if they should play for one run or if they need to play for more. Home team knows at the beginning of their at bat if they need just one run to win, or if they need to put together a bigger inning.

Huh? How is this not the same thing without this rule? The home team, in extra innings, actually starting in the bottom of the 9th, always knows how many runs they need to play for to win. That's the whole point of the home team batting last each inning. I'm not sure how what you're saying wasn't already true of all extra innings games. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Huh? How is this not the same thing without this rule? The home team, in extra innings, actually starting in the bottom of the 9th, always knows how many runs they need to play for to win. That's the whole point of the home team batting last each inning. I'm not sure how what you're saying wasn't already true of all extra innings games. 

You're right, but it adds the extra facet of already having a runner in scoring position. In a standard extra inning game, a sac bunt followed by a sac fly can't win you the game. You need a hit, a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, *something* to get that runner on base first. So I guess to be more accurate, the Manfred Runner Rule takes something that is fair (slight home field advantage) and exacerbates it so that it's extremely uneven.