2021 Trade Deadline Thread

Alright, let’s throw around some possible scenarios. I’ll start....

I’m really interested in Trey Mancini. He can play some outfield and be the right handed platoon to Lewin going forward at first base too. He’s basically a much better version of Coop with the ability to stay healthy (obviously other than the Cancer situation which hopefully never reappears). I prefer him to Mullins 100000%, what do you think it would take to acquire him? 

Edited by marlinsmaniac

17 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Alright, let’s throw around some possible scenarios. I’ll start....

I’m really interested in Trey Mancini. He can play some outfield and be the right handed platoon to Lewin going forward at first base too. He’s basically a much better version of Coop with the ability to stay healthy (obviously other than the Cancer situation which hopefully never reappears). I prefer him to Mullins 100000%, what do you think it would take to acquire him? 

If we were in contention I would agree with you.   At this point,  he's not the type of player the Marlins are looking for.   He's almost 30 and only has 1 more year of control left. At this point, the Marlins are looking for younger and more controllable players. 

Mullins on the other hand is only 26 and has 3 or 4 years of control left. He also plays CF which is a position of need once we trade Marte. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

If we were in contention I would agree with you.   At this point,  he's not the type of player the Marlins are looking for.   He's almost 30 and only has 1 more year of control left. At this point, the Marlins are looking for younger and more controllable players. 

Mullins on the other hand is only 26 and has 3 or 4 years of control left. He also plays CF which is a position of need once we trade Marte. 

Yeah but the same thing goes with him as Bart, you just don’t know what you get with him since this is the first time he’s played a full season. Plus, he’s pretty much what we’ll get with Bleday when he comes up.

The amount of control doesn’t bother me actually. I think the best way for them to proceed given their limited resources is to keep getting these Marte types with a season or two of control to both produce and bridge the gap to the outfield prospects and later flip for more assets to fill areas of need. Otherwise, to get an impact player with 4-5 seasons of control they’ll have to give up 1-2 A++ prospects and I’m not really with that. I prefer filling the team with solid 2-3 war guys than a 4 war guy and a bunch of fringe major leaguers. For example, the Red Sox signed Hunter Renfroe for a little over $4M and he’s been one of the best pickups of the the past 10 years for them. If this team is smart, they can find multiple good players, platoon them correctly and get just as much production as some of these 15M-20M AAV players (a’la Tampa Bay) They just have to stop acting like Berti, Devers, Sierra, Wallach, Brinson, Marrero are major league players and get some real pieces to fill the roster (sorry for the long reply lol)

On 7/23/2021 at 6:47 PM, hovertical said:

it would tide me over until the offseason. they have NO excuse not to spend to fill in some gaps during this offseason.  regardless of trades made at the deadline, there will be more work to be done during the offseason.  So if it APPEARS they're getting in line to field a competitive team in '22 i'll be happy but that happy feeling will vanish if they do nothing again in the offseason. 

Fair?

Agreed here completely - Sure, it'd be a good start.  But if they do that and then proceed to do nothing in the offseason saying "we did our shopping already, we're done", then it'll just be more of the same.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, FishFry said:

The focus for the Giants is only for this year.  Being a team in need to make that playoff push gives the sellers the leverage at a higher premium.  Every playoff push the Marlins made they over spent, that I remember.

Marte is a huge asset regardless of him being a rental next year.  

To be fair, teams would basically deal with Loria who'd say "ok" to trading anyone not on a list with no other input.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:32 PM, FishFan95 said:

It would help, but I am more interested in something like this:

Not Buxton specifically, but if the team shows it is willing to give someone a fairly sized contract, then I will be pretty happy.

I'll believe it when I see it.  Not necessarily Buxton (no thanks based on injury history), just spending in general.

Edited by rmc523

15 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Agreed here completely - Sure, it'd be a good start.  But if they do that and then proceed to do nothing in the offseason saying "we did our shopping already, we're done", then it'll just be more of the same.

To be fair, teams would basically deal with Loria who'd say "ok" to trading anyone not on a list with no other input.

I'll believe it when I see it.  Not necessarily Buxton (no thanks based on injury history), just spending in general.

That would be a very Marlins thing to do - throw all the money at a dude who's injured all the time.

With the talk of Buxton - If they decide Buxton is for sure the guy they want, I'd be more interested in an incentive laden contract with a low base salary with a variety of "easy" to reach incentives - i.e. games played, ABs, etc. as protection from his injury history so that you're not losing as much if he's not playing - as opposed to a straight guaranteed contract.

---

Reports are the Padres might be open to trading Hosmer to help with their luxury tax situation - he has 4 years/60M (21-13-13-13) left on his deal - but the intriguing part of the report to me was about the Padres would need to attach significant prospects to him to help facilitate the deal.  I know we probably wouldn't do something like that but it was interesting anyway.

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

With the talk of Buxton - If they decide Buxton is for sure the guy they want, I'd be more interested in an incentive laden contract with a low base salary with a variety of "easy" to reach incentives - i.e. games played, ABs, etc. as protection from his injury history so that you're not losing as much if he's not playing - as opposed to a straight guaranteed contract.

---

Reports are the Padres might be open to trading Hosmer to help with their luxury tax situation - he has 4 years/60M (21-13-13-13) left on his deal - but the intriguing part of the report to me was about the Padres would need to attach significant prospects to him to help facilitate the deal.  I know we probably wouldn't do something like that but it was interesting anyway.

you'd have to think Buxton himself wouldn't take that deal. it's not like he doesn't realize he's had season ending injuries literally every season but one that he's played in.  I'd vastly prefer a deal like that as well but it doesn't mean he's gonna take it and if i were his agent i'd likely decline it too considering history. 

HARD PASS on Hosmer - we need bats in the lineup and his ain't gonna help much. He'd be dead salary weight.

7 minutes ago, hovertical said:

you'd have to think Buxton himself wouldn't take that deal. it's not like he doesn't realize he's had season ending injuries literally every season but one that he's played in.  I'd vastly prefer a deal like that as well but it doesn't mean he's gonna take it and if i were his agent i'd likely decline it too considering history. 

HARD PASS on Hosmer - we need bats in the lineup and his ain't gonna help much. He'd be dead salary weight.

I know, I'm just saying that'd be the only way I'd really want to sign him.

The Hosmer thing was more about essentially buying prospects (ideally close to majors ones).

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Buxton doesn't seem like the answer for us. I'd be underwhelmed with getting Buxton as the big sign that we're going for it in 2022. 

What other possible long term CF could it be though - going by Mish's rumor that they're going to possibly acuire that and a catcher and we're all going to be happy about it

12 minutes ago, hovertical said:

What other possible long term CF could it be though - going by Mish's rumor that they're going to possibly acuire that and a catcher and we're all going to be happy about it

Some possible combos from the same team For the sake of conversation:

Buxton & Garver for a pitching package including an MLB starter we may be sad to see go or Meyer (I’d hate it)

Mccann & Conforto for Marte, Alfaro And prospects

Vázquez and Durran for Pablo (wouldn’t be against it. Christian calls a great game and can hit well for a catcher

As I said, just for conversation, Not saying I specifically want any of them to happen or think they will. Just getting the rumor mill going lol

55 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Yea I get that but I don't have confidence in Buxton. Relying on him feels about the same as hoping that Monte or Brinson figure it out. 

I don't know the answer of what other CF it could be.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea I get that but I don't have confidence in Buxton. Relying on him feels about the same as hoping that Monte or Brinson figure it out. 

I don't know the answer of what other CF it could be.

I'd be happy with Cedric Mullins. Looks like he can bunt for hits and hit for a lot of doubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Y77Ow3WWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhiUwx5LLdQ

I haven't been keeping track of the minors very closely these last two years... But don't we have a decent amount of CF prospects? Why wouldn't we trade away from our alleged, supposed, probably not real, pitching surplus to acquire something we don't have, like a catcher?

9 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I haven't been keeping track of the minors very closely these last two years... But don't we have a decent amount of CF prospects? Why wouldn't we trade away from our alleged, supposed, probably not real, pitching surplus to acquire something we don't have, like a catcher?

I think they agree with you but since they'll need to replace Marte CF is a possibility too.