2021 Trade Deadline Thread

7 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Mish says that there is a lot of pressure to win in 2022. Pressure from the top. They thought they were going to win this year and will be very aggressive going into next year. If they end up losing again next year, there will be major changes. He described it as unleashing a nuke if it doesn't happen. Probably would be major coaching and FO moves.

This is what we all want

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Mish says that there is a lot of pressure to win in 2022. Pressure from the top. They thought they were going to win this year and will be very aggressive going into next year. If they end up losing again next year, there will be major changes. He described it as unleashing a nuke if it doesn't happen. Probably would be major coaching and FO moves.

Another telegraph.

So they don't have alot of clear options for catcher or cf...they can't build a winning product next year...they are "forced" to fire Don...the new manager doesn't start till 2023 and probably gets a chance to figure it out through 2024.

Really they have bought themselves another two years of this bullshit.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, hovertical said:

Yep, as much as I liked G, that was a crippling contract for the Fish.

I was more pointing out the "Not like we traded Babe Ruth" comment, because we kinda traded Babe Ruth.

Although I will argue.... having G, JT, and Yeli at their current contracts together isn't really crippling when you operate as a mid market team at 130 million. (29 G, 26 JT, 26 Yeli)

This team really needs outfielders and a catcher. Just sucks we had cornerstones and traded em...and we're lamenting Duval and Marte being traded away.

Were so used to the Marlins being cheap, we don't even blink anymore. We got Stockholm syndrome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

The owners think they're losing enough is just what we need, but of course they need to open their POCKETS first. 

Another mention from the Spaces is that Sherman has never told them "no" on any financials - if they want to spend, they're open to do so. Let's see what unfolds this offseason.

5 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Bryan Reynolds isn’t good enough to demand a prospect like Sixto. They probably wanted McCambley and Fitterrer

Gonna disagree with you there, he's been really, really, REALLY good. Last year was weird but I mean, the Centrals had both Cy Young winners AND one of the MVPs so I'm not surprised he struggled.

If we can get the Pirates to give up Reynolds and Stallings for a small pitching package + an outfield prospect (maybe Scott or Monte, throw in Brinson too why not), then do it.

I love that we have such good starting depth and it's great, but we can't just hold on to 12 aces. Even though I've advocated for it previously ("whichever starters don't crack the rotation, place them in the bullpen") which could still be a move for some cases.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Michael said:

Another mention from the Spaces is that Sherman has never told them "no" on any financials - if they want to spend, they're open to do so. Let's see what unfolds this offseason.

Gonna disagree with you there, he's been really, really, REALLY good. Last year was weird but I mean, the Centrals had both Cy Young winners AND one of the MVPs so I'm not surprised he struggled.

If we can get the Pirates to give up Reynolds and Stallings for a small pitching package + an outfield prospect (maybe Scott or Monte, throw in Brinson too why not), then do it.

I love that we have such good starting depth and it's great, but we can't just hold on to 12 aces. Even though I've advocated for it previously ("whichever starters don't crack the rotation, place them in the bullpen") which could still be a move for some cases.

Yep, I didn't realize how good he's been since his name popped up in trade rumors. That's a dude I want on the team. I honestly just flat out don't trust Sixto to stay healthy and in shape and again, once teams faced him a second time he tended to get hit. Sixto+ would be very fair for a huge bat like Reynolds would bring

35 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Yep, I didn't realize how good he's been since his name popped up in trade rumors. That's a dude I want on the team. I honestly just flat out don't trust Sixto to stay healthy and in shape and again, once teams faced him a second time he tended to get hit. Sixto+ would be very fair for a huge bat like Reynolds would bring

And if we keep Sixto, he could end up being a great reliever. 🙃

Sixto with the Stomp could be a fun closer.

28 minutes ago, Michael said:

And if we keep Sixto, he could end up being a great reliever. 🙃

Sixto with the Stomp could be a fun closer.

Oh I've mentioned a few other times that Sixto would probably make a dominant reliever and that may ultimately be his role if he continues to struggle with health and conditioning issues. That will also lessen his trade value versus being a frontline starter like we all hope for - so yeah, for a Reynolds id be a-ok with Sixto+ 

23 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea the Duvall to the Braves thing doesn't bother me. Maybe Mish could have worded it differently but all these things are fluid, things change frequently. The initial preference was to not trade with the Braves but if they really think Duvall needs to be traded and the Braves are giving a return you like then it'd be stupid to stubbornly say you still aren't trading trading them. Especially considering that the Braves in 2021 aren't stopping us from anything. It's not like these two teams are competing for the division right now.

Plus it's not like Duvall is going to haunt us for years to come. If anything trading him to the Braves helps us, a worse draft pick and less development time in the Majors for one of their top prospects.

Hell, I'd argue that I hope the Braves resign him, as he doesn't scare anyone.

13 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

This is bigger than it seems, and is one of the positives of a silent and distant ownership. Loria could never actually do this because HE was making the moves. We were stuck with stupidity until he sold. Sherman can own the team forever and bring in an endless amount of philosophies.

I for one wouldn't fire this FO after next season. Last season was an aberration; it was not a team that typically makes the playoffs. I actually really like Ng and everything they've done so far. I was afraid she'd be a shit diversity hire above all, but I love what she and the team are doing and think they deserve more time.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Absolutely.  Do not revisit that trade. Move along please. I don't blame the Pirates for this, they're doing the right thing, but I don't want the fish to give in to this.

I’m confused. It’s huge to have the chance to pick up a 3+ WAR young CF with 4 years of team control. Sure, I’m not giving up a Meyer / Sixto / Eder package. But if it’s one of those 3 + 2 other more-marginal arms, then that seems like a no-brainer.

Eder, Neidert, Garrett I do in a heartbeat. I’d change Eder for Sixto or Meyer if they change the pitchers to the further-off or less-likely arms.

An all-star at a premium position, one of desperate need for this team. With 4 years of team control. Probably entering his prime soon. This team has more than enough SP depth to give up one of them not named Sandy, Pablo, or Trevor.

• Like 1

Absolutely.  Do not revisit that trade. Move along please. I don't blame the Pirates for this, they're doing the right thing, but I don't want the fish to give in to this.

I’m confused. It’s huge to have the chance to pick up a 3+ WAR young CF with 4 years of team control. Sure, I’m not giving up a Meyer / Sixto / Eder package. But if it’s one of those 3 + 2 other more-marginal arms, then that seems like a no-brainer.

Eder, Neidert, Garrett I do in a heartbeat. I’d change Eder for Sixto or Meyer if they change the pitchers to the further-off or less-likely arms.

An all-star at a premium position, one of desperate need for this team. With 4 years of team control. Probably entering his prime soon.

For that, this team has more than enough SP depth to give up one of them not named Sandy, Pablo, or Trevor.

An all-star at a premium position, one of desperate need for this team. With 4 years of team control. Probably entering his prime soon.

For that, this team has more than enough SP depth to give up one of them not named Sandy, Pablo, or Trevor.

Edited by mystikol87
double post, please remove

8 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

That'd be unacceptable at least to me. Don't know about everyone else.

Same.  I'd be done and "watch from afar".

7 hours ago, Michael said:

If that's true, it's pathetic they didn't try to sign JT.

7 hours ago, hovertical said:

Agree completely.

5 hours ago, Entendu said:

Sixto still projects to be our ace. I don't understand what a few injuries have changed...

You can't be an ace if you're never on the field.

Edited by rmc523

3 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

An all-star at a premium position, one of desperate need for this team. With 4 years of team control. Probably entering his prime soon. This team has more than enough SP depth to give up one of them not named Sandy, Pablo, or Trevor.

Take Meyer out of the equation and do the trade. Giants were dumb to trade Reynolds for Cutch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

You can't be an ace if you're never on the field.

I mean it's been one season. It's not like he has been on and off the IL for three years straight. The kid is 23 and entered 2021 ranked as the No. 6 prospect in all of baseball. He also showed significant promise last year. Way, wayyyy too soon to throw in the towel on him.

Edited by Valid
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valid said:

I mean it's been one season. It's not like he has been on and off the IL for three years straight. The kid is 23 and entered 2021 ranked as the No. 6 prospect in all of baseball. He also showed significant promise last year. Way, wayyyy too soon to throw in the towel on him.

He's had injuries in the minors too.  I'm not throwing in the towel, but not counting on him for anything either.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:57 PM, SonOfJack said:

That was to get out of an awful contract and remains a good move. I am 100% sure the Yankees would want it reversed if they could.

The problem is that we got absolutely nothing of consequence for a guy who was probably the best player on the planet at the time (or at the very least top 3-5). I understand Jeter wanted to get out from under the contract, but for a guy who just hit 59 home runs and won an MVP, you need to get something other than financial relief. His contract also did not look bad at the time given the monster season he had just had.

Keep in mind that I'm one of the more positive posters here when it comes to the FO, but the Stanton trade was bad.

Edited by Valid