2021 Trade Deadline Thread

37 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I love all you emos crying about nothing

Who is crying.

Made no sense to keep Duvall since he was going to walk anyway. And I couldn't care less about losing Curtiss or Garcia or whoever else they traded.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Who is crying.

Made no sense to keep Duvall since he was going to walk anyway. And I couldn't care less about losing Curtiss or Garcia or whoever else they traded.

We're pissed that they did basically nothing so crying about nothing is right I guess?

The trade deadline is for teams to offload players they don't need for the remainder of the season to teams that need them. I wouldn't expect the Marlins to acquire the CF of the future until the off-season... 

2 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I wouldn't expect the Marlins to acquire the CF of the future until the off-season

Fair enough if they actually do that. I think Mish’s tweets on the subject made some have expectations this week. My only problem is that we saw them do virtually nothing last offseason when most of us said they needed to. Now we are waiting for this coming offseason. Do we call them out if they do nothing at that time. Or do we then bury our heads in the sand and say “next offseason is the time!”?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Fair enough if they actually do that. I think Mish’s tweets on the subject made some have expectations this week. My only problem is that we saw them do virtually nothing last offseason when most of us said they needed to. Now we are waiting for this coming offseason. Do we call them out if they do nothing at that time. Or do we then bury our heads in the sand and say “next offseason is the time!”?

I'm all for pressing them starting yesterday. It's time to take the next step forward. Enough rebuilding.

But I think a lot of us are mad that they didn't get that big addition today as if today was the final day they can make that addition. We also don't know what happened today. We also don't know what the other team/teams were doing or saying or asking for on their end. Maybe not doing it today was the right move? Maybe our GM was the one who made the best decision today? We don't know the answer to any of that but those are all possibilities. 

But no today at 4pm I read people here calling themselves stupid for wanting their team to improve, people giving up not only for this season but for 2022 as well, people knowing for sure that Kim Ng wasn't trying to make the Marlins better today. 

It's ok to be frustrated and to vent but take a breath every once in a while too. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Entendu said:

The trade deadline is for teams to offload players they don't need for the remainder of the season to teams that need them. I wouldn't expect the Marlins to acquire the CF of the future until the off-season... 

Eh, its not just to unload players they won't need the rest of the season. If that were the case neither Trout nor Ohtani would be on the Angels for instance. You can use it to get your team into shape for the following season too - they just didn't seem to do that and after not really doing anything in the offseason last year I think most of us assume it will be the same this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

Eh, its not just to unload players they won't need the rest of the season. If that were the case neither Trout nor Ohtani would be on the Angels for instance. You can use it to get your team into shape for the following season too - they just didn't seem to do that and after not really doing anything in the offseason last year I think most of us assume it will be the same this year.

Trout and Ohtani aren't getting traded in the offseason either. Point is, they'll have time in the offseason to add to the roster long-term. People are acting like the team needed a CF to compete this season because we are in the hunt. I'd rather they wait it out than make a bad trade or something they weren't comfortable with. This FO makes good trades. I have faith.

Tomorrow morning, Mish will be breaking down the trade he was hyping.

Edited by Entendu
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hovertical said:

No desire to watch this team at all the rest of the season. It'll be even worse when they start 2022 with mostly the same trash with a few new rats sprinkled in for bargain basement prices and again run out the "we don't expect to score many runs but we like our young pitching" bullshit.  Barring very few exceptions, people don't come to see pitchers. I will NOT be watching next year barring some miraculous amazing offseason that puts at least a middle of the road lineup out there and stops overvaluing our OF prospects. Just won't do it. I am so pissed off at how they handled this season that I can't even think of anything positive to say at all right now. Just can't. Fucking shitty ass team is cursed with trash owners.

This is about where I'm at.  I'll probably tune into a game or two next season, but won't follow closely without some offseason moves.

8 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

They have until Opening Day '22.  If they wanna keep playing the "Our offense is weak, but our pitching is great" bullshit, they can go fuck themselves

Agreed.

7 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Nobody said they did but it doesn't change the fact it was a lackluster deadline and Mish oversold it which increased the disappointment.

Also, we can't constantly move the goalposts. First it was last offseason, now it is next offseason. What happens if they don't do much this offseason? Do we move them again?

I'm not.  Post offseason is it for me as far as following the team closely if they don't make some significant moves.  It's just hard to support it if they're not going to bother.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree with all this and I'm as frustrated as ever with this team but starting at 4pm today several people just exploded with nonsense and assumptions. Apparently the 2022 roster is finalized and Kim Ng spent the morning sleeping in while Craig Mish just makes up random tweets for for likes. 

The disappointment to me was the overhyped deadline by Mish.  I know all the moving parts.  And also don't have a problem with them trading guys like Marte or Duvall who were gone anyway.

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Nope, like I said above, if significant moves aren't made in the offseason, I can't put as much effort into supporting them.

Edited by rmc523

1 hour ago, CyggyMarlin said:

You mean like Casey that robot pitcher for the Hoboken Zephyrs??

... Actually, Anthony needs to wish this season away into the cornfield

I watched the review of it a month ago when you first mentioned it because it’s my name.   My parents used to randomly call me Casey At Bat.  It’s kind of my life story oddly enough.

11 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

TBH we still don’t know how bad the Marlins got fucked by COVID, the true losses won’t be able to be accurately measured for years for sports teams. However, I believe the Marlins have to operate with some urgency this off-season. They need at least one outside hitter coming in. What they currently have isn’t enough. Now, granted, COVID and the upcoming CBA negotiations can change things quickly. But in the first year of a new tv deal and stadium deal, the Marlins should have no excuse not to at least spend a little bit. If they really pinch their pennies this off-season, ownership needs to take a good hard look in the mirror and ask “how long can we keep doing this and achieving these kind of results?” 

6 minutes ago, Entendu said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article252345073.html

A lot of good stuff here. Apparently the big trade was Meyer for Brandon Marsh. I'm glad they didn't do that....

Alfaro won't be retained. They will look for catcher in the offseason

That would have been a bad trade. He said we'd have a wow moment. I guess that qualifies. "Wow, why did they do that?"

I'm also glad it did not happen.

To be clear, I think Marsh is a good player. He is off to a slow start in MLB but very small sample size. I just think we can and should be able to get more of a sure thing for an arm like Meyer. Max is not that far off from the bigs at this point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.