2021 Trade Deadline Thread

8 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Jeter : Kim, fans would be angry if you do nothing in the deadline. 

Ng : Shut up !!! I'm the GM, not them !!!

Jeter : ………

Amazing you have bugged their office 

Wait so they were gonna swap Meyer for Marsh but it didn’t even pop in their heads to go get a controllable PROVEN OF in somebody like Ketel Marte? I seriously think there’s a huge eval flaw when it comes to evaluating hitters.

They chose Duvall or Tyler Naquin and Hunter Renfroe. Both better career hitters.

Refused to address our lack of bench depth.

They draft hitters with high K rates and can’t develop prospects with clear, prominent hit tools in college( see Bleday and Burdick ).

They value power in one of the biggest parks in baseball instead of OBP, average, and total bases.

We need a change in our hitting philosophy and development. 

• Like 1

I guess the reason why I’m not upset but disappointed is that I’m not convinced we will do anything this winter and the FO really needed a win. They drug their feet to make moves when we were struggling which took us out of contention, they seemingly drug their feet in the deadline, so I’m not sold for the winter.

I don’t like the idea of giving up Meyer so I’m cool with that. I do question if Alfaro, Brinson or Monte were offered up in trades. If they aren’t the future, I hope we atleast tried to get something for them. Might not have any value but you have the whole darts concept.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Meyer absolutely can only go for a proven ML outfielder. He’s far too valuable to trade for some other failed prospect. We’ve had far too many of those over the years, it’s time to get something good

The only reason why people are saying this is because we’ve been good developing pitchers/bad developing hitters.

Trading Meyer for Marsh could be a good trade. Meyer is not any more proven than Marsh, and many scouts thought Meyer would be better as a closer when he was drafted. 

The Angels were the ones who rejected the deal according to the report. 

12 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Meyer absolutely can only go for a proven ML outfielder. He’s far too valuable to trade for some other failed prospect. We’ve had far too many of those over the years, it’s time to get something good

I liked the Reynolds idea mentioned in there. Would love to get him on the team. I'm on board with no more fucking prospect bats right now, especially for top prospects. We need guys who have a couple seasons under their belt and have proven capable of getting on base and hitting. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Wait so they were gonna swap Meyer for Marsh but it didn’t even pop in their heads to go get a controllable PROVEN OF in somebody like Ketel Marte?

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

How do you know they didn't think of this or make any attempt for this?

They also went for Bryan Reynolds but "Pittsburgh asked for too much."

1 minute ago, Iowa said:

Does GodfatherMIA post on this site? Talk about a thin skinned bitch on twitter... good lord 

I tried getting him on here but don't think he ever did.

He's a homer, is what it is. Definitely others on there much more thin skinned though.

About halfway through the new swings and mishes episode and agree with most of what they are saying about the trades. I’m fine we traded Duvall just didn’t like the return. They seem to think a lot of these moves are signs we are moving on which was hinted at in that article earlier. I would like to hear that we tried to trade the guys we are moving on from but haven’t heard that yet.

1 hour ago, ZfromCIS said:

Wait so they were gonna swap Meyer for Marsh but it didn’t even pop in their heads to go get a controllable PROVEN OF in somebody like Ketel Marte? I seriously think there’s a huge eval flaw when it comes to evaluating hitters.

They chose Duvall or Tyler Naquin and Hunter Renfroe. Both better career hitters.

Refused to address our lack of bench depth.

They draft hitters with high K rates and can’t develop prospects with clear, prominent hit tools in college( see Bleday and Burdick ).

They value power in one of the biggest parks in baseball instead of OBP, average, and total bases.

We need a change in our hitting philosophy and development. 

Well...

Dbacks supposedly werent looking to move Marte.  The get would have been pretty fucking massive as well.  More then one pitching prospect for him.

It takes two to tango.

And who the fuck actually cares about bench depth in a lost season.

Address that in the winter, you dont address that when you are a losing team in July.  Thats dumb.  

28 minutes ago, AeroFishOne said:

About halfway through the new swings and mishes episode and agree with most of what they are saying about the trades. I’m fine we traded Duvall just didn’t like the return. They seem to think a lot of these moves are signs we are moving on which was hinted at in that article earlier. I would like to hear that we tried to trade the guys we are moving on from but haven’t heard that yet.

Did Mish say anything about how his tweets led to disappointment or about being misled or anything about his hype?

2 hours ago, Entendu said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article252345073.html

A lot of good stuff here. Apparently the big trade was Meyer for Brandon Marsh. I'm glad they didn't do that....

Alfaro won't be retained. They will look for catcher in the offseason

Knew it had to be the Angels. Glad marsh was their target over Adell. Also like that they checked in on Reynolds. They’re on the right thought process, now need to make something happen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Did Mish say anything about how his tweets led to disappointment or about being misled or anything about his hype?

Admitted and joked about how he blew the Duvall trade. Had two screaming kids so might had missed the other 

20 minutes ago, AeroFishOne said:

quite possible nobody else really wanted him either?  They seemed dead set on not trading with the Braves, if we're to believe that lying bastard Mish anyway lol, so perhaps once they learned Duvall wasn't going to exercise his option to remain that they may as well get something for him?  There might have been some shit A ball prospects offered but we need a catcher in the worst way and he does have a 70 tool (power) at least so meh, it's ok. i doubt he'll be worse than either Leon or Alfaro so that means there's a chance he'll actually be better. 

I do NOT want Marsh for Meyer though.  I would be 1000% ok with moving Meyer+ for a proven guy like Reynolds or Ketel. I am NOT sold on the idea of trading for the 39th prospect in baseball who hasn't shown shit at the major league level.  Dont even care it's a small sample size at this point - I've seen TOO many of our hitting prospects get the same excuse and they've NEVER panned out (which, to me, screams that they haven't a clue on how to develop hitters).  The FO also seems to hang onto clear failures WAY TOO LONG - probably partly because they're cheap controllable pieces and they can still run out the "we're rebuilding" line.  I am terrified that they're going to do just that though - trade some top prospects for more of the same shitty prospect bat types we seem to love.  They need at LEAST 2 above average bats added to that lineup for next season - guys who can hit the gaps and take a damn walk if needed.

I also hope that they don't dick around when FA starts due to the upcoming CBA.  Get the guys you need to improve the club signed.  I don't want to hear they weren't comfortable signing anyone until afterward and then by that time it was all table scraps left.

Just now, hovertical said:

I also hope that they don't dick around when FA starts due to the upcoming CBA.  Get the guys you need to improve the club signed.  I don't want to hear they weren't comfortable signing anyone until afterward and then by that time it was all table scraps left.

This is going to happen I believe. Hope I am wrong.

• Like 2

Yea the Duvall to the Braves thing doesn't bother me. Maybe Mish could have worded it differently but all these things are fluid, things change frequently. The initial preference was to not trade with the Braves but if they really think Duvall needs to be traded and the Braves are giving a return you like then it'd be stupid to stubbornly say you still aren't trading trading them. Especially considering that the Braves in 2021 aren't stopping us from anything. It's not like these two teams are competing for the division right now.