2021 Trade Deadline Thread

12 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I'm not sure they fixed Jazz, Jesus and Lewin or not, I think they all the post hype prospects when we acquire them. 

Jazz has been really bad after that injury in late April. Lewin has not done anything at the big league level to inspire confidence and while Sanchez looked good, it was still a small sample size. But yeah, these are the same kind of post hype prospects that they are going after now. Not sure they should put all of their eggs in that basket for position players with an iffy track record in it working out.

7 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

“High asking price” would never be the excuses for not making the good deals, a GM would be fired if he/she not asking high for his/her players. GM is hired to make the good signings and trades, we will know her abilities in the upcoming off-season, just wait and see. 

Proposing Meyer for Marsh was idiotic enough , I hope she can realize she dodged a bullet 

On 8/1/2021 at 1:59 AM, SonOfJack said:

Yeah 4 guaranteed years would probably have been a bad idea. I would have liked 3 plus a 4th year option that either vests or was team oriented. According to rumors, he wasn't on board with that idea though. Likely could've gotten him to take 3 years at a higher AAV though.

Because they didn't acquire a long term CF in the deadline so it's still possible to sign him back in the off-season. 

17 hours ago, el_gmac said:

Proposing Meyer for Marsh was idiotic enough , I hope she can realize she dodged a bullet 

if she revisits that in the offseason and ends up doing that deal i will forever not trust her judgement ever again in terms of trades.

17 hours ago, el_gmac said:

I feel at this point the most beneficial thing would be to re-sign Marte in the off-season. That way they can have their proverbial “cake” and eat it too since they would have both Luzardo AND Marte. He’s played here before and fits in tremendously with this group, just bring him back already. Use the prospects to fill other holes like second and Catcher.

• Like 2

Hey, umm...you're all really overrating Meyer and underrating Marsh. There's a reason the Angels were the ones who said no. MANY scouts think that Meyer will end up in the bullpen (where he'll probably dominate, but still) and Marsh has plus everything right now except power, which is expected to come. He's fast, he's a good fielder with a good arm and a good hit tool. It's a risk, of course, because maybe Meyer sticks as a starter and reaches his #2 upside, but you trade a #2 starter 100% of the time for a starting CF, especially with the depth the Marlins have.

I think I might be the only one, but I would have been psyched if the trade had gone through. 

1 minute ago, SongInTheAir said:

Hey, umm...you're all really overrating Meyer and underrating Marsh. There's a reason the Angels were the ones who said no. MANY scouts think that Meyer will end up in the bullpen (where he'll probably dominate, but still) and Marsh has plus everything right now except power, which is expected to come. He's fast, he's a good fielder with a good arm and a good hit tool. It's a risk, of course, because maybe Meyer sticks as a starter and reaches his #2 upside, but you trade a #2 starter 100% of the time for a starting CF, especially with the depth the Marlins have.

I think I might be the only one, but I would have been psyched if the trade had gone through. 

Maybe the only psyched one but not the only one who would have been fine with it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'm gun shy about this FO acquiring position players haha.

I know we got Jazz and Sanchez, but their track record otherwise isn't good lol.

I’d even go a step further and tell you even those two aren’t locks to be good trades. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I’d even go a step further and tell you even those two aren’t locks to be good trades. 

yep, with as much as Jazz has regressed throughout the course of the season - might not be more than an average guy in the end if he can't figure his shit out. The skills are there - just needs more work.

There's simply not enough of a sample size to declare Sanchez good or bad yet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I agree.  But those were the best of what we've gotten back hitter wise so far......aka not the best track record on developing or acquiring position players.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, mk613 said:

Well if that was true I’d think they’d be stupid especially if they could get away without giving Meyer,Cabrera and hopefully no Eder but maybe McCambley,Nicolas and Fulton and hell Neidert I’d be down for that 

Highly doubt they didn't ask for Meyer or Cabrera. 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Why wasted the precious major league “innings ” in the “relief pitchers ” ? what's the necessity of the bullpen game now !? should just give it to the current and future SPs.

why rushed the prospects unnecessarily 

On 8/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, SongInTheAir said:

I lean more on the opinion that the Angels didn’t make the trade based on their obsession that they value hitting over pitching.  They gotta rank near the top of stubborn teams in that area. 

If Marsh batted right, I’d probably would be reluctantly ok with it.  At this stage of the game we need a proven player at CF not another tooly lefty prospect who strikes out often.  He’s never hit over .300 but once in the minors with below average power at best right now.

Way risky right now for me.  

17 hours ago, FishFry said:

If Marsh batted right, I’d probably would be reluctantly ok with it.  At this stage of the game we need a proven player at CF not another tooly lefty prospect who strikes out often.  He’s never hit over .300 but once in the minors with below average power at best right now.

Way risky right now for me.  

Oddly enough the thing I agree with most here is "if he was righty" - we have a ridiculous amount of lefty bats about to come up. Lol

On 8/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, SongInTheAir said:

It would have been a bit of a coup tbh. 

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Bad news for him personally, but Curtiss just went down with a torn UCL! Hopefully there wasn’t any malice on the side of the marlins, otherwise they dodged a bullet 

I'm sure medicals were exchanged beforehand.  And it was a few weeks ago when he was traded and has made several appearances for them.  It's not like that dude we got from the Padres who blew out his elbow a few pitches into his first appearance with us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'm sure medicals were exchanged beforehand.  And it was a few weeks ago when he was traded and has made several appearances for them.  It's not like that dude we got from the Padres who blew out his elbow a few pitches into his first appearance with us.

Colin Rea, Yeah. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.