2021 Trade Deadline Thread

On 7/20/2021 at 4:56 AM, FishFry said:

Thats what I said earlier Frisaro.   I posted this on the FIRST page. Thats probably where he got it from tbh.  The  gift of being right all the time is my curse.

• Package deals only, quality over quantity.  That means some of our prospects as well  

• Top ready to play prospects/players only.

• Three way trade partners if you don’t like the main suitors.  Better chance to get a player who is major league ready.

• No more fringy batting prospects.  They need to be consistent all around the board.  The farm is already heaped with average and busters. 

• Don’t trade just to trade.  Teams will catch on and we will lose strength in negotiations. 

I’m 100% sure Ng is going to mess this up.  I’ll admit it if I’m wrong.

Totally agree. 

Also, average players are generally worth more to their current franchise than others. You aren't getting a blue chip prospect for an average player. You're getting either a few average prospects or an above average one. No one is trading their top talent for 2 WAR

EDIT: meant to quote Erik. Can't fix. Oops

Edited by Entendu

56 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

I guarantee you Sterling Marte will not get you Joey Bart.

I can guarantee that as well.  I disagree with the 3 pitchers you mentioned for Bart under the circumstances 

1 hour ago, FishFry said:

I can guarantee that as well.  I disagree with the 3 pitchers you mentioned for Bart under the circumstances 

Not exactly sure how you plan on getting Bart then.

Why the fuck would the Giants be in for acquiring a prospect for Joey Bart if they are in win now mode as you said?

We've established that Marte isnt getting them Bart.  

So how exactly are they getting Bart?

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Why the fuck would the Giants be in for acquiring a prospect for Joey Bart if they are in win now mode as you said?

So how exactly are they getting Barth?

You are the only one who brought up pitching prospects, not me.  

I changed my mind about Lopez, I would be fine with that.  

Edited by FishFry

3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

So how exactly are they getting Bart?

It’s not like the Giants must only take starters because they are buyers.  Yes, that is the main reason obviously, but with a centerpiece like Marte that can help now, they should be willing take some prospects and be ok with it.  

I highly doubt that the Giants would turn down Marte just because they didn’t get every player who is ML ready.   Its like not wanting any help at all just because its not 100% convenient. 

Besides, we have some arms that have been decent this year.  It’s not like every player has to be Greg Maddux.

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

It seems meaning this team would do their best to try to compete in the next season, should I believe in it ?

Wait and see, be doubtful, be hesitant to believe it. 

I believe they'll "try to compete" but that could just be what they've done in 21 which is basically "well we're not tanking."

Lately I've been reminded of what Stanton said about the Marlins rebuild when he was traded to the Yankees. He hinted that it might work one day but that if you're a fan you should "watch from a far." That's pretty much what I've done for the last month or two. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FishFry said:

It’s not like the Giants must only take starters because they are buyers.  Yes, that is the main reason obviously, but with a centerpiece like Marte that can help now, they should be willing take some prospects and be ok with it.  

I highly doubt that the Giants would turn down Marte just because they didn’t get every player who is ML ready.   Its like not wanting any help at all just because its not 100% convenient. 

Besides, we have some arms that have been decent this year.  It’s not like every player has to be Greg Maddux.

No I said the Giants are only trading Bart if it nets them a controllable starting pitcher with proven MLB success.  

Its not like Bart is the ONLY piece in their system, just that from word on the street, he isnt being moved in a scenario for a rental.  Marte is a rental.  

So if you put 2 and 2 together, along with comments coming out of the Marlins about being willing to move a pitcher....

Figure it out.  

Also people here are so overrating the actual value of a rental in terms of prospect return the last 2-3 years.

Go look at those deals and get back to me on what you think Marte is going to bring back on his own or even as the centerpiece of a deal.  

two notes on this:

firstly, the marlins traded Adrian Gonzalez for 2 months of Ugeth Urbina, the White Sox traded a generational talent in Tatis Jr for 2.5 seasons of crap from James shields. In other words, sometimes a desperate team overpays so the Marlins should 100% be setting the price high. I fully believe the Giants part with Bart for less than some may think mostly cause I feel they lost hope in him to a certain degree. They’re making a run THIS year and he is currently a non-factor in the team. If the marlins want him, now is definitely the time to acquire him while the price has never been lower.  

Second: I don’t fucking want buxton lol. He’s always hurt, he’s never been good at hitting till this season in a very small sample size, and most of his past value has come from defense and his speed. We have that already in Brinson and Monte Harrison. I’d rather keep them around 5 more years to give them a chance to figure out their potential as well than trade any of our top pitching for him.  The marlins don’t need any more high ceiling wild cards. They need proven, consistent players that can consistently put at least a few runs on the board. The kind of package people are mentioning for Buxton is the kind of prospects I’d give up for an Eloy Jiménez. Yeah, pitching is our strength now and we need to trade from it, but no point in weakening it just to have another guy in the lineup with “potential” who struggles to be consistent or stay healthy. We have plenty of those...

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Second: I don’t fucking want buxton lol. He’s always hurt, he’s never been good at hitting till this season in a very small sample size, and most of his past value has come from defense and his speed. We have that already in Brinson and Monte Harrison. I’d rather keep them around 5 more years to give them a chance to figure out their potential as well than trade any of our top pitching for him.  The marlins don’t need any more high ceiling wild cards. They need proven, consistent players that can consistently put at least a few runs on the board. The kind of package people are mentioning for Buxton is the kind of prospects I’d give up for an Eloy Jiménez. Yeah, pitching is our strength now and we need to trade from it, but no point in weakening it just to have another guy in the lineup with “potential” who struggles to be consistent or stay healthy. We have plenty of those...

Buxton even injured all the time will forever be heads and tails above anything Brinson or Mad Monte will do. That said I don't like the idea either because he's more injury prone than seemingly any other player in MLB. Seriously, I didn't even realize he's been in the league as long as he has until I went and looked as his career stats and saw how few games a year he plays - and when he does get injured it's almost always a season ending injury. 

I do hope you're kidding about giving Brinson and Monte 5 years though....Monte should be gone after this season as he has shown NOTHING and always looks like a little leaguer trying to hit off DeGrom. he has looked that lost at the plate - literally worse than Isan. Brinson MIGHT be ok for a bench bat. Maybe and he's slightly improved himself the last couple seasons to where he might find a niche as a bench bat if he keeps working at it.

Edited by hovertical

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

do hope you're kidding about giving Brinson and Monte 5 years though.

Yeah I was just making a point of saying that, despite not wanting either of the options, I’d rather give them 5 years to figure it out the way it took Buxton all these years to figure it out than trade a Meyer/Eder/Cabrera type arm for him. He isn’t good IMO and isn’t controllable after the season. That’s why I mentioned I’d make the trade but only for an Eloy Jimenez type player.

4 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Also people here are so overrating the actual value of a rental in terms of prospect return the last 2-3 years.

Go look at those deals and get back to me on what you think Marte is going to bring back on his own or even as the centerpiece of a deal.  

We are talking about multiple teams who are competing against other teams for a player of need and each situation is different.   I can’t judge Marte’s value if I don’t have all that information on me nor can you.  This isn’t a value chart like a NFL draft trade or something.  Your battling an unknown measure of each team’s willingness to go all in.   

Marte and a few decent prospects could  land Bart.   Doesn’t matter if those prospects are ML ready either.  It helps but it’s not a deal breaker for a team who in need of the main piece.

4 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Considering twins return for Nelson fish should net something useful assuming (big assumption) they cover some salary 

Which they absolutely should!

There’s no fucking excuse anymore to keep dumping salary. The rebuild as a whole is nearing completion and the staff looks like it’s about to be great for years to come (assuming health). let’s get some good controllable hitters on this team and reward us miserable fucks who support this shit!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Which they absolutely should!

There’s no fucking excuse anymore to keep dumping salary. The rebuild as a whole is nearing completion and the staff looks like it’s about to be great for years to come (assuming health). let’s get some good controllable hitters on this team and reward us miserable fucks who support this shit!

I have gone ahead and censored all your filthy language. Whatever is still regular size in the quote is acceptable here but please watch your words. This is a family blog, sir.

A FAMILY BLOG!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, pollythewog said:

Considering twins return for Nelson fish should net something useful assuming (big assumption) they cover some salary 

When you say the Marlins cover some salary I'd imagine they literally cover the money they have with a blanket so that nobody knows they actually have any funds of any kind. 

• Haha 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.