2021 Trade Deadline Thread

6 hours ago, FishFry said:

I thought I read on the forum that MLB may implement pushing back the mound. 

🤷‍♂️

Oh. That wouldn't be in MLB next year and may not happen - even so one foot isn't actually nearly as big a deal as people are making it. It'll help offense a little, for sure, but not extreme.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael said:

Oh. That wouldn't be in MLB next year and may not happen - even so one foot isn't actually nearly as big a deal as people are making it. It'll help offense a little, for sure, but not extreme.

Idk, seems like it'll be a pretty big issue for a pitcher locating a breaking ball.  They've been the same distance their entire lives, now it changes.

In terms of fastballs, I don't think that'll be as big of a deal.

I think there will be a lot more BB's, wild pitches, HBP (probably against the Braves mostly), and make most of the offensive #'s climb.

Edited by cyoung

On 7/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Valid said:

I mean he's 23 with electric stuff and only threw 39 innings last year (and was, for the most part, really solid). Isn't it a little too early to say we don't trust him?

As for all of the "trade Pablo" talk, do you people realize how rare it is to have this type of starting pitching? All we need is a semi-competent offense and we'll be in legitimate contention for years to come. People said his value had never been higher last year either, and look what happened: it has only increased. Maybe the dude is just really freaking good and we shouldn't trade him for a prospect?

Only way I'm even considering moving Pablo is if we get a proven major-league bat in return. Otherwise, hell no.

The concern is there's no indication they can build a semi-competent offense, and doesn't look like they're willing to spend on one.  So how will you get it?

22 hours ago, FishFry said:

I thought I read on the forum that MLB may implement pushing back the mound. 

🤷‍♂️

They were discussing ideas to consider and maybe implement in alternate leagues to test, not in MLB.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Breaking pitches get more effective with more distance. 🙂

Absolutely, in terms of range of motion.  The pitcher being able to locate it is a different story.

Moral of my story is, leave it the hell alone.  There's no reason.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 1:40 PM, FishFry said:

I agree with everything you’re saying although with Pablo, he’s reached his max value and his numbers aren’t sustainable.  I’m also a bit concerned for him when the new mound rules take effect next year. 

The difference between Sandy and Pablo is that Sandy can sustain a 3.00 ERA with slumps because he has better stuff.  Pablo is a pitcher’s pitcher if he slumps or they figure it out, he will be a middle rotation piece.  That’s not bad, but he has ace value right now with a surplus of pitchers who will be ready next year.

I'm curious about what makes you say that? Pablo is outpitching his peripherals, but only very slightly. He's put up a 3.03 ERA with a 3.21 FIP and 3.35 xFIP (also a 3.48 SIERA).

Meanwhile, Sandy: 3.23 ERA, 3.56 FIP, 3.83 xFIP, 4.07 SIERA.

So if anyone's actually outpitching their true value and putting up unsustainable numbers, it's Sandy

(I actually think they are both very good, mid-3 ERA pitchers that make up an excellent 2/3 combo in the rotation after our ace Ross Detwiler Trevor Rogers

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:55 PM, sgleason02 said:

Just feel like the general consensus around here is that he’s the best all around hitter on the team. He doesn’t have enough speed to hit lead off. He doesn’t have enough contact to hit 2nd or 3rd on most teams. Not enough power to hit cleanup, so I think most teams would view him more as their #5/#6 hitter in their lineup. His defense is far from elite. And while I realize you can’t have a superstar at every position, I just don’t view him as the franchise building block that many people make him out to be. I think he’s a good baseball player, but that he’s closer to average than superstar.

"His defense is far from Elite"? LMAO Do you even watch the games?  

On 7/18/2021 at 7:08 PM, SongInTheAir said:

I'm curious about what makes you say that? Pablo is outpitching his peripherals, but only very slightly. He's put up a 3.03 ERA with a 3.21 FIP and 3.35 xFIP (also a 3.48 SIERA).

Meanwhile, Sandy: 3.23 ERA, 3.56 FIP, 3.83 xFIP, 4.07 SIERA.

So if anyone's actually outpitching their true value and putting up unsustainable numbers, it's Sandy

(I actually think they are both very good, mid-3 ERA pitchers that make up an excellent 2/3 combo in the rotation after our ace Ross Detwiler Trevor Rogers

Sorry, didn’t see your post sooner.

I don’t think Pablo can sustain his current peripherals he is on.  His ERA matches the numbers you mentioned so  it’s not a fluke in that regard.   

My comment was more opinion based which is basically guaranteed these days.  I said this before, that Pablo is a young Anibal Sanchez.  If Pablo’s ERA sits between 3.30-3.40 at years end (my projection), that wouldn’t surprised me any, since I’m right so many times on here.   My track record is nearly flawless . A good manager would know this by now.

Of course, there are a few haters,  but I know I have a huge unregistered fan base that reads my posts like I’m some sort of sports fantasy guru.   

Edited by FishFry
  • Banana 1

19 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Thats what I said earlier Frisaro.   I posted this on the FIRST page. Thats probably where he got it from tbh.  The  gift of being right all the time is my curse.

• Package deals only, quality over quantity.  That means some of our prospects as well  

• Top ready to play prospects/players only.

• Three way trade partners if you don’t like the main suitors.  Better chance to get a player who is major league ready.

• No more fringy batting prospects.  They need to be consistent all around the board.  The farm is already heaped with average and busters. 

• Don’t trade just to trade.  Teams will catch on and we will lose strength in negotiations. 

I’m 100% sure Ng is going to mess this up.  I’ll admit it if I’m wrong.

• Like 1

I feel like we have to be careful in not appreciating some of our average/above average position players.

Has anyone seen how this organization is developing position players? 

Guys like Miguel Rojas, Brian Anderson, etc. aren’t irrelevant pieces, especially for a team that is not going to spend money. 

Carlos Correa is not replacing Miguel Rojas any time soon, and idk who people plan on playing 3B in the near future, but he’s probably not going to be better than a healthy Brian Anderson either. 

• Like 2

with as utterly AWFUL as this FO has been this season this is the single most nerve wracking deadline i can recall in recent memory.  we KNOW a fair amount of guys will probably be traded and with as seemingly brain dead as the FO has been this year - man, it's really hard to envision anything of worth coming back - at least to make the team a viable playoff contender in '22 and stop pissing away valuable years of control on the arms we have.  they literally ruined baseball season for me this year.  i didn't like their lineup going into the season at all and i hate it even more now. 

i really hope they pay extra to get better prospects and don't shortchange the return by insisting the other team pay $ as part of the deal or take player x so we can get rid of their salary and thus lessen the return.  personally, that's what i'm really dreading.  There's no large long-term contracts on this team as is so it makes zero sense to require that as part of any trade at this juncture.  I 100% hope i'm proven wrong and we walk away from this deadline truly shocked and we learn that Ng is a mastermind afterall.  Just man, the "cheapness" has really been felt since last offseason ever since we all learned what JT signed for. 

Again, hope we're all pleasantly surprised.

3 minutes ago, hovertical said:

with as utterly AWFUL as this FO has been this season this is the single most nerve wracking deadline i can recall in recent memory.  we KNOW a fair amount of guys will probably be traded and with as seemingly brain dead as the FO has been this year - man, it's really hard to envision anything of worth coming back - at least to make the team a viable playoff contender in '22 and stop pissing away valuable years of control on the arms we have.  they literally ruined baseball season for me this year.  i didn't like their lineup going into the season at all and i hate it even more now. 

i really hope they pay extra to get better prospects and don't shortchange the return by insisting the other team pay $ as part of the deal or take player x so we can get rid of their salary and thus lessen the return.  personally, that's what i'm really dreading.  There's no large long-term contracts on this team as is so it makes zero sense to require that as part of any trade at this juncture.  I 100% hope i'm proven wrong and we walk away from this deadline truly shocked and we learn that Ng is a mastermind afterall.  Just man, the "cheapness" has really been felt since last offseason ever since we all learned what JT signed for. 

Again, hope we're all pleasantly surprised.

we're going to trade legitimately solid major league baseball players for minor league pitchers who don't strike anyone out but "throw strikes" and minor league hitters who don't hit home runs but strike out all the time. It's going to be the same shit as usual. 

15 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

we're going to trade legitimately solid major league baseball players for minor league pitchers who don't strike anyone out but "throw strikes" and minor league hitters who don't hit home runs but strike out all the time. It's going to be the same shit as usual. 

What's kinda amazing to me is that this team could easily be a very solid playoff contender next season or could be a 95 loss team depending on a just a few moves.  I don't think they'll be hovering at .500 next season - it'll be one extreme or the other.  Based on our history? it's probably going to be a shitty team though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Will they actually try and get players who can actually better them in 2022 or will it be more of padding the minor league system with their returns? 

Both can be said for the same player. Get a guy in AA who is close and then contributes in 2022. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Will they actually try and get players who can actually better them in 2022 or will it be more of padding the minor league system with their returns? 

If they do the latter, like I assume they will, they'll just keep trotting out the "we have layers of depth in the minors who will contribute in x number of years. We like the direction we're headed. Just be patient."

• Like 1

I'm really not expecting much in returns,,,, I dare the FO to "wow" me 

(From 6/4 Game Thread):

Sometimes I wonder if this is the FO's Endgame:

Part 1) Patch together a roster that shows flashes of hope but can't stay afloat.  In other words, a cheap payroll.

Part 2) Put together a Top 5 farm system.  Remind fans that the future is bright so that they dream of a better roster than the current cheap one.

Part 3) Encourage fans to buy tickets and merchandise and remind them about Part 2 as the reason for doing this.  "Be there when it happens!"

Part 4) Keep just enough top prospects that deserve a call-up down so the Farm System stays as a Top 5 system.  Call up lesser prospects to show flashes of that bright future.  Remind fans of Part 2 and Part 3.

Part 5) Make a profit and fuck over the fanbase.  Go back to Part 1 for next season.

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

If they do the latter, like I assume they will, they'll just keep trotting out the "we have layers of depth in the minors who will contribute in x number of years. We like the direction we're headed. Just be patient."

Always building for the future. Too afraid to take the next step forward.