Is Jeter in this for the long haul?

SonOfJack

As some (or all) of you know, Jeter invested $25 million when Sherman bought the team. Jeter was then named CEO at a salary of $5 million per year. Doing some simple math, Jeter will recoup his investment after collecting his salary in 2022.

Do you think Jeter sticks around after 2022 or is he going to move on after recouping his investment?

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

As some (or all) of you know, Jeter invested $25 million when Sherman bought the team. Jeter was then named CEO at a salary of $5 million per year. Doing some simple math, Jeter will recoup his investment after collecting his salary in 2022.

Do you think Jeter sticks around after 2022 or is he going to move on after recouping his investment?

There’s no way he’s in it for the long haul. I don’t think he’ll leave as soon as he breaks even though. He’ll stick around to collect some profit after recouping.  But if the current “core” doesn’t pan out and there’s a fire sale, I think he leaves. 

Despite my extreme frustration with him and his plan this year I do believe the idea of "Jeter is a winner and doesn't get into anything to lose." I can't see him bullshitting his way through this, he isn't a guy who likes to be associated with failure and he won't want people saying he couldn't make the Marlins a success. Even if he's a cheap ass he'll try and make this work and he'll try for a while. If you're asking about him being gone after 2022 I'd say no way, that seems way too soon. The negative stigma he would get leaving so soon would be God awful for him. To me this is about his reputation first and foremost way more than about his investment. 

Now if you're asking me about him being here really long term like ten to twenty years from now then maybe there's something to that question. 

So, no I don't think he'll be gone soon, I think he is in it for the long term but I do question how long "long term" really is.

Financially, even if he's in it to recoup his investment, I'd say he sticks around longer to make some money and not that he dips the second his investment is recouped.

• Like 1

In his deal- a big bonus if there was a bottom line profit.  Well, that works out well if no big contracts are given and all the money from the new tv deal and naming rights are included.  It's called motivation. There is no bonus for winning, just profits.  If we win, well, just a nice add on.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/01/08/derek-jeter-will-get-big-bonuses-if-the-marlins-turn-a-profit/

Edited by fish53
to add a line
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Despite my extreme frustration with him and his plan this year I do believe the idea of "Jeter is a winner and doesn't get into anything to lose." I can't see him bullshitting his way through this, he isn't a guy who likes to be associated with failure and he won't want people saying he couldn't make the Marlins a success. Even if he's a cheap ass he'll try and make this work and he'll try for a while. If you're asking about him being gone after 2022 I'd say no way, that seems way too soon. The negative stigma he would get leaving so soon would be God awful for him. To me this is about his reputation first and foremost way more than about his investment. 

Now if you're asking me about him being here really long term like ten to twenty years from now then maybe there's something to that question. 

So, no I don't think he'll be gone soon, I think he is in it for the long term but I do question how long "long term" really is.

Financially, even if he's in it to recoup his investment, I'd say he sticks around longer to make some money and not that he dips the second his investment is recouped.

I'm not sure he'd be looked at as a failure even if he left immediately after recouping his money. Knowing how the AP always spins anything Marlins related it would likely still end up more LOL@MARLINS than at Jeter despite him clearly being the one who made most of the hiring decisions.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

"Jeter is a winner and doesn't get into anything to lose." I can't see him bullshitting his way through this, he isn't a guy who likes to be associated with failure and he won't want people saying he couldn't make the Marlins a success

What if he says he was fooled by Sherman's intentions? A lot of people blame Jeter exclusively for some reason, but Sherman is ultimately making the financial calls even if he lets Jeter make personnel decisions. Jeter isn't able to sign anyone without Sherman's consent I assume. Maybe he thought Sherman would not pinch every penny and is now seeing reality. Could be a way for him to exit and just basically say it was Sherman's fault it didn't work out.

I am not saying Jeter is innocent here, but could be the way he spins it and any media friends of his spin it. 

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

I'm not sure he'd be looked at as a failure even if he left immediately after recouping his money. Knowing how the AP always spins anything Marlins related it would likely still end up more LOL@MARLINS than at Jeter despite him clearly being the one who made most of the hiring decisions.

Jeter himself is a bigger thing than the Marlins entire franchise. If they fail under him he's getting the blame. He won't be let off the hook just because the Marlins are known to fail. 

25 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

What if he was fooled by Sherman's intentions? A lot of people blame Jeter exclusively for some reason, but Sherman is ultimately making the financial calls even if he lets Jeter make personnel decisions. Jeter isn't able to sign anyone without Sherman's consent I assume. Maybe he thought Sherman would not pinch every penny and is now seeing reality. Could be a way for him to exit and just basically say it was Sherman's fault it didn't work out.

I am not saying Jeter is innocent here, but could be the way he spins it and any media friends of his spin it. 

I can't see Jeter throwing Sherman under the bus. If they fail I could absolutely see Jeter having the balls to say "this is all on me." Despite our frustrations lately the guy is pretty upstanding always. The media taking it off him? Yeah maybe. 

Just now, SilverBullet said:

is Jeter dipping after 2022? 

I don't think so, but was curious what others thought.

Though I don't think he stays more than another 5 years or so, if the situation here remains the same.

• Like 1

So ...

Not sure if anyone joined the fun Spaces chat on Twitter last night, but a particular writer happened to join in (not going to name them directly).

Take this however you will, a little paraphrasing.

"If the team won an average of 85 games a year for the next ten years, they'd consider that to be fine."

They were asked if they believe the FO's ultimate goal is a title. That was the response.

So ... 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully not the case and the team actually pushes forward.

Did also mention the FO is aware of the major downfalls they made this year and the offseason will be a bit of a reflecting time to see what they can improve, so there's hope there (NOTE - it was also mentioned a lot of struggling minor league players will be getting a lot of revamping this offseason as well, they're just letting them figure things out in a full Minors season which is the first for many of them).

And Stottlemyre's contract expires after this year but there was no further comment on that.

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I don't think so, but was curious what others thought.

Though I don't think he stays more than another 5 years or so, if the situation here remains the same.

Yep I think this is the "right" answer for now... he's not leaving yet but questioning just how long he'll stick around without real success is very valid now. 

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

"If the team won an average of 85 games a year for the next ten years, they'd consider that to be fine."

Ehh, this doesn't have to be taken negatively considering the history of this team.

85 wins sounds like a miracle for this team right now. If they're around 85 wins for a decade and can somehow push for more here and there that sounds good to me right now. 

But yes the question is if they do what they need to do to fight for more than 85. 

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Also worth noting and probably terrible timing to bring it up, but they're possibly looking at a Sandy extension this offseason.

Hope he wants a long term AAV of 10 mil or he's gone

32 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Hope he wants a long term AAV of 10 mil or he's gone

A little more leverage the Marlins way since Sandy isn't knocking on the door of free agency so he may end up slightly discounted.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

A little more leverage the Marlins way since Sandy isn't knocking on the door of free agency so he may end up slightly discounted.

Yeah but they'll probably just wait and take it year by year.

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Something in the 80s I'd assume

Right so how are we upset if the Marlins average 85 wins for a decade? If it means the goal or peak is 85 wins then yea not enough but hovering in the mid 80s for this franchise sounds like a great improvement. 

Another thought... if Jeter can't get it done over time and he does what needs to be done from the FO then he can blame the franchise and the city and the fanbase and all that stuff and then it's well the Marlins will never succeed.

But if he dips relatively soon without signing players and without increasing payroll then it's 100% on him and his regime for not really trying.

So if he doesn't wanna be seen as a failure Jeter must do his part.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.