Alcantara on bereavement list

Admin

22 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Ah shit, poor guy. I always wonder how they just get right back to having to perform such a difficult feat (baseball) at such a high level after things like that. No death is easy but i'm just really hoping it's not his wife or child...

I think the rule is stupid. Minimum of 3 days I guess makes sense so nobody games the system (how ghoulish if so), but why is there a 7-day maximum? Maybe it takes more than 7 days sometimes. What happens if a guy needs more time at that point?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I think the rule is stupid. Minimum of 3 days I guess makes sense so nobody games the system (how ghoulish if so), but why is there a 7-day maximum? Maybe it takes more than 7 days sometimes. What happens if a guy needs more time at that point?

The minimum definitely makes sense, teams would probably use it way too loosely to get a fresh arm up without having to make a "real" roster move otherwise.

For the maximum though, it's probably just a logistical thing (it is a job after all, and I can't just take an infinite number of days before I return to work if something happens) but I am sure MLB would look the other way if a team placed a guy on the 10-day IL if he was unable to return from the bereavement list after 7. IL stints are obviously handled differently in terms of paperwork and salary/service time things, so maybe the 7-day max for the bereavement list is more about that and less about, "get back on the field and play no matter what you feel"

• Like 3

6 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I always wonder how they just get right back to having to perform such a difficult feat (baseball) at such a high level after things like that.

Obviously not playing in MLB myself, but from personal experiences of loss and getting back to work, sometimes you just need a really focus-intensive distraction, and that's what this provides. Just an escape for a couple of hours.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Obviously not playing in MLB myself, but from personal experiences of loss and getting back to work, sometimes you just need a really focus-intensive distraction, and that's what this provides. Just an escape for a couple of hours.

Yeah I guess I'm just projecting my personality on them lol I tend to want to be far as fuck from any and everyone when shit like that goes down until my mind heals up. I guess others (especially athletes) also have the mentality of using it as motivation and going out and "winning it" for them pretty much. 

29 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah I guess I'm just projecting my personality on them lol I tend to want to be far as fuck from any and everyone when shit like that goes down until my mind heals up. I guess others (especially athletes) also have the mentality of using it as motivation and going out and "winning it" for them pretty much. 

I'd say that's about right.