Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Pitching depth on display last night

10 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

I like Sixto for obvious reasons, but my two favorite pitchers in the system are Braxton Garret and Nick Neidert. Both have put up tremendous numbers in their non injury ridden seasons. Both posses the same 'pitchability' trait that everyone was raving on about Gallen. Both have better pure stuff than Gallen.

How can anyone be better than Gallen who is Cy Young 2.0?

I looked up a few stats on Sandy. His chase rates and contact rates are not much different than guys like Gallen and Caleb Smith. In fact he has given up less hard contact than the two of them. He even throws more strikes than Gallen.

The only reason I can think of to explain his stark walk and strikeout rates compared to them would be that it is a mental issue. That he is not being aggressive enough in the zone at times and that gets him into trouble. This is reflected in the fact that Sandy has probably had the best starts as well as the worst starts of the year on this pitching staff.

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

They have better pure stuff, but Gallen is a better pitcher because he resurrected the OG Cy Young and did a voodoo ritual to steal his pitching juju.

Has anyone watched Daniel Castano pitch? Is he actually good? On paper he looks like he is the second coming of Zac Gallen. He has made AA look not good. Does anyone know if he will get starts in triple A? Should he be on our radar? Did we really get 3 pieces and Sierra from the Cardinals???

3 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

On paper he looks like he is the second coming of Zac Gallen

Calm the fuck down. Don't just go around throwing out comparisons to Gallen. It makes you look ignorant. Nobody will ever come close to that level of talent.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

Has anyone watched Daniel Castano pitch?

Definitely. He's been playing baseball most of his life, I'm sure plenty of people have watched him pitch.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Definitely. He's been playing baseball most of his life, I'm sure plenty of people have watched him pitch.

Proof!?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

I looked up a few stats on Sandy. His chase rates and contact rates are not much different than guys like Gallen and Caleb Smith. In fact he has given up less hard contact than the two of them. He even throws more strikes than Gallen.

The only reason I can think of to explain his stark walk and strikeout rates compared to them would be that it is a mental issue. That he is not being aggressive enough in the zone at times and that gets him into trouble. This is reflected in the fact that Sandy has probably had the best starts as well as the worst starts of the year on this pitching staff.

This has been a point of controversy all year. Multiple times on this forum people have suggested sending him down. But in terms of swing and miss rate, and hard hit rate he is probably the best pitcher on the team. The thing he is missing isn't mental, I think it's understanding.

He has the best stuff on the staff, but he has no idea how to get outs. I've watched enough of the games he pitches that I always kind of feel that he isn't setting guys up, he isn't thinking about the at bat as a game, he is just throwing. Sometimes the batter chases sometimes they don't. If he ever figures out how to set guys up, how to do the mind part of baseball he is a cy young candidate. His stuff is that much better than everyone else's. 

7 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

How long are we doing the Gallen Cy Young gag?  

3 more weeks?  3 more months?  

Are there a lot if people still actively complaining about the trade on this board? 

For what it’s worth, I think when all is said and done we will win the Jazz for Gallen trade.  Gallen’s advanced numbers show he is due for regression. 

12 minutes ago, DTrain said:

How long are we doing the Gallen Cy Young gag?  

3 more weeks?  3 more months?  

Are there a lot if people still actively complaining about the trade on this board? 

For what it’s worth, I think when all is said and done we will win the Jazz for Gallen trade.  Gallen’s advanced numbers show he is due for regression. 

I feel like it will keep showing up in ever decreasing frequency until Gallen has had as many starts with Arizona as he has had with the Marlins.