Yermin Mercedes Retires; Unretires

Michael

I doubt this sticks. He's an emotional guy and he obviously is upset that he hasn't been promoted back to the big leagues yet. He was angry he was demoted in the first place. There are obviously better ways to handle this but I am guessing his agent will try and have a good long talk with him.

Didn't Domingo German fake retire at least once last year?

• Like 1

There’s been a lot more of this lately. And I don’t mean quitting, but just blatant disrespect toward MLB teams by players on social media for sending them down, not bringing them back up, an in-game decision, judging a trade, etc. I really don’t think that’s a winning battle for the players as a negotiation tactic.

Imagine teams were doing dramatic things like this on social to basically complain about a player. There’d be law suits from the union saying the team is hurting the players ability to get picked up by another team. I’m 100% for players/teams having gripes and being pissed about shit, but you handle that in the quiet of the owner’s/manager’s office and that goes both ways.

P.S. I think this goes a bit further with Yermin cause he could have just requested to be traded. There’s either a small wire loose in the circuit or he’s playing a very heavy game of hardball with them.

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

He may want to go to another organization, can’t blame him. But this won’t get it done automatically and I would hope someone told him that if he wasn’t aware. 

I'd be hesitant to trade for him too due to shit like that too tbh

5 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

blatant disrespect toward MLB teams by players on social media

It's gone both ways though, what LaRussa did to Yermin was atrocious and what teams do to all of their minor leaguers is way worse than posting something disrespectful on social media. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that both sides kind of suck. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

It's gone both ways though, what LaRussa did to Yermin was atrocious and what teams do to all of their minor leaguers is way worse than posting something disrespectful on social media. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that both sides kind of suck. 

Yeah for sure, LaRussa is an idiot for doing that. Same last year with Tatis and the Padres apologizing for a grand slam like he’s just supposed to go up there and let three strikes go by.

As for the minor leaguer thing I’m assuming you mean the service time manipulation? If so I’m with you that it’s messed up but unfortunately it’s within the rules of the CBA. It 100% needs to be addressed so that can’t happen going forward though. I’m probably missing something that makes it a bad option but maybe something where if they’re up that season for at least 20-30 games it counts as a full season for arbitration purposes. Something!

• Michael changed the title to Yermin Mercedes Retires; Unretires
2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah for sure, LaRussa is an idiot for doing that. Same last year with Tatis and the Padres apologizing for a grand slam like he’s just supposed to go up there and let three strikes go by.

As for the minor leaguer thing I’m assuming you mean the service time manipulation? If so I’m with you that it’s messed up but unfortunately it’s within the rules of the CBA. It 100% needs to be addressed so that can’t happen going forward though. I’m probably missing something that makes it a bad option but maybe something where if they’re up that season for at least 20-30 games it counts as a full season for arbitration purposes. Something!

the service time thing but also just the way minor leaguers are treated. Did you see that for one of the A's minor league teams, each player's weekly hotel fee is more than their baseball paycheck?

1 minute ago, SongInTheAir said:

the service time thing but also just the way minor leaguers are treated. Did you see that for one of the A's minor league teams, each player's weekly hotel fee is more than their baseball paycheck?

Yeah that is horrible. Saw another team sleeping in what looked like a hotel conference room on chairs and on the floor recently.

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yeah that is horrible. Saw another team sleeping in what looked like a hotel conference room on chairs and on the floor recently.

Yep. The hotel gave away their rooms cause they showed up late or something. Ridiculous.

3 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Damn that’s crazy dude. I know from old baseball buddies of mine who played in the minors that it’s basically a labor of love but pretty much pays like a minimum wage job once it’s all said and done. Something like $11-$12k over the season but that’s for the entire year so it’s like making a grand a month which is tragic. From what theyve told me though I’ve always heard the teams pay the lodging and travel. The fact that the A’s are doing that is just a complete abuse of a player clinging to their last hope of reaching a lifelong dream.

3 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Damn that’s crazy dude. I know from old baseball buddies of mine who played in the minors that it’s basically a labor of love but pretty much pays like a minimum wage job once it’s all said and done. Something like $11-$12k over the season but that’s for the entire year so it’s like making a grand a month which is tragic. From what theyve told me though I’ve always heard the teams pay the lodging and travel. The fact that the A’s are doing that is just a complete abuse of a player clinging to their last hope of reaching a lifelong dream.

Most teams don't cover housing at the lower levels, that's why so many of those guys will either live with host families or split rooms with like, 4 other teammates. 40-man roster guys obviously get more privileges, but being in those lower minors is awful. 

We will see what happens with minor leaguers with this new CBA.

Its a big issue, its become better with some organizations, but there are a lot where they truly dont give a fuck, dont care, just let the kids figure it out on their own.

We know the A's are one.

We know the Angels are one.

Supposedly the Indians take care of their kids fairly well.

I bet the Rays do as well.

I'd say its probably 50/50, maybe 60/40 taking care of players industry wide.

Which is wrong.   The way owners treat minor leaguers is pathetic, sad and a joke.  More should be exposed.

The point of consolidating the minor leagues was to kinda of avoid shit like this.  

Fuck these owners doing this. 

48 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

We will see what happens with minor leaguers with this new CBA.

Its a big issue, its become better with some organizations, but there are a lot where they truly dont give a fuck, dont care, just let the kids figure it out on their own.

We know the A's are one.

We know the Angels are one.

Supposedly the Indians take care of their kids fairly well.

I bet the Rays do as well.

I'd say its probably 50/50, maybe 60/40 taking care of players industry wide.

Which is wrong.   The way owners treat minor leaguers is pathetic, sad and a joke.  More should be exposed.

The point of consolidating the minor leagues was to kinda of avoid shit like this.  

Fuck these owners doing this. 

It's already been this way for so long that I'm sure many owners and even the players themselves just accept it as part of the game. Think about how many times a minor leaguer gets called up and their minor league struggles are embraced as being part of their journey, as if it has to be that way. 

It won't change until MLB puts strict restrictions against it.