Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FishFan95

Athletic: Marlins and Nick Castellanos

Recommended Posts

According to the Athletic, Nick Castellanos, who is projected to be the 10th best FA, (not including potential opt outs) is a good fit for the Marlins. What are your thoughts?

https://theathletic.com/1135942/2019/08/14/bowden-an-early-ranking-of-the-top-20-free-agents-who-will-available-this-offseason/?source=dailyemail

 

I will include the passage on it in the next post for those not subscribed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10. Nicholas Castellanos, OF

2019 stats:
Slash line: .285/.337/.499 HR: 16 RBI: 44 OPS+: 116 WAR: 2.0

Castellanos was buried on the Tigers, with little lineup protection and hitting in a pitchers’ park that zapped a significant number of home runs away from him. He was leading the American League in doubles when he was dealt to the Cubs, and I expect many of those doubles to translate to home runs at Wrigley Field and more hitter-friendly parks in the NL Central like Great American Ball Park and Miller Park. Castellanos is a below-average defender in right field, but his bat is real and he’s just entering his prime years at age 27. He should be ready to take his offense to a whole new level. He especially crushed left-handed pitching, as shown by his .381 average in 84 such at-bats this year. His best season with Detroit was 2017, when he belted 36 doubles, a league-leading 10 triples and 26 home runs and drove in 101 runs.

He’s off to a great start with the Cubs, hitting .380 with five home runs in his first 12 games and now has the opportunity to really build up his free free-agent value over the next couple of months. His bat and power are special, and he seems to have a new life in Chicago and is really starting to figure out how to make in-game adjustments.

Teams expected to bid: Cubs, Marlins, Giants, Mariners.

Early best fit: Marlins. Miami desperately needs to rebuild its lineup, and Castellanos would fit in nicely in its rebuilding batting order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that concerns me is his defensive reputation.

 

I'd still love to be a dark horse suitor for Rendon and/or Cole.  But reality is neither of those will be options unless we break the bank; we'll have to way outbid other teams for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where would he play? We have future first ballot Hall-of-Famer Lewis Brinson in center, Harold Ramirez in a corner, and Monte Harrison in the other corner. Castellanos would be good on a short term deal, but he'll be looking for a longer term thing, I think.

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't want him.

If we're getting any player this offseason, it needs to be a "got him a year too early" kinda guys and Castellanos isn't that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The only thing that concerns me is his defensive reputation.

 

I'd still love to be a dark horse suitor for Rendon and/or Cole.  But reality is neither of those will be options unless we break the bank; we'll have to way outbid other teams for them.

I would LOVE Rendon and he's one of the few guys I would be fine with having that would force Branderson into the OF. We're not getting Cole, the Marlins won't pay for pitching when the system is stocked with them. We might get some low-upside vets to eat innings, but we're not signing an ace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SongInTheAir said:

I would LOVE Rendon and he's one of the few guys I would be fine with having that would force Branderson into the OF. We're not getting Cole, the Marlins won't pay for pitching when the system is stocked with them. We might get some low-upside vets to eat innings, but we're not signing an ace.

Rendon is the "year too early" guy I'd want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does that make sense? Where would he play? First base log jam (Cooper/Ramirez/Diaz). Right field log jam (Cooper/Ramirez/Sanchez/Brinson/Harrison). Left field Log jam(Brinson/Ramirez/Sanchez). Plus he is going to cost real money, like 3 years 45 million. That's a lot to spend to be a back up. I'm not saying the guys who we have to play those positions are good, but in most cases I'd rather them get the playing time. 

I think unless something crazy happens I'd like to see this team win 75 wins next year. no FA yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

How does that make sense? Where would he play? First base log jam (Cooper/Ramirez/Diaz). Right field log jam (Cooper/Ramirez/Sanchez/Brinson/Harrison). Left field Log jam(Brinson/Ramirez/Sanchez). Plus he is going to cost real money, like 3 years 45 million. That's a lot to spend to be a back up. I'm not saying the guys who we have to play those positions are good, but in most cases I'd rather them get the playing time. 

I think unless something crazy happens I'd like to see this team win 75 wins next year. no FA yet.

I'd hardly factor Brinson into any form of logjam at any position.

But yeah, the FAs you sign should again be the Walker/BP/starter types to 1 year deals to (actually) flip at the deadline.  The only exception would be that "year early" star guy like Rendon that you gran while he's available.  Like with Washington, you show things are getting serious with that type of move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'd hardly factor Brinson into any form of logjam at any position.

But yeah, the FAs you sign should again be the Walker/BP/starter types to 1 year deals to (actually) flip at the deadline.  The only exception would be that "year early" star guy like Rendon that you gran while he's available.  Like with Washington, you show things are getting serious with that type of move.

Honestly I'd be 100% fine if the team took Castro's option instead of buying him out and then maybe trying to trade him this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...