Sign in to follow this  
FishFan95

Athletic: Marlins and Nick Castellanos

6 hours ago, Michael said:

Rendon is the "year too early" guy I'd want.

Yeah but I think I’m this spot, ownership should overlook the whole year too early thing. 

Rendon at 3B and Andy in RF is perfect for this team. 

If the right guy is there this off-season you get him. It’s a multi year deal anyway.

1 hour ago, DTrain said:

Yeah but I think I’m this spot, ownership should overlook the whole year too early thing. 

Rendon at 3B and Andy in RF is perfect for this team. 

Yeah, that's what I mean. This team won't be a playoff contender next year, but we get Rendon "a year too early" (IE a year before we contend) so we've got him ready to go. Kind of like Machado to the Padres, or Werth to the Nats a few years back.

I certainly understand the whole "they're not gonna win next year either so why bother" argument but signing a decent MLB player to fix a glaring weakness (OFFENSE), even when paying a bit over value (most FA signings are overpriced) isn't that bad of an idea a year in advance either.  It should improve the quality of the product on the field and thus the "experience" (jokes about who's playing aside) .  If they have the money, why not at this point?  Would he cost them a pick to sign?  That would be my other question I guess. 

Would it generate more fans immediately?  lol no.  But it should, in theory, improve the quality of the product on the field a little bit faster than if they don't and getting a better product sooner than later certainly will help a bit later in luring fans in. 

Side note - my response was in regard to signing Castellanos, not Rendon. 

I'm still holding out hope they nab Lindor if he does test the FA waters.

19 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I certainly understand the whole "they're not gonna win next year either so why bother" argument but signing a decent MLB player to fix a glaring weakness (OFFENSE), even when paying a bit over value (most FA signings are overpriced) isn't that bad of an idea a year in advance either.  It should improve the quality of the product on the field and thus the "experience" (jokes about who's playing aside) .  If they have the money, why not at this point?  Would he cost them a pick to sign?  That would be my other question I guess. 

Would it generate more fans immediately?  lol no.  But it should, in theory, improve the quality of the product on the field a little bit faster than if they don't and getting a better product sooner than later certainly will help a bit later in luring fans in. 

Side note - my response was in regard to signing Castellanos, not Rendon. 

I'm still holding out hope they nab Lindor if he does test the FA waters.

The only question would be if signing a guy now impacts their ability to sign a bigger guy later.

12 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The only question would be if signing a guy now impacts their ability to sign a bigger guy later.

If signing a Castellanos means they can't afford to sign a "bigger" guy later (especially when the last toxic contracts on the team will be going away) then they shouldn't really even own a ballclub.

Also, not a fan of holding off just because they might be planning to make an attempt at a future FA when one could be signed now that helps the team immediately. 

I'm also not saying they SHOULD sign someone like Castellanos this offseason, I'm just saying it's not a bad idea at all.  I'd be fine either way as there are pluses and minuses to both sides - both real and hypothetical.

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't know. Castellanos is 6'4". How much bigger does he have to be?