Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FishFan95

Athletic: Marlins and Nick Castellanos

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Michael said:

Rendon is the "year too early" guy I'd want.

Yeah but I think I’m this spot, ownership should overlook the whole year too early thing. 

 

Rendon at 3B and Andy in RF is perfect for this team. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the right guy is there this off-season you get him. It’s a multi year deal anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DTrain said:

Yeah but I think I’m this spot, ownership should overlook the whole year too early thing. 

 

Rendon at 3B and Andy in RF is perfect for this team. 

Yeah, that's what I mean. This team won't be a playoff contender next year, but we get Rendon "a year too early" (IE a year before we contend) so we've got him ready to go. Kind of like Machado to the Padres, or Werth to the Nats a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly understand the whole "they're not gonna win next year either so why bother" argument but signing a decent MLB player to fix a glaring weakness (OFFENSE), even when paying a bit over value (most FA signings are overpriced) isn't that bad of an idea a year in advance either.  It should improve the quality of the product on the field and thus the "experience" (jokes about who's playing aside) .  If they have the money, why not at this point?  Would he cost them a pick to sign?  That would be my other question I guess. 

Would it generate more fans immediately?  lol no.  But it should, in theory, improve the quality of the product on the field a little bit faster than if they don't and getting a better product sooner than later certainly will help a bit later in luring fans in. 

Side note - my response was in regard to signing Castellanos, not Rendon. 

I'm still holding out hope they nab Lindor if he does test the FA waters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I certainly understand the whole "they're not gonna win next year either so why bother" argument but signing a decent MLB player to fix a glaring weakness (OFFENSE), even when paying a bit over value (most FA signings are overpriced) isn't that bad of an idea a year in advance either.  It should improve the quality of the product on the field and thus the "experience" (jokes about who's playing aside) .  If they have the money, why not at this point?  Would he cost them a pick to sign?  That would be my other question I guess. 

Would it generate more fans immediately?  lol no.  But it should, in theory, improve the quality of the product on the field a little bit faster than if they don't and getting a better product sooner than later certainly will help a bit later in luring fans in. 

Side note - my response was in regard to signing Castellanos, not Rendon. 

I'm still holding out hope they nab Lindor if he does test the FA waters.

The only question would be if signing a guy now impacts their ability to sign a bigger guy later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The only question would be if signing a guy now impacts their ability to sign a bigger guy later.

If signing a Castellanos means they can't afford to sign a "bigger" guy later (especially when the last toxic contracts on the team will be going away) then they shouldn't really even own a ballclub.

Also, not a fan of holding off just because they might be planning to make an attempt at a future FA when one could be signed now that helps the team immediately. 

I'm also not saying they SHOULD sign someone like Castellanos this offseason, I'm just saying it's not a bad idea at all.  I'd be fine either way as there are pluses and minuses to both sides - both real and hypothetical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The only question would be if signing a guy now impacts their ability to sign a bigger guy later.

I don't know. Castellanos is 6'4". How much bigger does he have to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...