Jump to content

Giancarlo Stanton's Homecoming


Piazza31
 Share

Recommended Posts

Curious,

Big G is coming back to Miami this weekend, and I believe it might be his first time back down with fans.

How will you guys treat him before his first at bat?

I'd love to see him get a standing ovation from the crowd. Sucks he's no longer a Marlin- even if you guys think his contract wasn't worth it. As a player and as a member of the community- he represented us well. Him being overpaid should have been irrelevant as a Face of the Franchise.

I might try to make it out for Fridays game myself.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


He publicly requested to be traded, publicly criticized trades the Marlins made on Twitter, talked a house of shit in his Yankees press conference. I’m not applauding him, he’d probably tear his hamstring trying to thank the crowd anyway.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in AZ so I'm sure not going but I won't hate on G. I'll never forget that special month he had during his MVP season. For real I felt like a little kid again watching baseball. That was legit the best I've ever seen someone do over a month. It was utterly insane how hot he was. I can't even fathom some of the exit velocities we would've seen with the light ball they're using now. He squared everything up and it was LOUD. Such an amazing time. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

Curious,

Big G is coming back to Miami this weekend, and I believe it might be his first time back down with fans.

How will you guys treat him before his first at bat?

I'd love to see him get a standing ovation from the crowd. Sucks he's no longer a Marlin- even if you guys think his contract wasn't worth it. As a player and as a member of the community- he represented us well. Him being overpaid should have been irrelevant as a Face of the Franchise.

I might try to make it out for Fridays game myself.

 

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Big G came back in 2018 to then Marlins Park. But he will probably get a standing O. Franchise’s HR leader, probably will be for awhile 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Big G came back in 2018 to then Marlins Park. But he will probably get a standing O. Franchise’s HR leader, probably will be for awhile 😄

Not if Bryan De La Cruz has something to say about it.

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

He publicly requested to be traded, publicly criticized trades the Marlins made on Twitter, talked a house of shit in his Yankees press conference. I’m not applauding him, he’d probably tear his hamstring trying to thank the crowd anyway.

He was a great player here, great in the community, his request to be traded and his shit talking was specifically about the organization and it's clown show antics, he was very complimentary of the city and the fanbase, no reason to boo him and anyways he already came back and was cheered here before. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

He publicly requested to be traded, publicly criticized trades the Marlins made on Twitter, talked a house of shit in his Yankees press conference. I’m not applauding him, he’d probably tear his hamstring trying to thank the crowd anyway.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think he ever publicly requested a trade. Jeter came in and basically said "we're trading you" and then attempted to trade him to the two clubs that Stanton specifically asked not to be traded to (I wanna say it was Boston and either San Francisco or St. Louis?), so I don't blame him for being upset with the way things were handled. Stanton could have begged to stay, and we still wouldn't have kept him. He just wasn't part of Jeter's plans.

Stanton was great here and single-handedly kept us in the playoff hunt in 2017, and I actually don't think we will ever see someone do what he did for that stretch again in our lifetimes. He was 2001 Barry Bonds level from July through the end of the season, and without the help of PEDs.

He was always a stand-up guy and I'll forever be grateful for what he did here. He isn't quite Miggy, but he certainly means a lot to this organization.

Edited by Valid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

He was a great player here, great in the community, his request to be traded and his shit talking was specifically about the organization and it's clown show antics, he was very complimentary of the city and the fanbase, no reason to boo him and anyways he already came back and was cheered here before. 

Let me be salty!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Valid said:

I could be wrong here, but I don't think he ever publicly requested a trade. Jeter came in and basically said "we're trading you" and then attempted to trade him to the two clubs that Stanton specifically asked not to be traded to (I wanna say it was Boston and either San Francisco or St. Louis?), so I don't blame him for being upset with the way things were handled. Stanton could have begged to stay, and we still wouldn't have kept him. He just wasn't part of Jeter's plans.

Stanton was great here and single-handedly kept us in the playoff hunt in 2017, and I actually don't think we will ever see someone do what he did for that stretch again in our lifetimes. He was 2001 Barry Bonds level from July through the end of the season, and without the help of PEDs.

He was always a stand-up guy and I'll forever be grateful for what he did here. He isn't quite Miggy, but he certainly means a lot to this organization.

Remember I’m also a lifelong Red Sox Fan so seeing him in pinstripes makes him look like Hitler to me lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Valid said:

I could be wrong here, but I don't think he ever publicly requested a trade. Jeter came in and basically said "we're trading you" and then attempted to trade him to the two clubs that Stanton specifically asked not to be traded to (I wanna say it was Boston and either San Francisco or St. Louis?), so I don't blame him for being upset with the way things were handled. Stanton could have begged to stay, and we still wouldn't have kept him. He just wasn't part of Jeter's plans.

Stanton was great here and single-handedly kept us in the playoff hunt in 2017, and I actually don't think we will ever see someone do what he did for that stretch again in our lifetimes. He was 2001 Barry Bonds level from July through the end of the season, and without the help of PEDs.

He was always a stand-up guy and I'll forever be grateful for what he did here. He isn't quite Miggy, but he certainly means a lot to this organization.

If I remember correctly, Stanton had a full NTC in his contract and Jeter told him he could stay in Miami and they'd have shit around him for the duration of his career or he could waive the NTC and go somewhere else and he agreed to waive it or be on a dead-end team.  Would have kinda been interesting to see what would have transpired had he said nope, he wants to stay - how the new owners would have handled that year after year in terms of claiming they're trying to be competitive, etc.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 9:13 AM, marlinsmaniac said:

He publicly requested to be traded, publicly criticized trades the Marlins made on Twitter, talked a house of shit in his Yankees press conference. I’m not applauding him, he’d probably tear his hamstring trying to thank the crowd anyway.

He crapped on Jeter and the current regime, not the fans or the previous ones.

He wanted to stay, Jeter told him you can stay but all your friends will be gone- your choice.

Jeter traded all his friends anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...