The Bruce Sherman Thread

Erick

15 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Realmuto would have left in FA and Yelich who didn't really break out until he got the Milwaukee is having a mediocre year this year. I agree that the Yelich deal was a complete failure, but adding him to this team doesn't make us a contender. Thinking he does is as wishful as thinking that adding 2 pitchers to the 2017 team makes them a contender. Move on.

Realmuto would have stayed if the money was right. South Florida vs Philly.... he already had made roots here and he could have been our Yadier Molina. That kind of thing is attractive to a player trying to leave a legacy. Yeli only broke out in Milwaukee, but even then.... Marlins Yeli was still a plus asset and you COULD argue he would have signed cheaper had he not broken out like he did with the Brewers. Yeli wasn't motivated here outside of a playoff run, we all saw it... but if we made a run I bet he would have been our Conine 2.0.

Adding Yeli and Realmuto don't make us a contender, but it certainly keeps us in the running. Realmuto was great with framing, cERA and all the defensive metrics. We need that... AND he wasn't too bad with the bat.

So, for what it's worth, Craig Mish said in the Twitter Spaces last night that Sherman does not hold them back financially and will sign off on just about everything. The FO just hasn't really gone for it yet.

As stated in the other thread, 2022 is a year of reckoning. Put up or shut up.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Michael said:

So, for what it's worth, Craig Mish said in the Twitter Spaces last night that Sherman does not hold them back financially and will sign off on just about everything. The FO just hasn't really gone for it yet.

That really irritates me even more that they didn't bring JT back then lol. Thanks dude!

1 hour ago, Michael said:

So, for what it's worth, Craig Mish said in the Twitter Spaces last night that Sherman does not hold them back financially and will sign off on just about everything. 

Glad to hear this, several here insist that Sherman is a cheap ass limiting what Jeter and Ng can do financially. 

1 hour ago, Michael said:

2022 is a year of reckoning. Put up or shut up.

I wonder who this directive is really from because that makes a difference in some ways.

Is it from Ng who would then make on field changes? Is it from Jeter who might can Ng and other baseball operations people? Is it from Sherman who could hold Jeter accountable? 

I'm saying depending how high this directive is coming from changes who it really affects.

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I wonder who this directive is really from because that makes a difference in some ways.

Is it from Ng who would then make on field changes? Is it from Jeter who might can Ng and other baseball operations people? Is it from Sherman who could hold Jeter accountable? 

I'm saying depending how high this directive is coming from changes who it really affects.

Logically it would be on field staff under the most pressure. 

Ng will be in her second year.  GMs have a longer shelf life usually and GMs often get the chance to at least hire and fire their own on field staff before they get sacked.

So those under the MOST pressure next year would probably be those that have been around the longest...

20 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Logically it would be on field staff under the most pressure. 

Ng will be in her second year.  GMs have a longer shelf life usually and GMs often get the chance to at least hire and fire their own on field staff before they get sacked.

So those under the MOST pressure next year would probably be those that have been around the longest...

Probably the most accurate here.

Don't need to get rid of pitching development guys, do need to remove the hitting development individuals.

As far as heads rolling, no reason to change anything in the front office, too soon for that. They do need to show more urgency in making the right roster moves but besides that the changes all need to be on the field first.

And someone mentioned what if this means another teardown and rebuild? We absolutely need to be weary of that but I also don't think that's necessary at all. This front office has done a lot right in the minor leagues, so it's not about starting from scratch. It's about translating success to the majors now. So yea we can't accept a teardown now. But I think they know that. 

3 hours ago, Michael said:

That’s sounds good, but it doesn’t really add up with all the low ball offers we have seen.

I’m not saying it’s all true because I read one rumor that they did offer Marte a 3or 4 year extension worth 50M?  

Just saying, why haven’t they locked up some players already, Sandy being one of them.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FishFry said:

I’m not saying it’s all true because I read one rumor that they did offer Marte a 3or 4 year extension worth 50M?

I believe 3/39 was the high-water mark but don't know for certain.

Sandy will be approached regarding an extension this offseason.

24 minutes ago, FishFry said:

That’s sounds good, but it doesn’t really add up with all the low ball offers we have seen.

Just saying, why haven’t they locked up some players already, Sandy being one of them.  

At the end of the day, the things Mish relays to us are nothing but rumors until they happen.

Edited by FishFan95

6 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

At the end of the day, the things Mish relays to us are nothing but rumors until they happen.

That’s how I look at it or even worse now unfortunately.  The misinformation with false assurances was just another brick in my wall for how this season is handled.  

2022 roster needs some bats from a financial source and not with trades entirely.   Just trading prospects isn’t enough for me to be convinced.  I think offering  Meyer to the Angels is a desperate move because maybe they won’t spend.

Sherman needs a restructuring of Jeters’s contract based on winning not on revenue profits if he is truly serious.  Hard to blame Jeter when he’s looking out for his boss based on that.  

Just wait until 2022 is alll we can do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FishFry said:

Sounds like they low-balled Aguilar, too. Disappointing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I could see Sherman in the street and not know who he is lol so maybe that’s the way he wants it 🤷🏻‍♂️

He drives a 2016 Chevy Malibu the last time I saw him....

You can literally pass him on the street and you WOULDNT KNOW IF HE WAS THE BILLIONAIRE OWNER OF A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS FRANCHISE OR A MILITARY VET WHO GOT A GREAT DEAL FROM GM!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Michael said:

This is how I've felt - that Sherman may not be saying "here's your limit" but that the FO/Jeter haven't gone to him to get a bigger amount.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I'd imagine it trickles down from Jeter.  With Sherman just being the "ok" guy overall.  And the profitability clause in Jeter's contract doesn't exactly lead to them being eager to spend more if the directive is coming from him - whether he'd admit it or not.

2 hours ago, FishFry said:

But if the reported numbers so far are coming from the FO and never get to Sherman, then that's not on him.  And if that's the case, and Sherman keeps seeing us not signing or extending guys, he needs to step up and say "hey, why aren't we signing these guys?"  I'm giving you more to spend, make it happen.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

That’s my fear as well.

using Meyer to get an unproven bat at this point is stupid for this team.  They literally just need MLB ready bats and a catcher who can actually defend and call a great game.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Das Texan said:

There are 8 markets smaller than Miami.

This is the biggest false narrative in all of sports.

The Marlins do not play in some small market.  Its the 18th biggest market in America.

The Marlins are a low revenue club, due in large to their own ineptitude over years of mis management that the new Ownership is hopefully on the path to resolving.  

they haven't changed the minds of too many locals afaic. The numbers do not lie. The Marte trade just reinfoced it. Many of my co-workers now follow the Rays and almost every one of them used to follow the Marlins, a few of them were season ticket holders. 

When Jeter came in they had a chance to grab the community, but they fumbled that, and have squandered all of the Jeter "mystique". 

And this is the 9th largest metro area in the USA I believe. That is not a "small market".