Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Sports Illustrated has the Marlins as 3rd "most hopeless" franchise

44 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

I also love how Stanton last year said that it was the first time he was playing for a team that was not out of it by May and the media ate that up, and yet they still declare that the Marlins were a contender.

I regress, but I tend to remember that despite his lofty numbers (when he got hot after we were mostly out of the race) how many games were on the line in April and May late in the game with him at bat and runners in scoring position, cringing at him swinging at the pitch 2 feet outside and in the dirt for strike 3.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fish53 said:

I regress, but I tend to remember that despite his lofty numbers (when he got hot after we were mostly out of the race) how many games were on the line in April and May late in the game with him at bat and runners in scoring position, cringing at him swinging at the pitch 2 feet outside and in the dirt for strike 3.  

Many times.

1 hour ago, fish53 said:

Yeah Stanton was definitely wrong with that comment and, unfair as it may truly be, the fact that we were out of it as often as we were can very much be blamed on his underperformance as much as anything else so he shouldn't be throwing cheap shots in this direction. 

2 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

I also love how Stanton last year said that it was the first time he was playing for a team that was not out of it by May and the media ate that up, and yet they still declare that the Marlins were a contender.

Yeah so what is it... the Marlins broke up a contender or the Marlins were always out of it by May? How can it possibly be both? 

Well, they do acknowledge the farm system is drastically better than what it was - and correctly point out it's at the cost of fielding a non-competitive MLB roster.  They're 100% accurate also in stating that the Marlins have always ended up trading away their stars for prospects and/or cash savings.  The Marlins have also periodically had good farm systems in years past only to see the fruits of those systems be traded away once again for more prospects and/or savings.  It's really not a stretch to see why the Marlins would be ranked so low on the list when this new group has only traded away the marketable players once again for monetary savings and prospects. 

Also, the article claims by 2022 they could be back in the playoffs so how far off is that really from what the expectations were when all the trades went down?  I understand that everyone is ga-ga over having a better farm system by quite a bit but how different has that been from previous tear downs? 

The new regime will have a chance to prove they are different and thus, finally dispel the whole "hopeless" theme once it comes time to spend in FA and also when extensions are needed for the guys who end up becoming the every day starters. 

I think Angels and Jays were worse than Fish. Actually Angels remind me of "Loria's Era". 

16 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah Stanton was definitely wrong with that comment and, unfair as it may truly be, the fact that we were out of it as often as we were can very much be blamed on his underperformance as much as anything else so he shouldn't be throwing cheap shots in this direction. 

He’s also just wrong though. The marlins in 2016 especially were in contention until September. The 2014 team pretty much was as well until they broke Stanton’s face. 

2 hours ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

He’s also just wrong though. The marlins in 2016 especially were in contention until September. The 2014 team pretty much was as well until they broke Stanton’s face. 

I would agree with you that the 2016 team had the best shot as they played well in the first 4 months with 4.30 runs per game and a high-water mark of 9 games over and control of the 2nd wild card. However, the offense struggled the rest of the way with 3.64 runs per game the rest of the way and were under .500 by early September. They would have been out of it earlier if the other wild card teams did not struggle so bad.

Ultimately the offense ranked 13th in the NL in runs scored that year underscoring the inconsistency of that era's offense. However, after the death of Jose, the pitching was the thing that screwed us.

For when I read another post that no fans came out to watch Stanton when he was chasing the HR record.  Listen to the sound of no fans:

What's the actual attendance number for that game? Of course there were more fans than now when the team is nearing 100 losses yet again but it's not like we had sell out crowds when Jose was on fire and when Stanton was pushing history. People make it sound like the team and the ballpark were so prosperous during those years but being a little more interesting than 2018 and 2019 still means they were bottom tier.