Brinson and De La Cruz

11 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

If both hitting OK in the remaining games of this season, which one should be the backup OF in the next season ? or both of them ?

Brinson, so far, has shown more pop in his bat this season and last as well.  Shockingly, he's turned into a guy that appears to be a solid bench guy. He can play all 3 OF positions, has some pop in his bat, can pinch run as well - De La Cruz has some seriously sexy defense and is stupid fast but so far he hasn't shown much of anything with the bat except some infield dribblers he's legged out.  Brinson is also out of options after this season I think?  If Cruz missile has options left I'm sure they'll keep Brinson and have Cruz start out in the minors.  Maybe have JP work with both Cruz and Brinson again heavily in the offseason? 

Man, Brinson is so hard to trust though at the same time.  We've seen how utterly awful he can be and was for many years - do you give him yet another chance since he's been trending in the right direction finally? Or do you finally wish him well and see if he gains success on another team?  (if the Rays sign him we know we're wrong - if the Muts sign him then hey, we made the right call).

I'm seriously in love with Cruz's defense though and he obviously has some next level speed. 

Overall, I guess Brinson?  If Cruz starts hitting though I think Brinson is gone.

• Like 4

Na, LB has a way higher ceiling. Adam Jones’s career started out the very same way when it didn’t really click until his third shot. If he keeps hitting and can become a 260 hitter then we might be looking at a borderline all star. We already know he can play decent D and hit 20 out.

I think it is very possible that both with be on roster next year especially if a DH is added. The Marlins might want Sanchez to be the DH.

Edited by ZfromCIS
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

I think it is very possible that both with be on roster next year especially if a DH is added. The Marlins might want Sanchez to be the DH.

As of now, Aguilar is in the plans, so if he and Lewin are both on the roster, Aguilar is DHing.

Lewis Binson's career batting average after the 2nd inning hit tonight was .199773. This is the highest amount it has ever been in his career. As hot as he is it seems likely that he will finally get over the Mendoza line for a career.

At the same time, there is a reason to still be hesitant about Brinson. Coming into the game today he has a .741 OPS on the season after 125 PA. But in 2020, he had a .758 OPS after 90 PA. It dropped down to .636 by the end of the season (112 PA) as he ended the year ice cold. So Brinson could go ice cold at any point and infuriate us fans like he always has.

The reason to be optimistic is that his decent numbers are as of the start of the game, 35 PA longer than in 2020. Plus he was mainly limited to platooning vs lefties in 2020 whereas during his current hot streak, he is facing everyone and performing well against everyone. It really does seem like he has made some meaningful adjustments.

All of this in mind, if he can keep the hot streak up to minimize any loses due to slumping then we might have something here. Not prepared to hand him a starting spot, but I would be willing to pencil him in as the 4th OF with ample opportunities for spot starts. We should have a backup plan so that the season does not rest in his hands.

25 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Lewis Binson's career batting average after the 2nd inning hit tonight was .199773. This is the highest amount it has ever been in his career. As hot as he is it seems likely that he will finally get over the Mendoza line for a career.

At the same time, there is a reason to still be hesitant about Brinson. Coming into the game today he has a .741 OPS on the season after 125 PA. But in 2020, he had a .758 OPS after 90 PA. It dropped down to .636 by the end of the season (112 PA) as he ended the year ice cold. So Brinson could go ice cold at any point and infuriate us fans like he always has.

The reason to be optimistic is that his decent numbers are as of the start of the game, 35 PA longer than in 2020. Plus he was mainly limited to platooning vs lefties in 2020 whereas during his current hot streak, he is facing everyone and performing well against everyone. It really does seem like he has made some meaningful adjustments.

All of this in mind, if he can keep the hot streak up to minimize any loses due to slumping then we might have something here. Not prepared to hand him a starting spot, but I would be willing to pencil him in as the 4th OF with ample opportunities for spot starts. We should have a backup plan so that the season does not rest in his hands.

With his 8th inning homer, he is officially over the Mendoza line for the 1st time ever.