Misheard slur in Colorado

Erick

After watching this video and hearing "dinger" yelled at least by 2 other people before the original yell in question..

https://streamable.com/t/b4t4g6

Then seeing this video with Brinson talking...

And then remembering initial report was that Brinson said he hadn't heard any yells at the plate, but then says he believes the N word was still said in the video .....

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

"C'mon maaan"

It sure leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, QbanCastillo said:

After watching this video and hearing "dinger" yelled at least by 2 other people before the original yell in question..

https://streamable.com/t/b4t4g6

Then seeing this video with Brinson talking...

And then remembering initial report was that Brinson said he hadn't heard any yells at the plate, but then says he believes the N word was still said in the video .....

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

"C'mon maaan"

It sure leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

That was good to hear a longer clip - as you point out, you can clearly hear a woman and another guy also yelling "Dinger" trying to get the mascot's attention before the more vocal yell in question.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Admin said:

To get this topic back on track with the original post, I split out the other commentary related to the incident on Sunday into its own thread at https://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic/78766-possible-racial-slur-in-colorado/

Please continue that discussion in that thread and please continue the Brinson vs De La Cruz discussion in this thread here. Thanks.

What is there to continue talking about in regards to the incident? There was a clear video of the guy looking right at the mascot Dinger and calling him. That racial incident NEVER happened. 

5 minutes ago, Florida Marlins said:

What is there to continue talking about in regards to the incident? There was a clear video of the guy looking right at the mascot Dinger and calling him. That racial incident NEVER happened. 

Thats not very cash money of you.

Also, why/ how did this guy get a FLORIDA MARLINS screenname lol.

16 minutes ago, Florida Marlins said:

There is certainly more to discuss, I'd say. How the immediate response was of anger and "kill that guy" before waiting for due process and all that. Worth a discussion.

I believe we're all also glad that it turned out it was incorrect and he was indeed yelling for the mascot. Who needs to be renamed to Donger now to avoid confusion like this again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Michael said:

There is certainly more to discuss, I'd say. How the immediate response was of anger and "kill that guy" before waiting for due process and all that. Worth a discussion.

I believe we're all also glad that it turned out it was incorrect and he was indeed yelling for the mascot. Who needs to be renamed to Donger now to avoid confusion like this again.

I'll say this, knowing how the US is... even if it's stupid I had no doubt when I first read on twitter that it happened. The recent video clarifies it and thank god it wasn't true....

but you have to be a complete moron to think this doesn't happen in every ballpark everywhere. Adam Jones mentioned it years ago. It happens all the time in Boston. It's not a one time thing, it just so happens it finally was thought to be picked up on so audibly by on field mics.

An example was going to be made, and they fumbled the bag. Everyone did everything right. Call it out the second it happens and correct it. No one has been outed as the "Dinger" guy. No one knows what he looks like besides a old white guy in Rockies gear.

If Severino hadn't apologized in the moment, it would have been a bigger story about how everyone turned a blind eye to such an blatant act of racism.

5 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

I'll say this, knowing how the US is... even if it's stupid I had no doubt when I first read on twitter that it happened. The recent video clarifies it and thank god it wasn't true....

but you have to be a complete moron to think this doesn't happen in every ballpark everywhere. Adam Jones mentioned it years ago. It happens all the time in Boston. It's not a one time thing, it just so happens it finally was thought to be picked up on so audibly by on field mics.

An example was going to be made, and they fumbled the bag. Everyone did everything right. Call it out the second it happens and correct it. No one has been outed as the "Dinger" guy. No one knows what he looks like besides a old white guy in Rockies gear.

If Severino hadn't apologized in the moment, it would have been a bigger story about how everyone turned a blind eye to such an blatant act of racism.

Absolutely. Initial reaction was justified based on what was thought to be heard, and this is one case I've seen where everyone was glad to be wrong.

Kind of like science! Go off the evidence (data) you have and adjust as more evidence (data) comes out.

Just glad the guy's life didn't get full-on ruined within those first 24 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Absolutely. Initial reaction was justified based on what was thought to be heard, and this is one case I've seen where everyone was glad to be wrong.

Kind of like science! Go off the evidence (data) you have and adjust as more evidence (data) comes out.

Just glad the guy's life didn't get full-on ruined within those first 24 hours.

I mean, could you imagine if he became Colorado's own Randy Marsh? Thats where his legacy was headed. Good job by everyone not to Dox him within 3 hours.

7e5fd3de-d281-4e69-99ee-545f6e9a470f-SP1

6 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

Yeah, denying that it doesn’t happen at all would be crazy.  I believe it’s more of a random isolated problem than a belief that America is a racist nation like the media portrays.

Who knows every circumstances of mans heart, some may have experienced a trauma event that transpired in their life, so how can we judge with the degree that we are.  We need to step back and view people as lost and hurting and try and reason with one another.  I think we have done that, but one side is preaching hysteria and most of us know who it is. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

Want to hear a funny coincidence. I went to the same high school as Brinson just years before him. I am a white male that dated a black girl at that school while I went there. A whole Haitian gang tried to jump me and I gotten into multiple fights with them because they didn’t like the fact a “cracka” was dating a hit black girl. This is the sad reality that goes on every day in this country and is completely ignored because it’s some how taboo to call out racism when it’s black on white. Thousands of white kids are picked on and bullied being called “white boy” across Florida everyday and it’s overlooked yet society always wants to make up false racism against blacks. Luckily for me I could fight and trained MMA so I could defend myself but many white kids are jumped by gangs of blacks everyday. You are blind to what actual racism goes on. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Florida Marlins said:

Want to hear a funny coincidence. I went to the same high school as Brinson just years before him. I am a white male that dated a black girl at that school while I went there. A whole Haitian gang tried to jump me and I gotten into multiple fights with them because they didn’t like the fact a “cracka” was dating a hit black girl. This is the sad reality that goes on every day in this country and is completely ignored because it’s some how taboo to call out racism when it’s black on white. Thousands of white kids are picked on and bullied being called “white boy” across Florida everyday and it’s overlooked yet society always wants to make up false racism against blacks. Luckily for me I could fight and trained MMA so I could defend myself but many white kids are jumped by gangs of blacks everyday. You are blind to what actual racism goes on. 

Why does it have to be either/or? There is all kinds of tribalism and bigotry both in the US and abroad. There are situations and moments and geographic places in which the "dominant" person or group can shift.

And also there are crystal-clear statistics about different life outcomes at a group/societal level for different groups of people in the US. For example coastal vs. rural; Black vs White; Straight vs. LGBT; etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Why does it have to be either/or? There is all kinds of tribalism and bigotry both in the US and abroad. There are situations and moments and geographic places in which the "dominant" person or group can shift.

And also there are crystal-clear statistics about different life outcomes at a group/societal level for different groups of people in the US. For example coastal vs. rural; Black vs White; Straight vs. LGBT; etc.

I think that was his point?  That it goes both ways, but it seems only one type is reported.

17 hours ago, Florida Marlins said:

Sounds like you are a cracka tbh

Just now, pollythewog said:

How does it go both ways???

There are people alive from when the US literally made black people drink from a different water fountain. This country was built on the exploitation of black people and that just doesn’t go away. There’s no both ways here 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

There are people alive from when the US literally made black people drink from a different water fountain. This country was built on the exploitation of black people and that just doesn’t go away. There’s no both ways here 

All nation’s governments have oppressed humanity for power and monarchy for their self interest.  It’s never been about racism, just as it wasn’t with Hitler in his quest for world dominance.  He first had to make a lie into a truth and that’s what the media is doing today.  Different story same tactic.  

In 1865, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) was founded and extended into almost every southern state by 1870 and became a vehicle for white southern resistance to the Republican Party’s Reconstruction-era policies aimed at establishing political and economic equality for Black Americans. Its members waged an underground campaign of intimidation and violence directed at white and Black Republican leaders. Though Congress passed legislation designed to curb Klan terrorism, the organization saw its primary goal–the reestablishment of white supremacy–fulfilled through Democratic victories in state legislatures across the South in the 1870s. 

The Democratic Party used a radical idea (Klan) to scare the Black voters from casting their votes for the Republican Party.  It worked so well that Blacks have voted Democratic since.  Now the Democratic Party doesn’t need to scare them, just appease them and say it’s the white mans fault not the establishment.  Twist the arm and the body will follow. 

53 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

How does it go both ways???

Gotcha. 

So racism only = white people doing something against black people.  Can't be anything else.  Can't go the other way.

Good to know.

With that, I'm done with this thread.  Nothing good will come of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FishFry said:

The Democratic Party used a radical idea (Klan) to scare the Black voters from casting their votes for the Republican Party.  It worked so well that Blacks have voted Democratic since.  Now the Democratic Party doesn’t need to scare them, just appease them and say it’s the white mans fault not the establishment.  Twist the arm and the body will follow. 

In the 1950s/1960s the Republicans and Democrats essentially switched ideologies.    The Democrats of the 1890s-1910s that were Klan members are now Republicans in terms of ways one thinks and vice versa.

But facts always get in the way of things you want to be true now dont they.

Its one of the most infuriating ideas that gets passed around all the time.  

We repeat history because we are lazy and fail to actually study history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

In the 1950s/1960s the Republicans and Democrats essentially switched ideologies.    The Democrats of the 1890s-1910s that were Klan members are now Republicans in terms of ways one thinks and vice versa.

But facts always get in the way of things you want to be true now dont they.

Its one of the most infuriating ideas that gets passed around all the time.  

We repeat history because we are lazy and fail to actually study history.

So by your account, you’re admitting that the Democratic Party, ORIGINALLY formed the Klan for political gain?  So how then did I get in the way of facts?

Now regarding the switcheroo of the opposing parties, you really need to follow your advice and not be lazy and give some of that proof of study.  

Malcom X a minister in the 50s & 60s had a lot to say against the Liberals of his time.  This kinda goes against the water downed theory you have.  Here is the link with a quoted paragraph in the article. 

http://pge.libercus.net/.pf/showstory/201901080025/3

Malcolm X said: “The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have. If the Negro wasn’t taken, tricked or deceived by the white liberal, then Negros would get together and solve our own problems. I only cite these things to show you that in America, the history of the white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make Negros think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems. Our problems will never be solved by the white man.”

My whole point is that governments are the foundation for all the sufferings against mankind.  Of course there is racism with every race.  But it’s the establishment that has caused their oppression.  Do I think Blacks & Native Americans should be compensated (lack of a better word) yes absolutely.  But blaming the white man is like blaming a fire and not the one who started the fire.