Elieser Hernandez should be our closer next year *

4 minutes ago, TheMarlinsProject said:

* Provided he can stay healthy.

He's blocked in the rotation, his stuff is too good not to be on the roster, and he is getting better every year going into the prime of the career.

Actually, the rotation and bullpen should be stacked.  The problem is identifying who, where and when with our management.  

Meyer, Sixto, Hernandez along with Thompson, Poteet, Neidert and Garrett would be nice. 

I’d prefer they go with a 6th man rotation next year.  They could even do open bullpen games if need be with all those additions I just mentioned above. 

The depth is so much and so good that it could be managed in so many ways that it make the Rays look elementary. 

Sorry, I went a bit off the topic.  Hernandez deserves the closer spot.  I think at this point he shouldn’t be in the rotation.   

I did notice but I could have been mistaken. His fastball was only clocking in at 93-94 in his last start.   I think that would be an area of concern for me. 

Edited by FishFry

8 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Actually, the rotation and bullpen should be stacked.  The problem is identifying who, where and when with our management.  

Meyer, Sixto, Hernandez along with Thompson, Poteet, Neidert and Garrett would be nice. 

I'll take that bullpen any day over the past their prime gang of this year.

I am assuming the rotation looks like Sandy, Trevor, Pablo, Lizard, and Cabrera (maybe even keep Cabrera in AAA to save sevice time and trot out any of those guys until he's called up).

Wouldn't be surprised if Garrett spent the majority of next year in AAA too, but he's still young.

That leaves out guys like Bender and Pop, sadly Bass will take up a spot as well.

Eder will be pushing for a spot, and Jorge Guzman is going to be ready for a make it or break it year (sink of swim time).

That's a pretty damn good base and if they can figure out where the pieces line up we could see something special. 

The best part is most of those guys are under 25 and all of them are 28 or younger. (Again, sadly not Bass)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMarlinsProject said:

I'll take that bullpen any day over the past their prime gang of this year.

I am assuming the rotation looks like Sandy, Trevor, Pablo, Lizard, and Cabrera (maybe even keep Cabrera in AAA to save sevice time and trot out any of those guys until he's called up).

Wouldn't be surprised if Garrett spent the majority of next year in AAA too, but he's still young.

That leaves out guys like Bender and Pop, sadly Bass will take up a spot as well.

Eder will be pushing for a spot, and Jorge Guzman is going to be ready for a make it or break it year (sink of swim time).

That's a pretty damn good base and if they can figure out where the pieces line up we could see something special. 

The best part is most of those guys are under 25 and all of them are 28 or younger. (Again, sadly not Bass)

Forgot about Eder & Guzman  😃

That rotation is how I would roll it as of now.  They probably will do the service time with Cabrera, it’s better for later in the season and we are deep off anyway.  

I just hope they spend on bats next year.  Yeah we have tradable pieces but if the injury bug hits again we need every arm just in case. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Is it possible ?

Yes, if everyone in the bullpen can provide 2-3 good innings consistently, nobody should pitch two games in a row.

Shoot it should be doable with regular bullpens minus the rare exceptions.

26 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

He’s got 3 + pitches and a 4th average one he could be a very good starter. I love Cabrera but he’s really a two pitch guy not sure it’ll play as a starter 

One really good pitch and two OK ones, really. Is Cabrera just a two-pitch guy? Are we sure you don't have that backwards? Sir?

5 hours ago, Michael said:

Six man rotation with everyone in the bullpen capable of throwing two or three very strong innings consistently. Nobody pitches consecutive games.

That's how I'd do it, I think.

This doesn't align with #Donnieball.

As we know the approach is to pitch someone until their arm falls off and are unavailable.