Is signing a free agent a waste of time and financial resources?

Anyway spending money on free agents itself isnt a waste of time and financial resources.

The general rule of thumb is you sign free agents to supplement what you have and push you over the top and fortify positions you are organizationally weak at.

Cubs signed Jon Lester.  Without that sign (and maybe even the Hayward one) they dont win the World Series.  

You just have to be smart about who you spend money on and often have to accept the last 1-2 years wont be overly productive.

Nationals signed Max Scherzer.  That kinda worked out well.

There are so many free agents that HAVE worked that people want to gloss over the ones that dont.

Marlins have major organizational holes that would be nice to fill from a free agency standpoint if they are serious about winning.

Go sign Correa.

Go sign an OF.

Go acquire a catcher.

Go compete for the division.  

• Like 3

In discussing Edward Cabrera's debut on MLB Network, they spoke of the Marlins rotation and on the team being in last place now and their future plans and John Smoltz said "This team can go from last to first really quickly if they find offense."

Pedro Martinez said they're just one or two good free agents away from contending.

Brian Kenny mentioned run differential and said the team is not as bad as their record and that they could turn it around next year.

They listed all the current last place teams and said it's clear that the Marlins are the one team best positioned to contend next.

The point is, it's getting really obvious to everyone what this team needs to do heading into 2022... let's see if the front office realizes it and takes action.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

In discussing Edward Cabrera's debut on MLB Network, they spoke of the Marlins rotation and on the team being in last place now and their future plans and John Smoltz said "This team can go from last to first really quickly if they find offense."

Pedro Martinez said they're just one or two good free agents away from contending.

Brian Kenny mentioned run differential and said the team is not as bad as their record and that they could turn it around next year.

They listed all the current last place teams and said it's clear that the Marlins are the one team best positioned to contend next.

The point is, it's getting really obvious to everyone what this team needs to do heading into 2022... let's see if the front office realizes it and takes action.

Let’s hope the FO can figure it out too.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:27 AM, Das Texan said:

Anyway spending money on free agents itself isnt a waste of time and financial resources.

The general rule of thumb is you sign free agents to supplement what you have and push you over the top and fortify positions you are organizationally weak at.

Cubs signed Jon Lester.  Without that sign (and maybe even the Hayward one) they dont win the World Series.  

You just have to be smart about who you spend money on and often have to accept the last 1-2 years wont be overly productive.

Nationals signed Max Scherzer.  That kinda worked out well.

There are so many free agents that HAVE worked that people want to gloss over the ones that dont.

Marlins have major organizational holes that would be nice to fill from a free agency standpoint if they are serious about winning.

Go sign Correa.

Go sign an OF.

Go acquire a catcher.

Go compete for the division.  

Sure glad we made that trade for Luzardo though.  

What did you say...You make that trade 10/10 times even if it don’t work out. 

Now you post this, the obvious when we could have solidified a nice positional piece for Marte. 

What catcher do you have in mind?  

54 minutes ago, 1.618 said:

Now you post this, the obvious when we could have solidified a nice positional piece for Marte. 

To act like the Luzardo trade already didn't work out is not fair. People write off players so fast these days, Mickey Mantle would have been run out of the game after his early slump in his rookie season.

20 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

To act like the Luzardo trade already didn't work out is not fair. People write off players so fast these days, Mickey Mantle would have been run out of the game after his early slump in his rookie season.

It’s not the player for player trade.  Luzardo could be a great trade in that regard and Marte was just a rental, I get that. 

My contention from the time of the trade, was the need for a bat not a pitcher.  We had prospects and the leverage to get a nice position player. 

When everyone can see that a couple key signings could put us in contention real fast and Ng said, the pitching has been good we just need more runs, it really made me completely lose my trust that they will do the right things after that trade. 

Edited by 1.618

7 hours ago, 1.618 said:

What nice positional piece was available for the Marlins?

[b]question[/b]

To the catcher question.  I have no clue, the market isnt exactly flush with quality catchers from free agency or trade.  What I would do is focus on a defense first catcher and hope you can hide a poor hitter with an improved overall offense in 2022.

And that kind of guy is going to be cheaper to acquire both in terms of dollars and/or prospect.

Given the pitching staff of the Marlins that might make the most sense. 

6 hours ago, 1.618 said:

It’s not the player for player trade.  Luzardo could be a great trade in that regard and Marte was just a rental, I get that. 

My contention from the time of the trade, was the need for a bat not a pitcher.  We had prospects and the leverage to get a nice position player. 

When everyone can see that a couple key signings could put us in contention real fast and Ng said, the pitching has been good we just need more runs, it really made me completely lose my trust that they will do the right things after that trade. 

Let me ask again, what positional pieces were actually available that could be traded for?

27 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Let me ask again, what positional pieces were actually available that could be traded for?

How can anyone know that?  We didn’t even know Luzardo was in the mix.  

I deny any idea that there wasn’t a positional controllable player available for Marte.  You had the Giants, Yanks, A’s, Astros & Phillies as suitors and I’m supposed to believe all those teams offered pitching only?  Or that their offers were so far off that you couldn’t even negotiate a prospect or two?  Lol..We also had the high hill in leverage.   

Just ask yourself, was the trade worth the risk based on what we need right now?  How does Luzardo help score runs?

It’s like building a solid core and having a clueless manager putting them in the wrong positions to win. That’s what that trade was. 

Assuming the Marlins tried to get a position player first for Marte and assuming that no position player materialized then yes getting Luzardo after all that was the right move.

But yes we don't know if the first part of that sentence is true or not.

I get the sense their choice was some fringe prospect or Luzardo and they went with Luzardo due to his talent and previous moments of success. They believed they could make him an asset and thus make trading another young SP easier to handle. We weren't going to get a top prospect for a rental so I still am glad they went with a guy who had shown MLB success before and had plenty of control left.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1.618 said:

How can anyone know that?  We didn’t even know Luzardo was in the mix.  

I deny any idea that there wasn’t a positional controllable player available for Marte.  You had the Giants, Yanks, A’s, Astros & Phillies as suitors and I’m supposed to believe all those teams offered pitching only?  Or that their offers were so far off that you couldn’t even negotiate a prospect or two?  Lol..We also had the high hill in leverage.   

Just ask yourself, was the trade worth the risk based on what we need right now?  How does Luzardo help score runs?

It’s like building a solid core and having a clueless manager putting them in the wrong positions to win. That’s what that trade was. 

Look at the players that were moved for rentals.  Thats the level of prospects you would have gotten.

You would have bitched and moaned about the return no matter what. 

• Like 1

Just now, Das Texan said:

This weird belief that a top prospect would be moved for a rental like Marte makes no sense, given how the marketplace had played out for the last 5 years and was reinforced by how it played out this year. 

But Das, Marlins gave Adrian Gonzalez for Urbina.

in 2003. 

Things have um kinda changed a bit since then.

3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Look at the players that were moved for rentals.  Thats the level of prospects you would have gotten.

So Luzardo isn’t a top prospect now?  You won’t answer that, you just dance around on here basically.  

I already acknowledged the fact that Marte was just a rental, yet you ignore what I said about adding a prospect(s) to get a nice position player.  It doesn’t have to be a top #1 prospect LOL.  The point of my contention was not addressing the NEEDS.   

You would have bitched and moaned about the return no matter what.”  That’s completely false, but coming from a rat that jumped ship to follow the Cardinals..... 

Symptoms of a troll.

• Not a fan of the team he’s posting about. 

• Threads his team’s victories in the losing team’s post game threads.

• Talks in absolutes,  Uses one liners, no substance, makes comments but rarely backs it up after a reply (Off topic threads especially).

• Never/hardly says anything good about the teams.  

Did you even post here before you jumped ship?  If not, that’s major trolling. 

I’ll research some returns this year and bring some actual data, then get trolled with your absolute one liners.  Can’t wait!!

4 hours ago, Das Texan said:

I haven’t complained about any other trade so far, not even the Vesia trade.  You know nothing.  

33 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

He is not a prospect at all.

So you’re saying just because he isn’t a prospect that means he’s not as valuable as a top prospect?  Does it really make a difference?

6 minutes ago, 1.618 said:

So you’re saying just because he isn’t a prospect that means he’s not as valuable as a top prospect?  Does it really make a difference

I didn't say that. I am just stating a fact, he isn't a prospect whether it be fringe or top. He's a young established big leaguer with some success at the MLB level in the past and some struggles recently.