Sign in to follow this  
taiwanmarlin

Trade for wins

I called this strategy "collect the cheap and not bad players to make it to the playoffs and that's all", the Oakland win their last WS in the 1989 and the Rays never win the WS…

This is the Casey McGehee strategy.  It works for a bit but not sustainable.  If I read what the analytics people write here is that all of the fringe older players will revert (regress) to who they really are.  Cool for TBay, it is interesting to watch.  They do seem to know when to get rid of players and do pick up better castoffs than the Marlins have over the years without overpaying, which we are so famous for doing.  Anyone know where El Caballo is?

It's really easy to look at this strategy when it works for teams like the Rays and say that it is effective. The Mariners have had a very similar wheel and deal approach for years and it has slowly degraded the team to it's current state. Coaching and player development are the keys to always stay on top of things. I believe that the reason the Rays are successful with this more often than not is because they know how to milk every last bit of value from their players by using the right strategy and putting the players in the necessary spots to be successful. Still a roll of the dice, but Tampa Bay has more sides to that die that will produce a winner.