Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rmc523

Gammons/The Athletic: The Marlins are working to earn back Miami's trust, but the forecast is hazy

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

Gammons is also running loose with facts.  He claims the marlins had the highest payroll in baseball in 1997.  Not so 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/1997-misc.shtml

Yeah, but the one thing that the Marlins were first in baseball in was increase in attendance compared to the year before. They were 4th in that in 2003 as well. Something tells me that this area will support a team when it is winning.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

Yeah, but the one thing that the Marlins were first in baseball in was increase in attendance compared to the year before. They were 4th in that in 2004 as well. Something tells me that this area will support a team when it is winning.

Oh I absolutely believe that.  Miami/South Florida is very much a bandwagon town.

Fans didn't have a chance to follow up the '97 winning team with attendance the next year once they gutted it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Yeah, but the one thing that the Marlins were first in baseball in was increase in attendance compared to the year before. They were 4th in that in 2004 as well. Something tells me that this area will support a team when it is winning.

The marlins also drew well relative to the league in the four years before the World Series season.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the formula:

1. Have a team that appears exciting during spring training.  Have the public all lathered up that the Marlins are something worth their time.  

2. Have the preseason hyped team actually win early thus justifying the hype. 

3. This will in turn create a buzz heading into the summer and people will come because they’ve been hearing about how great the marlins are since March and they’re actually winning

i don’t believe this has ever happened outside of the inaugural season honeymoon period.  Even the World Series teams came as a surprise to most casuals.  There hasn’t been a team in spring with massive hype that actually delivered right out of the gates. 

 

Also it would help if the heat started sucking and people weren’t watching nba playoffs in April May and June. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

This is the formula:

1. Have a team that appears exciting during spring training.  Have the public all lathered up that the Marlins are something worth their time.  

2. Have the preseason hyped team actually win early thus justifying the hype. 

3. This will in turn create a buzz heading into the summer and people will come because they’ve been hearing about how great the marlins are since March and they’re actually winning

i don’t believe this has ever happened outside of the inaugural season honeymoon period.  Even the World Series teams came as a surprise to most casuals.  There hasn’t been a team in spring with massive hype that actually delivered right out of the gates. 

 

Also it would help if the heat started sucking and people weren’t watching nba playoffs in April May and June. 

The state of S. Florida sports in general right now is rather lame. It would be nice to see the Marlins make some noise in the offseason to generate at least a tiny bit of hype going into their season and see if they can snare a few more "fans" who look forward more to MLB games than they would going to NFL games.  Although it's going to be incredibly hard to avoid the Tank for Tua hype the Dolphins will no doubt be riding high on come next NFL draft, training camp, etc. cycle. Still, the opportunity exists to get a bit more coverage with Dolphins being lucky to eke out even 2 wins this upcoming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hovertical said:

The state of S. Florida sports in general right now is rather lame. It would be nice to see the Marlins make some noise in the offseason to generate at least a tiny bit of hype going into their season and see if they can snare a few more "fans" who look forward more to MLB games than they would going to NFL games.  Although it's going to be incredibly hard to avoid the Tank for Tua hype the Dolphins will no doubt be riding high on come next NFL draft, training camp, etc. cycle. Still, the opportunity exists to get a bit more coverage with Dolphins being lucky to eke out even 2 wins this upcoming season.

I don’t disagree with any of this.  But I want to make clear that I don’t think the marlins should be making any free agent splashes.  The team isn’t there yet.  The best case scenario would be to have a nice sized core of players that cane through the system all have breakout years in 2020 so that in 2021 the hype machine around these guys can crank up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rmc523 said:
Quote

“One of the problems with the Marlins is there’s no loyalty felt in the Miami area,”...

 

Says the guy who got rid of Mr. Marlin, Hawk, Tony Perez and Trader Jack 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fanofthefish said:

Says the guy who got rid of Mr. Marlin, Hawk, Tony Perez and Trader Jack 

Who were doing what for the team, exactly?

On top of that, the quote was given by Eduardo Perez, not Jeter or Sherman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...