Sign in to follow this  
rmc523

Gammons/The Athletic: The Marlins are working to earn back Miami's trust, but the forecast is hazy

Hopefully no one actually believes that one of the reasons attendance was bad vs the Reds was because of an approaching hurricane. 

Attendance is bad whether there’s a storm or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTrain said:

Hopefully no one actually believes that one of the reasons attendance was bad vs the Reds was because of an approaching hurricane. 

Attendance is bad whether there’s a storm or not. 

I thought the same, also at that point the storm was not the threat it became later in the week. But Gammons was implying it so who knows what he thinks about it.  

Also, I heard on the radio last week, in discussion of that low attendance during the Reds series that, even though the gimmicks like Bark at the Park and Heritage Nights were all nicely done that all the Marlins need to do to increase attendance is to bring in good players and that that was the bottom line, it was a simple as that with nothing else to it.

Now’s not the time to write an attendance article about any market.  Markets with baseball teams this far out of the playoffs at this point in the season don’t draw.  Period end of discussion.  It has been this way since before any of us were alive.  It is a long season.  Most normal people (I do not include myself in this population) turn their attention to other things this time of year unless the local team is in a playoff race.  This isn’t Marlins specific at all.  That isn’t to say the Marlins don’t have an attendance problem. They do.  But the Cincinnati series isn’t good evidence to use when analyzing the situation. 

Also, people need to stop mentioning Tampa Bay and Miami in the same attendance conversations.  The circumstances are nothing alike.  They are both Florida markets and that is where the comparison stops.  I feel very confident that if the Marlins were winning at the rate the Rays have won over the past ten years that attendance in Miami would be just fine.  If I’m wrong about that then I welcome all examination of what could possibly be wrong with this market.  But until that happens I think it’s a conversation to table for another time.  People underestimate how ownership can impact a franchise for such a long period of time.  The fact that Bruce Sherman is a silent owner, to me, is a good thing which can only help the process ongoing now. 

In 2021 I suspect some think pieces will come out about attendance again in light of how well the rebuild has gone.  At that point an examination could be done as to whether or not the rebuild has gone well or not.  That’s a sliding scale and its also premature to talk about that now. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Also, I heard on the radio last week, in discussion of that low attendance during the Reds series that, even though the gimmicks like Bark at the Park and Heritage Nights were all nicely done that all the Marlins need to do to increase attendance is to bring in good players and that that was the bottom line, it was a simple as that with nothing else to it.

We were just two good players away!

I think it's kind of "Yellow Journalism", looking for the attention to make money. There are lots of Gammons-alike guys in internet baseball community. In Korea, it was called a "keyboard warrior", which means only brave and heroic in internet world. 

1 hour ago, Bret Hart said:

"keyboard warrior", which means only brave and heroic in internet world. 

We use that term in the US too. Usually find those people on gaming forums.

• Like 1

It's interesting hearing local media/radio trying to grasp the start of the Dolphins season when it's clearly a rebuilding year.

Dolphins fans normally have some optimism at the start of each season despite being not that great for seemingly ages now but this year there is clearly diminished hope even at the start of the season. Heard a radio guy this morning saying basically "why should I even watch, what's the point knowing they're gonna suck." 

Of course I say this as a Marlins fan who has had to endure countless seasons with diminished expectations from day one so it's amusing to hear Dolphins fans having to deal with this now. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Of course I say this as a Marlins fan who has had to endure countless seasons with diminished expectations from day one so it's amusing to hear Dolphins fans having to deal with this now. 

Let's not separate the two, most of us are fans of both teams.  It is the accumulation of sucking and being mediocre that makes it tough to wait for the light at the end of the tunnel.  Thus, the negativity.  Add the Panthers endless non-playoff seasons and the Heat recently stuck in average mode and we have the professional landscape as it stands right now. 

I’m a baseball guy, so I say this with a lot of bias.  I think watching and covering a football team that is clearly rebooting is much more disheartening than doing the same thing with baseball.  Baseball takes up nearly the whole calendar.  Once the World Series ends you’ve got 3.5 months before pitchers and catchers report to spring training.  During that time you have a couple big moments in the winter (GM meetings, free agent signings, etc).  Plus the offseason coincides with the big winter holidays to fill a social calendar.  Football season is so short and you get one game a week.  The offseason is painfully long and there really is only so much analysis one can do about any football team, let alone a rebuilding one.  You can also make something out of attending a bad Marlins game.  It’s a night out at the park.  It can be relaxing.  There’s nothing relaxing about going to a Dolphins game.  It is a massive ordeal which takes up an entire Sunday and if you know they’re going to be terrible you’re going through all that trouble to sit in your seat and watch them take a beating.  That’s pretty disheartening.  The reward for being last in MLB is not as great as that same reward in the NFL.  But it is against human nature to want your team to lose.  I’d rather go 0-16 than 6-10, but I don’t want to watch the Dolphins on Sunday and root against them.  The whole thing is insane. 

But again I’m biased.  Team allegiances aside, I love baseball so I can find joy just in watching a game whereas with football I don’t get that same satisfaction unless my team is winning.  Maybe they should eliminate the NFL draft.  That would change a lot of things and perhaps you’d see less extreme NFL reboots, and more instances of teams trying to reinvent themselves piece by piece as a season goes on.  I know professional sports drafts are part of the fabric of our sports life but they carry some negatives.