Sign in to follow this  
rmc523

Gammons/The Athletic: The Marlins are working to earn back Miami's trust, but the forecast is hazy

My allegiances to the various teams I've always followed aren't all S. Florida teams but yet for some reason I tend to follow teams that are either hamstrung by shitty attendance/small market disease i.e. broke (Marlins and Pelicans), choke EVERY FACKING PLAYOFF (Sharks), or are generally run by inept boobs (Dolphins). 

Dolphins path this offseason is odd to me. It seems like they're 80% committed to rebuilding but then they pull off some truly baffling moves and/or trades that frankly just don't make a lot of sense to me.  I get that they want to rebuild and accumulate draft stock like crazy. No issues with that approach at all because that team was never going to go anywhere and they were in cap hell.  But trading Tunsil was bizarre to me as they're still going to have to turn right around and spend one or both of those firsts on attempting to find another LT to replace him. He was by far their best offensive chip, at a key position, and YOUNG to boot - just didn't make any sense to me and the Texans picks will likely be late rounders.  The other thing is starting Fitzpatrick over Rosen - just doesn't make a ton of sense.  You traded for Rosen to see if he can help the team. Sitting him isn't going to do anything for you. I guess they don't want to get him killed behind the shitty offensive line?  That's all I got there.  But yeah, they're 100% tanking for Tua and have a shit ton of very high draft picks and something like 120 million+ in cap space next season with an owner who's never shied away from spending so it can be very interesting next season and certainly the season after that. 

All of that said, I grew tired of watching the actual games years ago when Goodell started running the league into the ground with the shitty contact penalties and the obsession over trying to emulate arena league scores. And christ, WAY TOO MANY GODDAM COMMERICALS. The games are just....boring now.  I wasn't even enthralled when watching last year's MNF Rams v. Chiefs tilt.

5 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

But again I’m biased.  Team allegiances aside, I love baseball so I can find joy just in watching a game whereas with football I don’t get that same satisfaction unless my team is winning.  Maybe they should eliminate the NFL draft.  That would change a lot of things and perhaps you’d see less extreme NFL reboots, and more instances of teams trying to reinvent themselves piece by piece as a season goes on.  I know professional sports drafts are part of the fabric of our sports life but they carry some negatives. 

There is truth here.  As a baseball fan, there are enough single moments, even with a bad team, to find to enjoy.  Whether it is seeing Sandy develop or Cooper getting it done, Starlin on a great ride, yea, I can get on board with that even while seeing Chen destroy the morale of the team.  A bad football team is unwatchable as there will be too few highlights to care about.  It is much more a team sport and if the team breaks down, like the O-line sucks, it is doom for every other position player.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, SilverBullet said:

What's Chip Bowers up to these days? 

That was still odd haha.

On 9/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, SilverBullet said:

What's Chip Bowers up to these days? 

In the AutoNation seats looking backwards at the Miami Skyline.

• Laugh 2

4 minutes ago, fish53 said:

In the AutoNation seats looking backwards at the Miami Skyline.

Wrong.

He's standing there.  It's a SRO section.

• Love 1